LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Lightbulb 2006 Kia Sedona - Key Stuck in Ignition

I have a 2006 Kia Sedona minivan, 6 cylinder.

Tonight I was unable to get the key out of the ignition. It went in fine and I was able to turn the key to start it and it ran fine, however, when I went to turn the vehicle off it got stuck in the ACC position.

I tried jiggling the gear shift, turning the steering wheel, lightly tapping the key but I would not come out. I finally disconnected the battery and was able to get the key out finally. I did try putting the key back in, starting it, and then getting the key out and it got stuck again.

Does anyone know what this problem could possibly be so I know where to start when it comes to repairs and possible cost?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2013, 08:04 AM

Drives: 2012 Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'll start with an easy check (I hope) - how is the condition of the key profile?

Not sure your usage, but over time, the cuts made on the key to raise and lower the lock tumblers wear down with each insertion/retraction. I have seen a key do the same thing, it starts the car, but you have to do a crazy dance and jiggle to get the key to pull back out - it hangs on the internal mechanism.

If you have a spare key, or maybe just another lightly used key - try it and see if it gets stuck. If it is fine, I would go to the dealer and they can cut you another key based off your VIN number (not just make a bad copy from your worn key).

If the key is fine and others get stuck, I would suspect some sort of foreign object in the lock cylinder. Could be anything, lint, dirt, or even a broken internal piece just large enough to lock you up. I would try running a slightly oiled pipe cleaner in and out of the keyway and see it you can't give it a good cleaning. Maybe follow that up with a blast of compressed air and see if that fixes you?

If not, you could try driving it by a local locksmith and asking their opinion if you didn't want to jump to cylinder replacement at the dealer.

2012 Kia Sedona LX

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+