User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 12:14 AM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default Anyone program a key fob on 2006+ ?

Over the last decade I've always had 3 or 4 key fobs for each of our vehicles. Just bought a new 2012 Sedona, it came with two. I have searched online and come across two items of interest. One or two sites indicated that only two key fobs could be programed to the Sedona at any given time. That's not good news. And the other is that all the instructions on how to short the two pins in the connector (to program new fobs) are for the 2005 and previous years. Everything I find on 2006-2012 say that it must be done by the dealer or a locksmith. Can this be true?

Thanks
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Yes, keyless entry transmitters must be programed at a dealership. Just like most other car company's.
#3 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)

A misnomer ...
The FOB is not programed to the car...The car is programed to the fob's transmitted ID number. Each FOB has a unique code and the ECM is programed to "accept" that code as a valid one for that car.
The ECM can only (so far) be programed at a dealership because the programing and stored values are encrypted. Liability wise ...this is smart. An incorrect value placed in the ECM's EEPROM could cause a devastating accident from loss of control.They "lock" it to keep this from happening and the lawsuits that would follow. No one so far has taken the time to "break" the encryption as was done on Hondas and Toyotas as people will pay the hacker(s) to reprogram the ECM for performance and not pollution settings. When KIAs get as popular someone will break and post the information.
Dave
#4 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 04:58 PM

Drives: 2011 Sportage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesSpectra View Post
A misnomer ...
The FOB is not programed to the car...The car is programed to the fob's transmitted ID number. Each FOB has a unique code and the ECM is programed to "accept" that code as a valid one for that car.
The ECM can only (so far) be programed at a dealership because the programing and stored values are encrypted. Liability wise ...this is smart. An incorrect value placed in the ECM's EEPROM could cause a devastating accident from loss of control.They "lock" it to keep this from happening and the lawsuits that would follow. No one so far has taken the time to "break" the encryption as was done on Hondas and Toyotas as people will pay the hacker(s) to reprogram the ECM for performance and not pollution settings. When KIAs get as popular someone will break and post the information.
Dave
I bet the ECM programming is in Korean, it is translated with the scanner and if its OBD II scanner just the required ODB II is in english...
#5 (permalink) Old 12-10-2011, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

Even if it is programed in Korean it's also encrypted... The data that "is" supplied to the OBDII scanner is in the clear (unencrypted). They don't want anyone (even the dealer) changing data or programing. Any ECM/TCM/BCM updates are also encrypted so the dealer/service dept can only "update" what was provided to them with no knowledge of actually what "code" was supplied.
Dave
#6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2011, 11:27 PM

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)

I get that we're "programming" the car's computer to recognize the new fob, but both Chevy and Ford allow the user to to program new fobs and the instructions are spelled out in the owners manual. Albeit its a lot of, for example, turn the key off and on three times and press the power door lock button once, then the lock button on each remote, etc... but, there you go. Its not like we or the dealer are burning a new eprom chip. I get it, they want me to go the dealer for everything. By the way, I've asked and the dealer wants $86 for a two button fob (with panic button) and an additional $20 to program it; while you can buy a brand new one on the web for $25 but they won't program it.
#7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 04:15 AM

Drives: Carnival EX Limited

Is there any way of having two key fobs with the same 'unique' code?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Super Moderator

rogan...
No...They all are unique and must have the ECM programed to "accept" a new fob's code.
Dave
#9 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 10:53 AM

Drives: 05 Amanti

Hello......
I reside in South Florida and the new owner of a 05 Amanti and a new member on this forum. I purchased a key and a fob on line. I took them both to a locksmith in Boynton Beach and they cut the key to where it opens and locks the doors but, alas, they could not program the "chip" in the key. If my Amanti was a 07 or newer they could program it but not the first gen Amanti's. They programed my exsisting and new fob and they both work as intended. The dealership wants 165.00 just to program the key. Am I at their mercy? It sounds outrageous that they can get away with this pricing.
I am very satisfied with my Amanti and eager to learn all I can about it. Any info would help. I have found this forum to be extremly informative and I'm glad I joined.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2013, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcapeetan View Post
Hello......
I reside in South Florida and the new owner of a 05 Amanti and a new member on this forum. I purchased a key and a fob on line. I took them both to a locksmith in Boynton Beach and they cut the key to where it opens and locks the doors but, alas, they could not program the "chip" in the key. If my Amanti was a 07 or newer they could program it but not the first gen Amanti's. They programed my exsisting and new fob and they both work as intended. The dealership wants 165.00 just to program the key. Am I at their mercy? It sounds outrageous that they can get away with this pricing.
I am very satisfied with my Amanti and eager to learn all I can about it. Any info would help. I have found this forum to be extremly informative and I'm glad I joined.
We get $45.00 to programe a key or transmitter. (kia dealership).....try another Kia dealership to see if they will do it cheaper.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+