Kia Forum banner

2015 Sedona L,LX,EX Real World MPGs.

14K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  rcsr39 
#1 ·
I found the vehicle fairly getting the highest is 22mpg on a 26miles drive combine city and highway. In fact, it's still in break-in period. The lowest I got is 12mpg, pretty much heating up and waiting mode. On it's 930 miles ODO, no issue had been noticed so far.

#3 ·
Spicy and Cliff

Are the MPG quotes above from the on board computer or your own calculations? My first tank has done very poor for the hand calculated at 16MPG. But the computer said 18.9 mpg. I am sure this will improve. But I am not so sure about the accuracy of the displayed MPG. I will follow up on my next fill.

#4 ·
@james, this was based on the computer on board calculation. Information displayed everytime I turn off the Vech although you can displayed it everytime you wanted. I hope MPGs will gone up later if not very soon. I experienced my old Sorento, got a decent MPGs on her 60k miles. This mileage was on her fully break-in stage. The earlier you broke-in the car the earlier you can get a good mileage.:)

#5 ·
My gas mileage has been pretty decent; close to what I was getting in my 2014 Odyssey (20-21) Since I have had my car I have put on 1500 miles (city and hwy 60/40) I have consistently gotten around 20mpg.

The onboard calculations have been pretty close for me.

One thing that I have noticed is that the Sedona gas mileage is sensitive to the slightest tough of the accelerator. If you hint at touching the accelerator gas mileage drops from the mid-20s to less tha 10mpgs. This was not such a problem with my Odyssey.

Still love my Sedona and MPG is about average, just not Odyssey great.

#10 ·
This is not what I wanted to hear about the Sedona. We're in the mini-van market and have enjoyed a 2010 Sienna for over five years. We just went on a 500-mile trip (each way) and got 26-27 mpg on most of the 300 to 350 mile runs. The main reasons we want to trade the Sienna are to get current tech and a power liftgate. We'll still drive one to check it out but the early reports on the Sedona are not encouraging. Its beginning to look like its going to be a Toyota or a Honda.

#14 ·
We had a Sienna for over 10 years and 190K miles on it. We got fairly consistent 26 - 27 mpg with a lot of highway driving and not much city driving. On our Sedona, with 700 miles on it we are getting 24 mpg as indicated on the computer. I had a Miata and did an multi-thousand mile test on comparing the actual to the indicated mpg and found them to be fairly close with the slight difference being attributed to errors in the fill-up even though I tried to be as consistent as possible, I am hoping the Sedona mpg goes up some after break-in.

#11 ·
1sax, I hear your concern about the vehicle's MPG. You're probably let go off the Sedona since nobody will guarantee you as of now what will be the MPG's after the engine breaks in. Although it shows lower MPG in compare the main players. According to my experience, the longest I travel is 60 miles straight in a highway. I'm getting 26MPG so far, I'm happy with that. :) Which is fairly above the stated MPG.

#12 ·
Hi 1saxman, what tech are you specifically looking for on your new van? I'm in the same boat as yourself and have been looking closely at the Sedona mainly for the Tech package. As far as I can tell the Odyssey is lacking in many of the tech features that I'm interested in like (adaptive cruise control, heated steering wheel, ventilated seats and rear cross traffic alert). You can get all these things except for ventilated seats on the Sienna but the cost will be high around $44k. And what I'm finding out is Toyota does not deliver Sienna's with the Tech package to the Northeast region. I can't seem to get an answer as to why that is the case. I still think the Sednona SXL with the Tech package is a good deal only f you can get it at the low end of Truecar pricing of around $39k. So far I haven't been able to find a dealer to honor that pricing but I have time to wait for the best deal. Good Luck and let us know what you finally decide.

#15 ·
We just drove from South Florida to Chicago area for a family visit. I set the cruise control on 75 for the entire trip (I am now a fan of the 'smart' cruise control on our SXL after this trip) which took us through some mountains in Georgia, Tennessee [Monteagle] and Kentucky. We had about 750 pounds of passengers, luggage, equipment. I didn't total the gas and calculate actual mpg, but the indicated average for the entire trip was 25.5 mpg. I think I'll try calculating the mileage on the return trip in a couple of weeks and compare that to the indicated average. By and large, I am pretty happy with 25.5. That beats the Honda Pilot I traded by 5mpg.
A little off topic, but overall, I am also really happy with the vehicle. It is super comfortable for us and quite easy to get in and out of (my wife and I are near 70, so those were 2 of our main criteria). I also thought quite a bit before I spent the extra $$ on the SXL and on the Tech Package, but I am glad that I did. Those are handy features. And the ride is really smooth.

