LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default coachv

i'm new here so bear with me. i'm buying a 2005 spectra5 with 90k on saturday from a family member. car is currently in the shop getting a top half engine rebuild. i spoke to the mechanic today as i was concerned the timing belt hadn't been changed at 60k and the car wasn't being maintained. the mechanic said the belt had been changed but the timing chain "jumped" and damaged the pistons or whatever. he claimed the car has a timing belt AND a chain. sounds strange to me. can anyone verify?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Veteran

Drives: 06 KIA Spec5, 96 HD Roadking
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

My bulls%#t detector just went off. You have a belt and a belt only sir.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)

Actually your mechanic is correct...There is a timing chain on the oposite side of the engine from the exhaust cam to the intake cam...The timing belt drives the exhaust cam and the exhaust cam drives the intake cam via the timing chain.
I would be curious to know the miles on your engine... I have not read of this chain failing on any posting on this forum...
Dave
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Super Moderator

Here's a picture of the head... with the chain between the cams
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-Y...G9rcWI1RGtGYWc
Dave
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

90k miles. nice pic. sound plausable?
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

btw, his mechanic, not mine.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Like I said...I have not seen even one post on the chain failing on these engines.
They have gone 300k miles with out one breaking or "jumping" time.

If the car ran when you took it to the mechanic BEFORE the belt replacement was attempted...he damaged the engine.

The chain would have a much harder time jumping a tooth (or more) and I'd believe he (the mechanic) had the new belt wrong when he tried to start the car AFTER he replaced the belt. It would be hard to PROVE he did the damage though. If you don't get it right the first time there is no second chance...you bend/break valves and possibly damage the pistons and cylinder walls.

Before putting a lot of money into this engine search "car-part.com" and ebay for a low mileage engine (under 40k).. The good thing about this car is that the engines are available and at excellent prices ($500~550) and you end up with a low mileage engine.

I'd change the engine and most definitely the mechanic. The car is worth repairing.
Be sure the new engine has a NEW belt also before installing it in the car.
Dave
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

i'm buying this from my brother's father in law. this is his mechanic, a munro muffler shop. i was surprised they would do a top half rebuild. he said the timing belt had been changed previously and said it was a napa belt, which makes me think he did not change it. the father in law did say he has been taking his cars to this guy for ten years and trusts him but father inlaw is 78 years old.

car driven by fil's grand daughter past 6 years until she got a new car. to prepare for sale, 6 weeks ago fil had the following work done. 4 new tires, brakes all around and new front rotors, wheel alignment, new battery, tranny flush. then car sat for 6 weeks while fil looked for buyer. i agreed to purchase sight unseen for $3k. great deal i figured. the day before i was to make the 2.5 hour drive to pick up car, mechanic tried to move car from rear lot to the front for me to pick up. it would not start. later, fil told me about chain and rebuild. allegedly, mechanic is giving him a break from $1900 to $1200. of that, i have to pick up $500, bringing my buying price up to $3500. car is pretty clean from the few pics i got. also black, my fave.

now i'm getting a little nervous and called mechanic directly. he explained about chain and all recent work done so i decided to proceed with purchase.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 12:27 PM

Drives: 2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
Gallery: 10
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to tt2jzgtes Send a message via Skype™ to tt2jzgtes

just put another motor in it. it will be cheaper and atleast you would have lower miles. like Dave said engines for the spectras are reletively cheap and easy to install. i replaced my trans i paid 530 for it at the local junkyard with 33xxx miles on it and it runs great. and when i called about the engine they told me about 500 plus tax also with 33xxx miles.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Veteran

Drives: 06 KIA Spec5, 96 HD Roadking
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Garage

WOW. Ya learn something new everyday!. I have never seen anything indicatig there is a chain. Thanks for the info Dave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.