I’ve tried to enter the password to engage the limp home capability of my 2004 EX Sorento.
This is what occurred:
- vehicle running and starting properly;
- (5 days ago) attached a utility trailer (4 pin wiring harness – dealer installed), turned key to ON to test trailer lights;
- no trailer lights;
- checked all fuses, they are OK;
- attempted to start Sorento (trailer was not attached) – turns over but does not start;
- read manual Page 3-4 item #1;
- turned key to ON, the IMMO indicator blinks 6 times and remains on;
- I don’t have a password (I’m the original owner and the dealer never gave me one);
- Tired the sample password “2345” just in case it works;
- Engine does not start, obviously password is not correct – I tried a few times, being very careful to follow proper instructions;
- Called KIA dealer (#1) and was told to switch fuses between #22(Meter 10A) and #23(Trailer 15A), they said this is a know problem and this is the solution;
- Switched fuses – tried to start vehicle – would not start;
- Replaced fuses with spares (in engine compartment) – same results;
- Towed to nearest KIA dealer (#2) (took 1½ hours);
- They said the fuses were switched, they switched them back and it started!
- The IMMO blinked 6 times and now does not stay on (i.e. operating properly)!!!
- Took vehicle into dealer (#1) – they looked at it and said it starts and is fine – they did not do anything – they said that the trailer wiring is faulty;
- Dealer did a check on the wiring harness (between the connector beside the spare and the 4 pin trailer connector) and said it was shorted (no current getting through) and I need a new one (part = $50, labor = $50) – I declined at these costs;
- I asked about the password and why it didn’t work – first they said there is no such procedure, then I showed them the manual and then they said that they have tried it before and have had a number of problems with vehicles after trying it, and you need the ID key to accomplish it ( I was pretty confused at this point and after more discussions, dropped it altogether) – thay gave me KIA’s number to call and get more information;
- Drove vehicle home no problems;
- I checked the 4 pin connector with a 12 volt tester and all the pins are working properly!
- Haven’t plugged the trailer in as I couldn’t bring it back (50 miles away) as the vehicle was towed (see above);
- I called KIA and they said that the selling dealer might have put the password in the system, and I’d have to contact them for the code.
So the “2345” password didn’t work for me and I have no other password to try – in case this happens again – hopefully the selling dealership has it…..