LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 12:20 AM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default Whining with Acceleration?

FOrgive me if this has been asked/answered already, but I couldn't find a good answer in the archives.

We loved the Sedona on the test drive, it was SO quiet! Somewhere along the way it has developed an extremely annoying whine when accelerating. The dealer said, " Kias just do that' WHAT????

It's loud enough that we get heads turning where ever we go (no i don't think it's a cool enough car to get heads to turn). People start looking from blocks away as it sounds like a huge golf cart is coming down the road.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

_kk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 11:17 PM

Ours had like a sheet metal rattle type of a whine, kind of a bzzzzzzing sound. They have redesigned cam chain tensioners that they installed. The old one wore out at about 12K miles, it a fix on fail repair, they are not recalling them to do the repairs.

It was kinda sad the way it happened, took car in for an oil change and a recall issue. Go to pick it up and the cam tensioner noise started, wasn't there before they serviced it. Left car for several more days until they got it repaired. It still does it ocasionaly, but never when its at the dealer.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-16-2007, 02:31 PM

Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona

Cool Whine not normal

If truly a whine it is not the tensioners (problem only on early production) and probably not the heat shields on the exhaust, also a known early possibility. Could be the fuel pump, a bad gear,or bearing somewhere.

Do not accept the dealers statement. None of my KIAs whine. It is not in the dealer's best interest to have a dissatisfied customer. Besides it could be an indication of something not set-up right that could lead to a bigger problem later if not taken care of early.

George in Wisconsin
2006 Sedona, 2006 Spectra, 2004.5 Spectra, '82 VW Camper
#4 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 05:19 PM

Guys

I appreciate that in NA "everyone" has gasoline, and here in UK "everyone" has diesel, but it would really help if people want this forum to be really meaningful if you could mention details like Petrol/Gasoline or diesel when discussing engine characteristics : likewise manual or auto.

cheers
#5 (permalink) Old 08-27-2007, 06:31 PM

Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona

Default Kia Site _ Possible Noise Listed

On the KIA Global Information System Site (go to KIA.Com, then to KIA Owners - Service Information, create an account and go to ..... Pit Stop Publication on Sedona noise. I don't know if the following link will work if you are not signed in:

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/TechInfo/...asp?docu_no=78

Associated text pasted below, George in Wisconsin:

Pitstop

No. KT2007081001 Language English Published 8/10/2007 Area N. America Model Sedona [VQ](2006) Gr./Sys./Comp Automatic Transaxle / General Information / Symptom ENN001 - Noise
ENN002 - Vibration
ENN003 - Others
TRN001 - Noise
TRN002 - Vibration
TRN003 - Others
Subject 2006 Sedona (VQ) Engine or Transmission Noise Description This Pitstop addresses a concern in some 2006 (VQ), which may exhibit engine or transmission noise. This noise generally emanates from the back of the engine or the transmission torque converter area, and has been described in various ways. Descriptions include knocking, snapping, creaking, scratching or scraping. In many cases this noise changes frequency and/or intensity when changing between gears, for example Park to Reverse, or Neutral to Drive, and so on.
The CKPS Target Wheel and Plate Assembly (flywheel / flexplate assembly) may be the concern. The CKPS Target Wheel may have loosened, causing one or several of the previously mentioned noises. Improvements have been implemented in the production process of the CKPS Target Wheel and Plate Assembly to eliminate this concern.
To repair this concern, replace the CKPS Target Wheel and Plate Assembly with part number 23200 3C140.
Note that part number 23200 3C130 supersedes to 23200 3C140.
#6 (permalink) Old 11-08-2007, 02:52 PM

Default My Car Is At Dealer for this noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger View Post
FOrgive me if this has been asked/answered already, but I couldn't find a good answer in the archives.

We loved the Sedona on the test drive, it was SO quiet! Somewhere along the way it has developed an extremely annoying whine when accelerating. The dealer said, " Kias just do that' WHAT????

It's loud enough that we get heads turning where ever we go (no i don't think it's a cool enough car to get heads to turn). People start looking from blocks away as it sounds like a huge golf cart is coming down the road.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

_kk
The Dealer Is Replacing A Tensioner/pulley that is making a winning noise in our 2006 KIA Sedona (Gas) as we accelerate. Hopefully this corrects the problem.....
#7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 08:29 AM

We had the same problem with the whining noise as the van is accelerated. Took it in while under warranty back in November of '08. They replaced the "Idler Pulley" and the noise went away. Unfortunately, it's back again, and no more warranty. I may go do it myself this time. Apparently the part is less than $30.00.
Other problems with this lemon of mine...
1. ESC OFF light came on while on interstate - COMPLETE LOSS of accelerator.
Very dangerous. Happened FOUR times with my family in the car before they
finally seemed to have fixed it.

2. Whining noise, idler pulley.

3. Front brakes kept making a horrible sound and vibrating the whole van.
Three attempts through KIA did not fix this problem. Had my own mechanic
put real brakes on. Problem solved.

4. Airbag light kept coming on. (3 times)

5. Along with the whining noise being back, now every once in a while when I
turn the key to start, nothing happens. (No clicking sound, nothing) After
several attempts, the van will start right up like nothing was ever wrong.
Don't know what to think about that one.

Bottom line, I think I have a lemon. I'll never own another KIA. Ever.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 11:22 AM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoeingDriver View Post

5. Along with the whining noise being back, now every once in a while when I
turn the key to start, nothing happens. (No clicking sound, nothing) After
several attempts, the van will start right up like nothing was ever wrong.
Don't know what to think about that one.
Sounds to me like your ignition may be going bad.

And as far as the whining the OP describes, my first thought was the idler pulley. I had two Dodge's do the same thing to me and it was the same thing on both of them.
#9 (permalink) Old 05-02-2010, 06:22 PM

Drives: 2010 Forte SX Corsa Blue
Gallery: 28

All -

Our '06 Sedona had both the "dead van" issue AND the whining. Under warranty, KIA replaced the idler pulley (which apparently is poorly designed and dies a too-early death).

As for the dead issue, it occurred when the van was just over 1 year old. KIA sent out a roll-back towtruck, and they took it to the dealer. Apparently there was/is a problem with the electrical harness connector that goes through the firewall. My dealership had to have an "improved design" one shipped in and installed it. As we were out a vehicle for more than 24 hours, they did provide a rental car (not VAN!). When I got it back, it was FIXED. We never have had a problem with it since then.

Just my own experiences for you to chew on.
#10 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:39 PM

TJ,
Thanks for the info. Ours is out of warranty now, but I'll forward this info to our mechanic.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.