LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default HELP! Codes P0171 & P0174

2006 Sedona. The ses light has been coming and going for about 2 weeks now. Finally took it down and it kicked po171 and p0174 codes! What are these and why would it cause the ses light to come on/off so much? What can I do to fix it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Veteran

Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkiaguy View Post
2006 Sedona. The ses light has been coming and going for about 2 weeks now. Finally took it down and it kicked po171 and p0174 codes! What are these and why would it cause the ses light to come on/off so much? What can I do to fix it?
ses light? Do you mean check engine light?

P0171 Bank 1 Too Lean
P0174 Bank 2 Too Lean

Remove the engine cover, remove the air intake boot and look at the underside. Be sure to flex it. You'll probably find the boot is splitting. This will throw both codes because you have unmetered air entering the intake system. When you are accelerating or decelerating, the movement of the engine is opening and closing the boot, causing your codes to turn on/off. When you replace the boot, be sure to save the old one or order the attaching bellows with it. The bellow holes in the new boot are bigger and you can cut the ones off the old boot to adapt it on. Hope this helps.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo, for Kia parts catalog Mobis
#3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2010, 07:28 PM

(Thread Starter)

Wow, you are exactly right! There were what 4 different splits underneath! Would this be covered under warranty since I paid for the full 100k?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:13 PM
Veteran

Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkiaguy View Post
Wow, you are exactly right! There were what 4 different splits underneath! Would this be covered under warranty since I paid for the full 100k?
Air intake boot was only basic 5 year/60k mile warranty.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo, for Kia parts catalog Mobis
#5 (permalink) Old 12-27-2011, 05:17 PM

Default Similar Problem with our '07 Rondo

Thanks much, Pacosworld, for the great tip off to error codes PO 171 & 174!

Our KIA Rondo V-6 was setting these codes regularly with drivability and economy suffering badly. There were other related engine operation codes also being set almost immediately after they were cleared, but 171 & 174 were the regulars.

It turns out that the boot hose clamp screw was stripped on throttle side of the air intake boot, not allowing a tight enough seal and obviously leaking fresh unmeasured air sufficiently to cause the lean 171 & 174 bank codes to set.

I would have never found it without the assurance of your post, which caused me to look very closely at the boot and at the contact marks on he inside of the boot found not to be uniform. It was then I stumbled on the stripped clamp screw.

With no dealers open, I simply switched screws with the other large clamp which had a different tightening range on it and 'Viola! it ran like a champ.

I read and reset the codes and they have not reappeared after a number of miles since the repair was made.

This is my first post on this great website!

Last edited by biggbill; 12-27-2011 at 05:19 PM. Reason: spelling
#6 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 04:08 PM

I have a 2006 Sedona with the same problem last week. I will replace the boot tomorrow, but how do you reset the codes?
#7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:00 PM

Drives: Kia, Suby Wagon, watercooled VW

Clearing OBDII codes- there are 2 ways I know of to do this - works on every car I've seen (but I havent seen all cars yet...)

1) Disconnect the battery - or just pull the fuse that powers the ECM - leave it de-powered for at least 10 or 30 minutes. Disconnecting the battery also loses radio presets...

2) Find someone with a code reader, or go to FLAPS/McParts store (here in the US they are Autozone, western Auto, Advance, Pep Boys...) Most of the chain car parts stores have a code scanner that they will hook up and read your codes for you.
few of the stores will clear the codes for you, but all you need to do is ask them to hook up the scanner (its a hand-held box), then when its connected and the employee shows you the screen with the codes, ask him/her to let you see and touch the scanner, when they do, drill down through the menu and select the option that says "clear codes" (some scanners have a 'clear codes' button). Different scanners work different ways, but they are all pretty simple (menus with up and down arrows etc.).
Parts store employees wont clear the codes themselves because of some corporate concerns about liability (?(, but they normally wont stop you from doing it on your own (just using their equipment, which is already hooked up...)

-John
#8 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Veteran

Drives: 06 Sedona EX, 06 Sedona LX, 07 Optima EX 2.4L, 13 Optima Hybrid LX, 09 Amanti Premium, 14 Forte EX
Garage

My Sedona is throwing the same codes. But, what I can't figure out, is on a cold start I am getting the charging system malfunction light and low brake fluid warning light - they are on for about a minute, then go off. I can't figure it out....also, when I shut the van off, the headlights blink on for a split second. So weird.
#9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Veteran

Drives: 06 Sedona EX, 06 Sedona LX, 07 Optima EX 2.4L, 13 Optima Hybrid LX, 09 Amanti Premium, 14 Forte EX
Garage

Well, I went out and checked it.....um, so yeah, I will be replacing it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10308.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	10217   Click image for larger version

Name:	SDC10309.jpg
Views:	1384
Size:	129.7 KB
ID:	10218  

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+