Kia Forum banner

2011 Kia Sedona Alternator needed

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jcoast 
#1 ·
Anybody have a good source for Sedona (2011) alternators? The ones at the dealer are crazy expensive. I.ve been all over the web, and there just isn't much available for my lil' darlin. Any help would be appreciated.

#3 ·
Not so popular part with aftermarket yet, since model year is very recent. $400 for a factory rebuilt, or $75 for a used one in the "auction site".
You may also look in your area for a rebuilder, it'll probably be 1 - 2 hrs/labor plus misc parts. Google it.
MV

#4 · (Edited)
Q: Define crazy expensive. Searching at local parts shop I'm seeing $155.99 before tax w lifetime warranty.

Crazy expensive in Hawaii?, like they say you want to play you've got to pay.
(If stuff is cheap in Hawaii, let me know... don't like cold weather.)

In your situation a Rebuilder (Local Alternator shop) might be your best bet.

PS: Don't know if 2011 is different from 2007, 2008 with 3.8l gas engine but the valve cover gasket (neoprene type) on the front bank of 3.8 is known to develop leaks right above alternator, oil leaks into alternator killing it.

#6 · (Edited)
Item location: London, Ontario N5W6C7, Canada

Those sure are some rough, corroded looking alternators. I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them, but what do I know I just worked on cars professionally for many years.
(I ordered a Auto A/C Climate head from lkqonline, which I obtained and ran for maybe 2-weeks prior to factory rep authorizing a replacement but that part was INSIDE the car)

PS the OP is in Hawaii which I'm betting is going to run up shipping costs.
You can go the used route (but I wouldn't touch a alternator from the Salt-Belt regions) but unless the unit is super clean, low miles, and the sellet says you can pitch the the alternator vs having to ship it back if it's bad and has a decent warranty on it I'd opt for:
A: Having the alt on car locally rebuilt. (Rebuilt in that it's not a exchange unit if car it's from it low miles)
B: Ordering one from place such as O'Rielly's, Autozone, AdvanceAuto, or equivalent
C: Low mile replacement from local junk yard, at least that way you don't have to ship it half-way around the world if it's bad.

Locally a remanufacturered unit with lifetime warranty thru O'Rielly' Auto Parts is $155 in US.

#7 ·
E(l-crap-ola, just saw date of OP's post was 07-18-2014. Well maybe the info I gave will help someone else.)

OP, The net and forums work best when people do a follow-up post. I see you posted several months ago an no-one responded till recently but what route did you go on getting a alternator in Hawaii?

I ask because I was wondering how expensive things are in Hawaii.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.