Kia Forum banner

2006 Sedona not starting

280K views 207 replies 49 participants last post by  Rob22315 
#1 ·
I was wondering if others have noticed that periodically it just won't start. No nothing. The night we brought it home it wouldn't start. The next day, after driving around my wife took our boy to the ball field. I went to watch the end and pick him up. Poof... it wouldn't start. About 10 minutes after I tried it it started. It is now just 2 days old and this has happened twice. Anyone else had this happen?

#2 ·
What exactly do you mean by it didn't start ?

Did the engine turn over but not fire ?
Are you running petrol (gasoline) or diesel ?
Do the electric doors work ?
What happens if you try jump starting it (caution - use big jump leads: small ones melt !)

Recently had the battery replaced under warrenty, although there are other possible causes of your problems.

The fault I had appeared to be the battery going intermittantly high internal resistance - so everything worked except it would turn-over.
Another clue was load ticking from the dashboard relays (I think) when you tried to turn the engine over as the voltage dropped.

So all the usual checks of charging or leakage currents were OK : fortunately as in the UK roadside recovery service is part of the warrenty, I think after the 4th or 5th callout that weekend they were getting fed up and happy to act on my suggestion the battery was faulty...

Regards

#3 ·
felegrin said:
I was wondering if others have noticed that periodically it just won't start. No nothing. Anyone else had this happen?
Yup. Our 2006 has stranded my wife twice in the last 3 weeks. We've had it about 10 months and have ~ 10,000 miles on it.

After we towed it in the first time, the guy said there was a service bulletin against a wire harness from the computer to the starter and he "fixed it."

After the second time, I did some looking on my own and I think he was referring to KT2007052208 which can be read at this link:

http://www.kiatechinfo.com/TechInfo/TechnicianTimes/board_view.asp?docu_no=692&page=1

Now it's in the shop waiting for this module to be replaced. Unfortunately the part is on nationwide backorder so there's no telling when it will arrive. I'm told there's another '06 Sedona also sitting at this dealership with the same problem.

#4 ·
2006 Sedona not starting, towed 4x's in less than two weeks

Our Kia has been towed four times now in less than two weeks. We can't find a pattern as the breakdowns have happened randomly. Each time the car won't start, all the panel lights come on, the windows and auto doors open and close without a problem. The main relay makes a tick-tock sound when we turn the key, but nothing else.

3 July, Tues: Drove it less than 10 miles in the day, parked it overnight and the next morning we were going to head home from our trip and it would not start. It was towed to a dealership and they said it was the starter relay. The part was ordered, replaced, and the car worked. Yay!

6 July, Friday: It was our anniversary day and we had a sitter at home so we could catch a movie and go dancing. We drove the car during the day locally, parked for a few hours and then went out. We were headed home at 1am, the car worked find, we stopped for gas, and the car wouldn't start afterwards. We waited at the gas pump for a tow and had the car taken home. The next morning we were going to tow it to the dealership and it started??

12 July, Thursday: I drove the car in to town and stopped twice, then headed home without problems. My husband was going to run an errand about two hours later and the car wouldn't start. We let it sit overnight and Friday morning it still wouldn't start so we had it towed to the dealer. It started after being towed to the dealer...go figure! That's the second time it started after being towed...

14 July, Saturday: Husband drove the car about 60 miles roundtrip without a problem. Four hours later we took the car out locally and stopped it twice without problems. Then we took all four of our kids, including a two year old, out to dinner and when we came out, the car wouldn't start. We had it towed for the fourth time to the dealer where it's sitting now until tomorrow morning when we can talk to a service manager....curious to see if it starts tomorrow morning....

I'm very frustrated because we have a family road trip that will take us from Vancouver Island over to Colorado, USA. This KIA will not suffice for our trip as it is SO unreliable! Has anyone else had similar issues?

The Service Manager suggested that it could be the battery acid mixing around after a tow that makes it start, but that doesn't sound plausible as all the windows and doors and radio, etc. all work without a problem.

