Kia Forum banner

Sensing Blade contact after TB replacement

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  thorze 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!! I would like to first say a HUGE Thanks to all of the many contributors to this forum. You guys and gals have saved me thousands in parts and repair bills as I do my own work.

So I finally have an issue that I can not seem to find an answer to with the search function.

My beloved 2005 Kia Sedona EX w/ 118k miles needed i the TBelt done so I bought the GMB kit with waterpump and all the fixings. I then handed it all over to a trusted friend to change it out as I needed it done for the 120k mark and didn't have time to do it myself.

All went fine and it started right up, EXCEPT there was an constant, awful, tinny, metallic sound and after the second start a P0016 code came up. Which led us to check the wiring for the CPS and then we finally figured out was the sensing blade on the back of the sprocket, thanks again to this awesome forum! SO I ordered a new one and had him put it in. No change in the noise what so ever, it was the same thing. You can clearly see on the CPS that the sensing blade is hitting it. The P0116 also came back after the second start.

Before the TB change there was no noise, I am willing to get another sprocket with sensing blade and a new CPS, but I would like some input and ideas from the seasoned vets before I put more parts on it.

Thanks in advance!!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for the reply Auquanaut, so I just opened it back up and I see no contact on the sensor or the sensor blade or the or in the aluminum where the it attaches. Could this sound be caused by the TB being loose? I'm at a loss and need a direction!
Thanks!!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Thanks for the reply Gidner.
So I checked and sure enough the firewall cam was off one tooth. Started and was silent with no codes so he P0016 is fixed.
However the sound remains!!! So I made a video for all to enjoy.

youtube.com/watch?v=Fd1gK-XUfn4

#6 ·
Hi Thorze,

Definitely something's rubbing something.
I'm glad you caught the tooth misalignment.

It sounds like the noise is coming from around the harmonic pulley. Check that the serpentine belts are the correct size, groove profile, width.

Is that chaffing on the side of the alternator and AC belts?

Also look at the path of the CKSP sensor wire. It may be rubbing too.

MV

#7 ·
Hey MV,

As it currently sits, I replaced the harmonic balancer as the rubber isolater in between looked a little dry. No change. So I removed the ac, alt belt and ran engine, no change, I then removed the ps belt and change.
So I will take off the timing covers and take a look at the cksp wire and see, hopefully that is it.
Someone had mentioned a cranshaft end bearing or something could be bad...? I didn't think these Mitsubishi 3.5l were prone to this type of internal wear, any thoughts?

I'll report back with the wire rub,
Thanks for the reply!
Carl

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Seems to have worked itself out

Well after checking the oil pressure and it seems ok, I decided to drive it and see if it would go away or just blow up. Its been a few weeks and the noise is gone. It went away little by little, so I have no idea what it was. Maybe a HLA that was dry..thats all I can think of. Thanks to ll who responded:laugh:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.