Drives: Kia Grand Carnival Premium 2007
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default 2007 Grand Carnival Power Door issues

Hi,

I thought I would post up here to see if anyone has had similar issues with the power doors on their Kia Grand Carnival or might know a solution to help my dealer solve this once and for all. I have the 2007 Premium version.

The doors have faulted many times over the past 18 months even while sitting in my garage on totally flat concrete. They sometimes refuse to open, and just beep, othertimes they won't close and just beep at me. Also I've had a problem where they just stop in cycle! It's totally intermittent, I've had it back to the dealer 5 times and they can't find a fault. I've driven it home and it faults again! Murphy's law I suppose!

The dealer has replaced the latch motor and actuator motor over the past few months out of good faith but the problem still exists. Also yesterday I put the kids in the car (door has to be manually opened and closed), drove to day care, and the door refused to close both manually or automatically. I phoned the RACQ, they said the latch at the bottom of the door wasn't releasing as normal and the motor was just pushing against it. We got it shut but that door is not useless because it will jamb again if I use it.

So the local dealer is getting it back again. The pain is that I take it up there for them to fix it and they have to order a part (always from Sydney) while takes 2 days, so it has to go back again!

I'm seriously thinking of taking the thing apart myself to check it over. Does anyone have a manual or schematic for the sliding doors?

While I'm here....

Other problems I've come across is a faulting indicator. It stopped working, so I bought a new bulb and drove out the dealership and all the way home with the indicator working again. turned off the ignition and it stopped working again. I replaced the bulb (who the hell came up with the idea that you have to dismantle half the car to replace a bulb needs their head read), but it's now working again. Strange!

Also. When I bought the car I took it back because an alarm dings for ages if I take my seatbelt off while the car running but is stationary, in park with the handbrake on! The dealer said they couldn't do anything about it because it was a safety feature????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:46 PM

Anyone else had power door issues?

Just after I posted the above post the door totally jambed, had to call RACQ to fix it and I was unable to use the door until it went into the dealer yesterday. Took it back to the dealer and they said the cable that unlatches the door when you pull the handle had come loose. They had it all day to do that.

I get it home and now there is no power door function at all.

Is this just my local dealer or a Kia Grand Carnival problem? It's totally frustrating to the point that I'm starting to hate this damn car. I wrote to Kia Motors Australia 2 weeks ago, haven't heard a thing back from them.

Also does anyone know where I can get a electrical diagram for this car, or a service manual that tells me how to take the panels off the sliding door. I would like to take a look in there myself and call a automotive electrician to take a look for me.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 08:32 PM

I had the same issues with ours, I hope this helps, Tynan motors at Kirawee found a technical service bulletin"TSB #KFE 09-92-P180-VQ..A02VE".

Get Kia Australia involved and liase with your mechanic, often this doesn't happen. The mechanics dont' follow the technical service bulletins and think they know it all.

Good luck.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 12:28 AM

Thanks cj2609,

I emailed my service centre with that info to see if they can take a look at that technical service bulletin. Us laymen don't have access to their technical service bulletin.

I got the jambed door fixed. It seems that the cable that unlatches the door came off it's clip. Now I just need to get the intermittent power issue fixed and I'll be happy. It's starting to become annoying, and to the point that I'm thinking of trading this in if it can't be resolved to my satisfaction.

Already wrote (not emailed) to Kia-Motors Australia and as yet 3 weeks later I haven't heard from them. A bit disappointing really.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-26-2010, 02:39 AM

Dealer just let me know they have already done that technical bulletin!

Still I accessed kiatechinfo.com and they had a great chunk of info under "Body Electrical System" which had a number of problems, and possible tests/solutions to the issue.

I forwarded it to the dealer to see what they have and haven't done from that check list. They probably think I'm being pushy but they have had it in there 5 times and it's still doing it, so it looks like I'm going to have to stick my nose in!

Last edited by lacehim; 10-26-2010 at 02:46 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-16-2010, 02:22 AM

I'm probably talking to myself but it feels good to vent.

Dealer ran over the USA Sedona VQ checklist that I got from kiatechinfo.com but they said some items where USA specific. Didn't find anything at fault, and once again the door worked while it was at the dealership.

I phoned Kia, who after 4 weeks hadn't responded to my postal letter. They said it probably got lost in the mail! Explained the problem and the only resolution they could put forward was to take it back to the dealer when it's not working to show them.

That's all well and good, but if I take it in tomorrow to show them they will have to book it in later that week to look at, and murphy's law it will be working that day. Also it's not convenient to be taking it back numerous times. I've had it back 5 times since it's last service for this issue.

I did press the point with Kia by phone that they've changed all the compenents as per Kia's technical information, and that the dealer didn't really have any ideas left. Not much help at all from Kia either. Didn't really impress me much, and this door problem has really left me feeling fed up with my dealers & kia's response. I don't have the technical knowledge to fix the car, but seem to be doing all the running around, asking questions and banging my head against a brick wall.

Yes it's an intermitent problem but no one is offering any suggestions on how to fix it. Maybe I should build my house next to the dealership. Seems to work there every time!!!!
#7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 12:30 PM

Drives: 2012 Sedona, 2002 VW Jetta TDI

Red face Sedona sliding door issues.

I am having the same intermited problems with my 2007 Sedona. I have not found any reason for the doors to sometimes work and sometimes not. I am on flat driveway in Austin, Tx so no freezing weather and it still gets stuck either closed or open. I can see sometimes the bottom latch is sticking when in the open position so the door beeps then shuts itself off.
#8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2011, 01:04 PM
Veteran

Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike6412 View Post
I am having the same intermited problems with my 2007 Sedona. I have not found any reason for the doors to sometimes work and sometimes not. I am on flat driveway in Austin, Tx so no freezing weather and it still gets stuck either closed or open. I can see sometimes the bottom latch is sticking when in the open position so the door beeps then shuts itself off.
What exactly is yours doing mike6412? If when you push the open/close button and the power sliding door tries to open/close but the latch hasn't released it, the power sliding door lock actuator motor is probably at fault. I bet if your local Kia dealer scans the power sliding modules, they'll find a B2450. They're is also an open service action for the Sedona vans to replace the rear sliding door latches. The latches are not properly draining and dirt is getting in the mechanism and causing it to prematurely fail. What usually happens is the doors won't stay closed. If you haven't had it done yet, contact your local Kia dealer and have them run the VIN. They'll fix the latches free and if your vehicle is still under 60k miles, they'll fix the power sliding door issue too. Best of luck.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+