Kia Forum banner

Winter Tires

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  PLP 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a set of winter tires for my Sedona. I think I'm going with Hakka R2's on new steel rims, but I don't want to fork out $250+ for new TPMS sensors... Does anyone know what the vehicle does if the TPMS is down, ie is it just a light on the dash, or does it beep every once in a while. p.s. I'm in Canada so TPMS sensors are not required by law...

Thanks,

#2 ·
To my knowledge, the k 900 is the only kia in Canada that has TPMS. Do you know 100% for sure that you do? I was shocked to find out my 2015 sorento and 2014 forte didn't have them.
But if you do, there will be a light on all the time and might just be a beep or warning when you first start the vehicle. That's how it is on other vehicles that I've seen with them. But I would see if you even have them first.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

#4 · (Edited)
You picked I guess the most expensive tire... I understand you are looking for best grip, but consider other brands as well. Is the expense justified? Maybe some Generals or Michelins?
Generals being the low end of price provide very good traction comparing to much more expensive tires.
Just my 2 cents.

Now, regarding TPMS.
If you DO have it, the outcome of having the system down is only a TPMS light on the dashboard. Car will drive like it used to.
If you; however, want to have TPMS, look what model it is. Say, ask dealer for price for a TPMS sender and get the part number, for example 52933-2G000. Then, look on eBay. Get a used set. I got my two cars equipped with used OEM TPMS kits and they work flawlessly.

Such as this one
Set of 4 Hyundai Kia Tire Pressure Sensor TPMS Factory 52933 2G200 TS4 HK01 | eBay

Again, it may not fit, as I do not know what TPMS is installed in Canada. If AT ALL.

Also to my knowledge, any vehicle equipped with them from the factory must have them by law but I don't think it's enforced or anything. Just might be a liability thing if your in an accident.

It is enforced in the USA. I think Canada does not require TPMS by law, as it does down here. DiscountTire will not mount wheels without TPMS on a car factory equipped with TPMS.

EDIT:
KIA.CA shows TPMS, so maybe they started adding them...
Kia Owners' Guides | Video Guides | Kia Canada
but it seems that only K900 has TPMS, just like @rick021808 stated earlier.

#5 ·
For tires, I have blizzak dm-v1 on the sorento and studded firestone winterforces on my Forte. The studded winter forces have slightly better traction on ice but they are very loud and don't have the best dry pavement traction. The blizzaks almost feel like an all season tire on dry pavement but on ice and snow, they still grip very well. The hakka's are very good tires but probably have a bigger price tag.

#6 ·
Sorry, don't know about the Sedona, but check to see if the TPMS sensors are generic or the ECU needs to be programmed for the new sensors. A real pain. On the Optima, I would only do an install when necessary and the light remained on, even pulling the fuse, the light remained on.

I would also look at some snowflake snows that are less expensive, but if cost is not a concern, go for it.

#7 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info. I've gotten a few quotes for Blizzaks dm-v2, hakka r2, and a couple of cheaper brands but the price difference is only 10-30 per tire. Main reason to go with the hakka r2 is that the local shop who gave me the price was extremely polite and helpful (and searching the internet for tire ratings was very tiresome and controversial). Haven't went to Crappy Tire for a price (Altimax Arctics), but I don't like going to big business'. The brochure I got from the dealer states all 2015 Sedona's in Canada have the sensors, and all of the shops have given quotes on the sensors 50-60 each installed.

#8 ·
. The brochure I got from the dealer states all 2015 Sedona's in Canada have the sensors, and all of the shops have given quotes on the sensors 50-60 each installed.
Yes, they have sensors, but what needs to be done when new sensors are installed? Our Acura, as many new cars, will accept the new sensor and after maybe 25 miles will accept and read accordingly, however, the Optima will not read new sensors as they must be programmed into the computer, which means it needs to be done fall and spring, extra $. Sedona?

#10 ·
If you DO have TPMS its light should come on when starting the car (ignition ON).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.