I just want to put this information out there in case it is a larger problem than the dealerships are admitting to. We're paying good money for our van for it to be so unreliable, especially when we have four kids to be concerned about!! Very upset, very frustrated and depending on what happens tomorrow, I may start getting very MAD. Please post if you're having issues similar to ours.:mad:

#7 ·
What was the fix???

Our Kia has been towed four times now in less than two weeks. We can't find a pattern as the breakdowns have happened randomly. Each time the car won't start, all the panel lights come on, the windows and auto doors open and close without a problem. The main relay makes a tick-tock sound when we turn the key, but nothing else.

3 July, Tues: Drove it less than 10 miles in the day, parked it overnight and the next morning we were going to head home from our trip and it would not start. It was towed to a dealership and they said it was the starter relay. The part was ordered, replaced, and the car worked. Yay!

6 July, Friday: It was our anniversary day and we had a sitter at home so we could catch a movie and go dancing. We drove the car during the day locally, parked for a few hours and then went out. We were headed home at 1am, the car worked find, we stopped for gas, and the car wouldn't start afterwards. We waited at the gas pump for a tow and had the car taken home. The next morning we were going to tow it to the dealership and it started??

12 July, Thursday: I drove the car in to town and stopped twice, then headed home without problems. My husband was going to run an errand about two hours later and the car wouldn't start. We let it sit overnight and Friday morning it still wouldn't start so we had it towed to the dealer. It started after being towed to the dealer...go figure! That's the second time it started after being towed...

14 July, Saturday: Husband drove the car about 60 miles roundtrip without a problem. Four hours later we took the car out locally and stopped it twice without problems. Then we took all four of our kids, including a two year old, out to dinner and when we came out, the car wouldn't start. We had it towed for the fourth time to the dealer where it's sitting now until tomorrow morning when we can talk to a service manager....curious to see if it starts tomorrow morning....

I'm very frustrated because we have a family road trip that will take us from Vancouver Island over to Colorado, USA. This KIA will not suffice for our trip as it is SO unreliable! Has anyone else had similar issues?

The Service Manager suggested that it could be the battery acid mixing around after a tow that makes it start, but that doesn't sound plausible as all the windows and doors and radio, etc. all work without a problem.

I just want to put this information out there in case it is a larger problem than the dealerships are admitting to. We're paying good money for our van for it to be so unreliable, especially when we have four kids to be concerned about!! Very upset, very frustrated and depending on what happens tomorrow, I may start getting very MAD. Please post if you're having issues similar to ours.:mad:
What was the fix???

#5 ·
Okay, we finally have our troubles fixed. It turns out after they thought it was some computer box, and it wasn't, it was the key. There is an electronic part in the key that was malfuntioning that was telling the car periodically to cut it off like the car was being stolen. Its part of the security system. Anyway the car thought we were stealing our car. We are having no problems now, thank God.

In another issue, there is a recall on the rubber sliding door strips and we are having that replaced.

#6 ·
lminard said:

"Towed 4 times in less than two weeks??" so many people posting so much negative stuff its making me wonder how many of these people are actually geniune. I'm starting to see a suspecious pattern of sabotage which doesn't add up. Some of the stories here are a bit hard to believe. I've been hiring the grand carnival from Hertz car hire and taking it on long trips and on every occasion it has been nothing but a pleasure to drive and travel in. If you drive around any airport you'll notice that all car hire companies have nothing but Grand Carnivals lined up in their yards. I bet they didn't get their advice from here but wherever they got their advice from it seems to be paying off for them.

If the car did really have so many serious defects can someone please explain why car hire places have far more Grand Carnivals than any other people mover and also how it managed to win so many awards and become a smash hit in the US and abroad?

Check it out. I wonder who is telling the truth:
Kia Sedona Named 'Best Minivan' by MotorWeek

#8 ·
All I can say is my van is great to drive but has had many problems. A car that is 2 years old should not be in the dealership as often as it is. Warranty covers it but not my time away from work thus not dependable for me. In the same breath my neighbour also has a sedona(same make and model) and has had few issues.

Mine is a lemon his is not. 50-50 chance.

