where do i start?
Try Googling 'Kia Code P0480'.

For example the first hit I got was:
Kia Motors

Generic OBD Error Code Details for P0480

Fan 1 Control Circuit

What does this mean?

OBD Code P0480 refers to
The electric cooling fan is controlled by the powertrain control module (PCM) through the cooling fan relay based on inputs from the following components: - The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor - The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor - The A/C selector switch - The A/C refrigerant pressure sensor - The vehicle speed sensor (VSS) The PCM controls the cooling fan by grounding the cooling fan control circuit which turns ON the cooling fan relay. The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON when the following conditions are met: - The engine coolant temperature reaches 106C (223F) or more. - The A/C clutch requested. - The vehicle speed is less than 38 MPH. The cooling fan relay will be commanded ON regardless of vehicle speed when the following conditions are met: - The engine coolant temperature is 151C (304F) or more. - The A/C refrigerant pressure is high. The cooling fan may be commanded ON when the engine is not running under a fan run-on conditions described in the electric cooling fan general description portion of the service manual.
Symptoms

Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0480
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Engine overheating

Causes

Possible causes of OBD code P0480
- Fan control relay harness - Fan control relay connector - Fan control relay - Cooling Fan 1 The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: The P0481 code is detected when the PCM detects that the commanded state of the driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match.
Possible Solutions

- Replace the malfunctioning fan control relay 1 - Replaced cooling fan 1
#3 (permalink) Old 10-20-2012, 10:25 AM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)

ill try the relay, thx
#4 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 05:55 AM

the relay is ok, i checked to see if the fan module was getting power and it is not, any ideas?
#5 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 06:31 AM

Drives: 2004 Carnival, 2.5L KV6 / GV6 / K5 engine

The ECU (or 'PCM' as its described in the Kia description of the P0480 code above - 'The Computer that Controls The Engine' in other words) controls the fan via the relay.

Where you say you checked, and the fan module was not getting power, I assume you are testing this with a meter.

Do you mean that there's no +12v on the 'battery' side of the relay switch contacts?

Or that the ECU is not powering the relay coil when you would expect the ECU to have the fan switched on?

Peter

Last edited by PeterBlue; 10-22-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: Added reference to 'PCM'
#6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 10:25 AM

(Thread Starter)

there is power going to the fan relay, the relay clicks when the vehicle is turned on, when i put the defroster and /or the ac on and check the plug going to the fan module there is no crrent going to it, would the relay click if it was bad?
#7 (permalink) Old 10-22-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick7 View Post
there is power going to the fan relay, the relay clicks when the vehicle is turned on, when i put the defroster and /or the ac on and check the plug going to the fan module there is no crrent going to it,
Where you say there is no current going to the fan module, I assume you are using a meter to determine this.
In that case, have you used the meter to check that there's +12v on the 'battery' side of the relay switch contacts?

I'm assuming here of course you would have checked the fuse long ago!

Quote:
would the relay click if it was bad?
The clicking indicates that the relay's coil is ok, but the relay's contacts could be bad e.g. burnt.

The first thing to verify is that you have 12v on the 'battery' side of the relay. Then, with the relay activated check if that 12v is appearing on the fan side of the relay.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 10:06 AM

(Thread Starter)

i hate to sound like such a novice but how do i check the fan side of the relay, thanks for your help
#9 (permalink) Old 10-23-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
i hate to sound like such a novice but how do i check the fan side of the relay, thanks for your help
No problem, people on this forum are here to help. But firstly, with reference to your post of yesterday where you said:

Quote:
when i put the defroster and /or the ac on and check the plug going to the fan module there is no crrent going to it
- can you tell me how you established that there was no current going to the fan module?

That suggested you have a meter to check the voltage to the fan module, and if that's the case I can give you some further pointers on how to diagnose this.

Also, can you just confirm that you have checked the cooling fan fuse? (Labelled 'C/FAN', 40A, & in the under-bonnet/hood fuse & relay box on mine - yours may differ).
#10 (permalink) Old 10-24-2012, 09:39 AM

(Thread Starter)

i plugged the 60a fan relay in and checked the each of the 4 prongs with a multimeter, 3 of the four registered approx 14v, the fourth nothing, i then checked the plug that goes into the fan module, i probed the six holes and only one had power and only 2v, not sure what that means

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+