#16 ·
Omp; I would be happy with 25 mpg on mine. I am leaving on Thur for a trip to IN and back and I think I will do like you suggested; i.e. use the Kia mpg on the way up and calculate it on the way back. I think that the ups and downs will be about equal both directions.

We are both 75 and the only reason we got the Kia was due to the lounge seats in the 2nd row. My wife has a lot of physical problems and being able to ride with her feet elevated will help a lot on a long trip, even though Kia says not to ride with the feet elevated. I would have compared the Toyota and Honda to the Kia before I bought anything, but once she saw those seats it was game over. We also have a problem of the high step getting in and out and are looking for running boards like we had on our Toyota. So far, the only '15 ones we have heard about are available in Australia! If they have them in Aussie land, why can't they be had here? Doesn't make sense, but they are available for the '14's so I guess that eventually they will be available here, hopefully while we are still using the van.

Our '04 Toyota had the smart cruise control and I was afraid that a new van may not have it. Fortunately, the Kia does and i love it. Now if only my Camaro had it!

#25 ·
I have not made a comparison between actual and displayed mpg yet, but hope to do it some time. Right now the displayed mpg is in the high 23's and low 24's from mostly highway driving. My Toyota Sienna ('04) got a regular 26 -27 mpg and did a comparison with it and found the displayed and actual to be very close, as with my '09 Miata. Hopefully when things settle down a little around here I will get a chance to make the comparison and report it here.

#27 ·
Here's something I don't quite understand. The 2016 Sedona has 21 gallon gas tank. The low fuel light goes on when range is around 30 miles. It only takes about 17.3 gallons to fill. Are there really 4 gallons of gas sitting in the tank or is the practical tank size only 18 gallons or so.

Current mileage is between 19.5 to 22.

#34 ·
Vehicle fuel tanks have been designed with a reserve amount of fuel for nearly a century. How it works is, the fuel gauge is made so it shows 'E' a little early. With the 'low fuel' light, its the same thing - it's a warning that you are dangerously low on fuel. These reserve amounts are variable with fuel tank size and vehicle fuel efficiency, so with a larger tank and a low MPG vehicle you would expect a larger reserve. You can figure out just how much reserve is in your tank by knowing the stated capacity of the tank and filling it up when the indicator is on 'E'. Since fill-ups can be variable based on vehicle attitude and fuel temperature, over a period of time you can get pretty close with this estimate. Then you simply apply your average MPG to know how many miles you have in reserve. But all this is essentially for use in a fuel emergency; normally most everybody will fill up or at least get gas when it gets down to 1/4 tank (indicated) so they don't have to worry about how much reserve they have. It only comes into play when, for whatever reason, you push it to the limit.

#28 ·
There's no detailed information yet what is the exact gallons left if the fuel light goes on. If someone knows, please share here. As per fuel tank capacity, owner's manual says it's 21 gallons. I don't know how much/many gallons extra space of the tank. Sometimes, it depends on how we fill the tank and it's not perfect to achieve the 21 gallons per refueling. On the other-hand, Shall we say, you have 4 gallons left in the tank and fuel led is on. That's safely and enough for you to know that you need to fill-up. 19-22mpg is not bad and it will improve as the car goes breaking-in. :)

#29 ·
I got my 2015 three weeks ago and I have driven three full tanks so far ( around 20 gallons each) I'm getting around 235 miles for a full tank (i.e 11.5 mpg) this is concern me little bit because it is way lower than the advertised mpg values for this car.
My car has 800 miles on its odometer reading.
My driving is mostly in city but My driving behavior is very conservative ( no hard accelerations/breaking)
The best computer mpg reading I have seen so far is 17 while the lowest was 10

Is there a problem with this car ?
Will these readings change after the break-in period

Any similar experience for any of you folks ?

#30 ·
Welcome to the community, We would be glad if you will fill some of the information in your profile. If your living in mountainous or hilly or the elevation is more higher than average, it would be a factor. It's still hard to tell since you car is still very new. We experience the same reading when ours still new but gradually it changes as it's breaking-in. Driving habits is also a factor and vehicle load. An open windows at speed will affect it's mileage since it's dragging. A road condition is also considered, humpy and unpaved roads will put you into a stop and go situation and when you're in standing by and on idle, that also will pull down your mileage readings. Just make sure turn off your ECO mode, it's not effective in city driving(IMO). Keep it up.. I would be glad if you can post some of your Van's photos..:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.