#9 ·
Wire harness

Bought my 2006 Sedona in Oct 07. Has been in the shop 3 times. Second time was when I went to go to work & it just wouldn't start. Wouldn't turn over, anything but radio, etc. worked. Turns out it was the wire harness that controls the electrical system. It was in the shop a week & has since worked fine. At least, that part has worked fine. Having problems with brakes & a knocking under the drivers side, particularly when I turn or hit a bump.

I won't buy a Kia again....

#10 ·
This has been happening to my 2006 Sedona over the last two years and has not been able to be resolved by the dealer. I have taken the matter into my own hands and have finally found a solution. When the vehicle doesn't start, I simply go to the fuse panel under the steering wheel and remove the relay labeled "alternator." I then plug it back in (a hard reset) and the car starts. I know this works, but I don't know why. Anyone who is more mechanical than me have any ideas?

#11 ·
2006 Sedona keeps failing to start

Thanks so much for this tip! After being stranded for the third time and our local Kia dealership telling us it was the battery again (we just replaced ours 100 miles ago). I went searching and found this - it worked! I wish it were a permanent fix - but at least I can get it going and don't need to call a tow truck again!

#12 · (Edited)
2006 Sedona not starting; Tech Serivce Bulletin; replace In Panel Module

Our 2007, had same symptoms...turn the key and nothing happened...dash indicator lights came on, but no indication that the starter was even trying to engage. No clicks, no dimming, but just as if the key wasn't being turned to the start position at all. Dealer, under warranty, replaced the "junction box" (aka In Panel Module or relay box under dash) part number 91954-4D100FFF, which I think contains the alarm system too because they had to reprogram the fobs. Dealer mechanics said that they had seen this many times before and usually direct people to "hit the box with a stick" and that will get it to start until the box is replaced. It just sounds like a sticky relay to me, but we'll see. That was 5 days ago, and 100% start since then.******* Just found Technical Service Bulletin on this problem: [ELE012] Sedona (VQ) Intermittent No-Crank Condition (ELE 012). Go to Kia Global Information System (KGIS) and you will find this problem explained. Lots of diagnosis explained, but my dealer just replaced the IPM w/o testing.

#13 ·
DIY Fix

Had the same problem. Mine was out of warranty. There is a relay in the back of the main junction / fuse box which is defective. It's part of the alarm / immobiliser and cuts power to the starter motor when the vehicle is immobilised. The relay contacts seem to stick, making starting impossible. It generally cleared after a good whack or kick.

To fix it, I took the junction box out, opened it and found the relay. I soldered a piece of wire under the relay to bridge the contacts - worked fine. 10 minute job and no problem since (8 months).

The downside of the fix means you can turn the starter motor, even when the vehicle is immobilised but not a big deal as the main ECU still disables fuelling.

#15 ·
some queries

Had the same problem. Mine was out of warranty. There is a relay in the back of the main junction / fuse box which is defective. It's part of the alarm / immobiliser and cuts power to the starter motor when the vehicle is immobilised. The relay contacts seem to stick, making starting impossible. It generally cleared after a good whack or kick.

To fix it, I took the junction box out, opened it and found the relay. I soldered a piece of wire under the relay to bridge the contacts - worked fine. 10 minute job and no problem since (8 months).

The downside of the fix means you can turn the starter motor, even when the vehicle is immobilised but not a big deal as the main ECU still disables fuelling.

thanks for post you replay about solving of not starting kia sedona
but what is the junction box should I remove to fix is
1) junction box in engine room or
2) junction box inside car down of steering wheel ?

after removing that junction box what is the problem that I shall see (is it a relay or just of bad wire need to be soldered ) please need some details

can you give me some advice about this problem ? and after you fix it did you faced it again ?

Many thanks

#16 ·
It is the fuse box next to the steering wheel, it will be needed to pulled out and pulled apart, i think there is one relay in the box, and the problem is with the relay not making contact or poor contact, that is the connection that needs to be bridged, the contact points.
Brian

#18 · (Edited)
Did any of you guys get this resolved in the end?

