ESC off and sudden lack of throttle response - TPS & ECU - TSB# KT2009042201 - Kia Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
ESC off and sudden lack of throttle response - TPS & ECU - TSB# KT2009042201

My wife and I own a 2006 Sedona purchased in Dec 2006 at Palm Kia in Ocala, Florida. We took the car with us in Jan 2007 to the Dominican Republic when we were assigned to the US Embassy there. The van has a strange problem that is increasing in frequency. Upon starting, there is no response to the accelerator pedal. The engine just continues idling. Most of the time the ESC Off dashboard light comes on. Stopping the engine and restarting a couple of times clears it, however the ESC Off light will come on again when driving, again there is no throttle response but the engine just keeps on idling. I have to put my emergency flashers on, coast to the side of the road, stop and restart the engine.

Because I come into the Embassy before daily traffic here picks up, I am able to pull over and restart the engine. If this happened during typical daily traffic it would be quite dangerous.

The local Kia dealership here in Santo Domingo is pretty much useless, contrary to the promises of Palm Kia in Florida when we bought the car!

Anyone have any similar problems? What was the cause?

Last edited by ron1004; 10-17-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-05-2008, 07:14 AM Thread Starter

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Problem not solved - nearly killed because of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by sornord View Post

Because I come into the Embassy before daily traffic here picks up, I am able to pull over and restart the engine. If this happened during typical daily traffic it would be quite dangerous.
On Monday 2 Jun 08, I could have been killed by this problem...it occured several times on my street as I approached a traffic light. I had to pull over and clear the problem as described above 30 seconds before I came to the traffic light. The light was green and I proceeded through, only to see a large, while "box truck" (Ryder type with large cubical box behind the drivers compartment) coming straight for me at about 30-40 mph, totally oblivious to his red light (common down here for people to ignore traffic lights and stop signs.)

Had the accelleration problem popped in again, I would have been broadsided in the driver's door. As it was, I hit the pedal and lunged out of the way, missing being hit by only about three feet.

At AllWorldAuto.com, a Sposylvania, Virginia driver with the same model and year as ours describes the same problem under a Vehicle Speed Control heading, in a post dated 2007-06-25. Again there is no respose.

I would appreciate any information as the local Kia dealer cannot duplicate the problem.

Stephen Wilson
US Embassy
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic

(And FYI, contrary to the Ocala dealer, "Sedonas" are different here. Though the body's are identical, the model here is called a "Carnival" and comes with a 2.9 diesel engine only. Our VIN comes up with this info from the local Kia database, which is different than the US database. Consequently we can only get limited support for our vehicle. Big waste of money, thank you Palm Kia! Next time, I buy a Toyota!)
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona, 2000 Toyota Echo, 1970 Porsche 914

Me too

We also have a 2006 Sedona, and have the same problem. Ours began happening one week ago. I will be making some phone calls tomorrow to our local dealer to see if we can find out what's going on. I'll post back when I find out something.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 09:08 PM

Still waiting

I have been swamped at work, and have no answers, yet...
Anyone out there have any advice? Sympathy? Any others with empathy?
Hey, sornord... any updates from your end?
I have a 2000 Echo with no working A/C (went out today), the 2006 Sedona sitting in the driveway immobile, and a 1970 Porsche 914 that runs like a dream. The problem is, the six of us won't fit in the 914. I need some help.
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 07:26 AM
Expert

Drives: KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
Quoted: 24 Post(s)

I think your ESC/ABS module is bad or has a intermittent connection, fault or input.

When the ESC light is flashing while driving it indicates the ESC system is intervening to prevent wheel spin or loss of directional control.

The ESC, the ABS the EBD and the TCS are all into one system My guess is when the car won't respond to the gas pedal because the TCS (traction control system) has intervened because it 'believes' there is wheel spin on both front wheels.
Obviously by your description there isn't any wheel spin but the module 'thinks' there is. By cycling the ignition you are reseting the module.
Turn the ECS off should stop the TCS system intervening until you can get it fixed.

The local dealer may not be familiar with the systems on your car but they should have the KIA scan tool which should be able to pull the codes from the module and at least determine if the module is bad or some sensors feeding it info are bad.
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-11-2008, 10:30 PM

Problem solved...

...I think.
I called the dealer today and was given a number for roadside assistance. They picked up the van, towed it about 19 miles to the nearest dealership, and called me about three hours later to say that the problem was resolved. They said there was a tech service bulletin about this very issue: poor grounding on the ESC module. I picked it up on my way home, and got here without incident. So, I believe the problem is solved, we'll see in the days to come.
Classic boy, I guess this means you were right...
Sornord... if you're still out there, get your ground wire checked.

THANKS!
post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 06-17-2008, 07:43 PM

I thought wrong

Problem was not resolved. Got in the van for church on Sunday, and it came back. Had it towed back to the dealer yesterday, and they called today to say that the TCS module was bad. They are replacing the unit tomorrow.
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 06:38 AM

Same Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingflea2 View Post
Problem was not resolved. Got in the van for church on Sunday, and it came back. Had it towed back to the dealer yesterday, and they called today to say that the TCS module was bad. They are replacing the unit tomorrow.

Did changing the TCS module fix the problem?

I had the same problem two days ago while driving down I-85 in Atlanta with my wife and two daughters. Out of nowhere I got a check engine light, ESC OFF alert, and no throttle response, at the worst time. At idle power, I had to work my way over two lanes of speeding traffic. Cars and semis were slamming on brakes all around us. I cleared the highway, shutdown and restarted and it happened again about two miles down the road. I was able to get it home and over to the dealership to be worked on. Whatever he did didn't work because it happened again yesterday. I'm on my way back this morning for a second attempt at repair.
This is a very serious problem and potentially fatal that Kia needs to address now via a recall of the vehicle. I sent them an e-mail suggesting just that and from what I'm reading on this site I hope that others are doing the same.
I'll post again if the problem gets resolved today or if I get a response from the e-mail I sent them.
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 08:02 AM

Problem was resolved with the new TSC module. Your dealer probably did the same as mine...
Kia tech bulletin on the Sedona states that the problem is due to a loose or faulty ground wire. They clean and replace the ground wire, making sure it makes good contact. If you are lucky, it will work for a week. You weren't lucky, so now they likely will replace the TSC module and your problems will be over. Good luck.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 03-16-2009, 10:14 AM

Drives: 2008 Kia Sedona LX

Did replacing the TCS module correct your problem permanently? I just purchased an 08 Sedona 4 days ago and I am already experiencing the problem with the ESC Off & check engine light coming on. I also lose the ability to use the gas pedal and have to just coast. After reading everyone's entries I am very nervous about my new vehicle. I have only had it 4 days and it has already had to be towed away.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+