Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Tucumcari, NM, USA
Drives: 2006 Scion xA, 1972 VW Super Beetle, 1971 VW Type 2 (w/ Hightop)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sedona Front Interior Door Handle Replacement
SPECIFICATIONS: This is specific to the 2002 Kia Sedona but likely applies to other years and models as well.
NOTE: The interior handles for the front doors have a stop tab on the metal back plate. Over time, the metal wears away the plastic on the handle until the handle is able to clear the stop, allowing the handle to be pulled too far where it may break. If your handles are over a couple of years old, examine them. Bend the stop up as specified even if the plastic hasn’t significantly worn. (This also applies to your replacement handle, new or used.)
PARTS NEEDED: Replacement Interior Door Handle Specific to Door (left or right)
TOOLS NEEDED: Small Regular Screwdriver or Pocket Knife; Phillips Screwdriver; Support to Rest Door Panel on (if desired); Pliers (to adjust stop on metal back plate)
TIME: Only 15 to 20 minutes
1. With door open, use small regular screwdriver or pocket knife to remove cap covering screw in center of trim piece behind handle.
2. Remove single screw and trim piece from behind handle.
3. Remove single screw from plastic "pocket" atop armrest on door.
4. Remove both screws from lower part of door panel (at corners).
5. Working bottom up, pull door panel away allowing fasteners to pop loose from metal door. Lift lip from edge near window.
6. Support door panel or separate wiring harnesses and set panel aside.
7. Remove three screws securing old handle to door.
8. Remove lock rod from old handle (swing plastic clip back and pull rod up).
9. Remove latch cable from old handle (swing plastic clip back, pull cable end up, and remove plastic cable guide).
BE SURE TO MODIFY STOP ON METAL BACKPLATE OF HANDLE AS MENTIONED ABOVE.
10. Attach lock rod and cable to new handle (reverse of 8 & 9).
11. Secure new handle to door (reverse of 7).
DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN SCREWS. SNUG AND THEN TIGHTEN ONLY A SLIGHT BIT MORE.
12. Reattach to door plastic sheet acting as dust barrier, if necessary and so desired.
13. Ensure securing clips are attached to door panel (and didn't stick in door).
14. (Reattach wiring harness(es) if separated in Step 6.) Reattach door panel (reverse of 5).
HINT: If the screw from the "plastic" pocket is rusty or dirty, use it when reattaching the door panel and use one of the clean panel screws in the "pocket."
15. Reinstall screws into door panel (reverse of 4). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
16. Reinstall screw into center of plastic "pocket" (reverse of 3). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
17. Reinstall screw into center of trim piece behind handle (reverse of 2) and trim cap (reverse of 1). DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN.
(Formerly) '02 Sedona EX 3.5 V6
Last edited by Inky; 09-20-2006 at 12:14 PM.