There is a jumper method for bypassing the BCM (Burglar Alarm Relay).

Basically you need to jump PIN21 BEC-IM to PIN10 BEC-IF.

We have the same problem with our Hyundai Entourage... :(

It's going back to the dealers for troubleshooting next week - we got it back the first time telling us it was the battery negative connector at fault.

More info here:
Intermittent Starting?

#20 ·
To get acces to the relay yo need to get into the internals of the fuse panel it can be removed with a couple of screws and the wire connectors unplug from the back, i have attached a photo of the box with the square around the relay
Brian

Electronics Circuit component Technology Microcontroller Hardware programmer

#28 · (Edited)
For the benefit of someone searching at a later date /Who is doing a Google, or whatever search engine.
Please remember to name the component by name, and state location when referring to pics!

Above looks like the STARTER RELAY located in the fuse box in the engine compartment, left (Drivers) side. on LH drive USA Spec'd 3.8l v-6 gas 2007>2009 Entourage /2nd gen Kia Sedona.

Why?
1: Search engines don't "see" /read images.
2: It is RARE !!! that pics hosted on Photbucket, etc will be there say a year down the road.
3: On boards that host pictures locally, some boards strip out pics when threads are archived.

PS: Part number off relay would be great - can't see part number in pic.

#25 ·
A little bit of an update - my GF has explained to me that if she turns the key to the "on" position for the ignition barrel and then takes a pen and pushes the contacts together on the "starter relay" the engine will actually start!

So using this logic, there could also be a method devised where you install a simple switch to turn on or off this circuit from within the car if you didn't want to perform the earlier described jumper method.

#26 · (Edited)
RE: So using this logic, there could also be a method devised where you install a simple switch to turn on or off this circuit from within the car if you didn't want to perform the earlier described jumper method.

Switch is certainly a option to bypass a bad anti-theft relay (Non-replaceable-got to replace entire IPM @$$$$$ Thanks Hyundai bean counters!) in the IPM (Under dash-drivers side) that isn't passing voltage to the STARTER relay (In Engine compartment fuse box)

"The jumper method".... I don't think this should be viewed as a "hack" per-sa or in a negative light as the FACTORY wiring diagram shows the circuit without the "problematic anti-theft relay. By-pass /rewire as per the FACTORY diagram and get rid of it.

My view on this is... Who the heck is going to steal a 2007-2008 Hyundai Entourage / 2nd gen Kia Sedona Mini-Van?

("Professionals" that would have been interested in the Entourages when brand spanking new would be able to by-pass this system anyways.)

I would think as of today's date - More people are going to be concerned with the starter WORKING, than the car being stolen.

#30 ·
My view on this is... [B said:
Who the heck is going to steal a 2007-2008 Hyundai Entourage / 2nd gen Kia Sedona Mini-Van?[/B]

("Professionals" that would have been interested in the Entourages when brand spanking new would be able to by-pass this system anyways.)

I would think as of today's date - More people are going to be concerned with the starter WORKING, than the car being stolen.
;););)

Thanks both of you for your informations
I m waiting for the last news as I m not too good in opening and working on those relays & jumpers...
Big thanks again :)

#31 ·
Do you have the same starter relay under the hood/bonnet/capot?

If so, have you tried pushing the starter relay connection together when the car won't start with the key?

I'll take some video of this at the weekend for you to try if you are not sure what to do.

#34 ·
Sorry for my english and if I don't get everything but my native langage is french ;-)
Je suis Ecossais et je oublié presque tous les Français, je appris à l'école. ne pas de problème avec votre Anglais.

Here is a comparison of the fuse boxes/Voici une comparaison des boîtes à fusibles.

I'll report back when I get the jumper job completed

#35 ·
Well that didn't work - all it did for me was make the starter motor turn as soon as I turned the ignition to the ON position....?

Here are some photos:

Taking the dash side panel off to expose the 3 x screws to remove the crash panel under the steering wheel:

IPS panel/Module under dash:

Crash panel removed:

This is what the end panel looks like inside:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.