LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2006 Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Question 06 steering wheel straightens in top gear only?

Hello all

2006 Kia Sedona "moves" to the right when it hits top gear. When you first start out steering wheel is slightly to the right when going straight. When it hits top gear the car "moves" and steering wheel centers. It could also be speed related, seems to happen around 50, i am not 100% sure it is in top gear. It doesnt really move much in any other gear. New LCA's replaced last week under recall, and new front tires and alignment same day; car did this before then, still does it. Subframe bushings "seem" fine. Looking under car when someone turns steering wheel in idle nothing seems to move and no movement is "felt" in steering. It seems to be mostly related to top gear; gentle on the gas or not doesnt change steering wheel much til top gear, though you can feel wheel move slightly sometimes when it shifts into other gears, but top gear by far worst. Can tranny be an issue? How would tranny affect steering? It does sometimes feel like the steering is low on fluid but it is not. Rack and pinion does have a slight weep. If it is a problem with the rack, why related to top gear? Rack bolts present and ok. I havent fully checked strut bearings yet.

Last edited by zeee; 03-26-2017 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 01:55 PM

Drives: 2007 Kia Sedona EX 3.8, 2008 Kia Sportage 2.0, 2005 Kia Sportage 2.7
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

07 same here

My 07 has the same issue. Steering wheel changes position usually after making a turn or pulling into a parking lot. New LCA's under recall(did it before), New Struts, Inner and outer tie rods and still wheel seems to change position. Checked u joints under dash and seem fine. Rack and Pinion is tight. If the rack were skipping a tooth I would imagine it would make a racket. Right inner tie rod had a clunk and new ones fixed that. The wandering steering has me puzzled. Has to be sub frame bushings. Mine seem solid too but it must move when all the weight of the car shifts around in a tight turn or pulling into a parking lot. Car drive solid at all speeds. Any insight would be appreciated.

2008 Kia Sportage LX, 2.0, 2005 Kia Sportage EX, 2.7,
2007 Kia Sedona EX 3.8
OBD Link SX Scan Tool

Last edited by chris6414; 04-03-2017 at 02:51 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 05:11 PM
Expert

Drives: KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

My instinct tells me you have an alignment problem, more than likely incorrect caster. When the LCA is disturbed it affects the adjustment.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Hello all

The movement seems to be torque related. If I let off the gas above around 30 or so (starting out from a stop) it will move, it doesnt need to be top gear. I think before I noticed it would move because I reached my desired speed, and top gear, at the same time, which also means I would decrease the throttle. Car had alignment the same day as new LCR's. It is moving something for sure; the wheel stays at its new position until you turn hard, or come to a stop, or accelerate hard. I dont notice any clunking when this happens, though there is some clunking/squeaking going on at other times. It seems I need to get down into first gear to reset the steering, just slowing down doesnt do it.
I plan on using the gopro showing each cradle mount and reproducing the problem several times, I will keep you all updated.
But, then the question is, if the mounts show movement, is it because of the mounts themselves, or something else (engine mounts, strut bearing) that is causing movement in the cradle?
I took the cradle mounting bolts and brackets off for inspection; one of the rubber bushings I can work out of the sleeve. It "seems" fine but, if it will come out of the sleeve, is that a certain issue?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-08-2017, 09:50 AM

Which cradle are you referring to? I think we both have the same issue. Caster isn't adjustable on these vans as far as I know. I checked the mounting of the LCAs and they are tight. I will need to check again. Something is moving under there for sure. Just finished both inner and outer tie rods and steering tightened up but still shifts steering center when I make sharper turns. Alignment is good even after shift. One thing to note is the wheel can be straightened back out while driving if I yank the wheel hard in the direction I want it to go. This is why i think it is sub-frame related. The only thing the rack is connected to is the sub-frame and the wheel hubs.

2007 Kia Sedona EX 3.8
OBD Link SX Scan Tool

Last edited by chris6414; 04-08-2017 at 10:05 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

gopro showed the right lower ball joint moving outboard when throttle was reduced, so it changed camber and toe for sure, probly caster as well. you could also see the bottom of the tire move out. I couldnt get anything to move crawling underneath with the crow bar, or jacking up and trying to move wheel. Alignment shop couldnt get anything to move. Camera showed different.
I believe caster "should" be adjustable at strut bushing at top of strut?

Last edited by zeee; 04-17-2017 at 08:17 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeee View Post
gopro showed the right lower ball joint moving outboard when throttle was reduced, so it changed camber and toe for sure, probly caster as well. you could also see the bottom of the tire move out. I couldnt get anything to move crawling underneath with the crow bar, or jacking up and trying to move wheel. Alignment shop couldnt get anything to move. Camera showed different.
I believe caster "should" be adjustable at strut bushing at top of strut?

Caster is adjustable using the nuts on the strut bar (brake reaction rod) attached between the frame at the front and the LCA
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2017, 08:29 AM
Expert

Although based on further info you have provided have you checked your intermediate shaft between the steering rack and the steering column?
as it may well be binding, it is a known fault on cars that travel on salt laden roads.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic boy View Post
Caster is adjustable using the nuts on the strut bar (brake reaction rod) attached between the frame at the front and the LCA
I would need photos. As I recall when I used to have access to KGIS, it stated caster was not adjustable. At least on my 07.

2007 Kia Sedona EX 3.8
OBD Link SX Scan Tool
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 06:00 PM

Drives: 2008 Grand Carnival

Various bushes are available aftermarket to adjust front end alignment for the Grand Carnival (guess Sedona).

SuperPro Trade

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+