LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 12:57 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default Sedona sliding door won't stay latched when open

Our 2006 Sedona has an issue where about 75% of the time, when you open one of the sliding doors, it will not stay latched such that it stays open.

In other words, imagine being parked on a hill, opening the sliding door, and trying to load a baby into a car seat, all the while with the door trying to slam closed on you. Whatever "hooks" the door when open to keep it from closing will not hook.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? I've taken it to the dealer, but of course, they can't make it happen. Grr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Veteran

Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Let me ask you this: Is the sliding door window open when it won't lock? There is a safety feature on the sliding doors bottom roller assembly that prevents the doors from locking open if the window is open. If this occurs when the window is closed, then the rear latch assembly is probably the culprit.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo

Last edited by Pacosworld; 03-23-2010 at 02:05 PM.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 02:31 PM
Veteran

Drives: 2004 Optima 2.4 EX, 2005 Yamaha R1 (street) 2001 GSXR 1000 (track)

I agree with Pacosworld with the "window open" safety feature. If the window is open 3 inches or more, the door will not latch open. However, it the window is up, and the door still will not latch, that sounds like the faulty lower roller latch to me. The latch on the bottom of the door latches it open, where as the latch on the rear of the slider door is what keeps the door latched shut.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 PM

Our 08 GC does this... it is a failure of the door mechanism and has nothing to do with the windows. There is a TSB on part of this problem: tsb # kfe09-92-p180-vq: A02VE. I'm guessing the door actuator doesn't fully extend the door slider until it hits the latch. Being useless bastards, Kia/kia service wont help you unless you know about these issues, so I hope that this TSB helps.
#5 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 04:09 PM

Drives: 2007 Kia Sedona

Default Recall Notice on Sedona Sliding Door

My '07 KIA SEDONA sliding door would not stay latch.

For those with Sedona sliding doors that won't stay latched:
- Kia will fix it for free under a recall notice
- I can describe a quick remedy if you need an emergency fix while you wait for service (my dealer is backordered for 60+ latch kits)

The recall Tech Serve Bulletin is SERVICE ACTION SA058, applies to 2006-2010 Sedonas, power- and manual-aliding doors, issued Nov 2010. View Kia Global Information System (KGIS) (official Kia site) and register (free) in order to view all TSBs.

I went to dealer, asked to buy the Latch Kit 81410 4D000QQK for $34, but they were backordered from 1+ month ago. I was told is was a warranty repair, but I amn 2nd owner, and just at 70,000mi. Helpful parts guy directed me to service tech, who informed me this is a recall, applicable to VINs, without regard to owner/mileage. I am now in the queue.

As for quick fix: open door and look at the back side of the sliding door (see attached pix). Find the latching mechanism: large rotating hook grabs vehicle post, screwdriver is pointing to small catch that acts as a ratchet to grab and hold the hook in place. (If you rotate the hook, it may latch. Operate the door handle to release.) Now - douse these parts with WD-40, rub with cloth to clean crud away. Repeat 4-5 times until parts move freely. You may need to use a small screwdriver to move parts. This will get door in working condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7632.jpg
Views:	2236
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	7616  
#6 (permalink) Old 03-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Veteran

Drives: 10 Optima LX, 07 Rondo EX, 89 Chevy C1500
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattybyzf View Post
I agree with Pacosworld with the "window open" safety feature. If the window is open 3 inches or more, the door will not latch open. However, it the window is up, and the door still will not latch, that sounds like the faulty lower roller latch to me. The latch on the bottom of the door latches it open, where as the latch on the rear of the slider door is what keeps the door latched shut.
+1.

This is a common problem that can usually be remedied with some WD40.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2011, 12:48 AM

Drives: 09 Grand Carnival
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Or in our case, the cable that operates the latch had come out of the door mechanism. This stopped the door latching all of the time though.

Some say I have no mechanical sympathy. They are wrong, I always feel sory for the cars I drive.
#8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 06:25 AM

Drives: 2010 Sedona LX

I had just been in for a warranty item on our 2010 Sedona when the service manager informed us the door latches were being ordered as part of the TSB. He said dirt gets into them causing them to malfunction.

Sounds like WD40 is cleaning out the gunk so the latch works properly until dirt gets back into it.

It's been about a week for me since parts were ordered.

2010 Sedona LX
#9 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Drives: 06 sedona 96 mustang Gt vert.

I wonder if some white lithium grease would work.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 PM

Drives: 2007 Kia Sedona

Default SEDONA SLIDING DOOR won't LATCH

Lithium grease will work - for a time. Kia does not want to encumber customers with periodic maintenance, especially on a safety issue.

Note - this is a RECALL: no limit on mileage, no need to be holding warranty.

Just go to the dealer and schedule SERVICE ACTION SA058 if you have a Kia Sedona 2006-2010, manual or power sliding doors.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+