#1 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 03:01 AM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default Handbrake adjustment

Hi,

I have a 06 spectra, although I think it's just the same as the '03 ones, they just seemed to make them later here in Malaysia.

I wanted to ask how can I adjust the handbrake - I've done this a number of times on drum brakes, but never with rear discs. I also want to know the best way to disconnect the cable so that I can remove the pads and replace them - they're looking thin.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:33 PM

Drives: 2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor
Gallery: 10
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to tt2jzgtes Send a message via Skype™ to tt2jzgtes

to adjust the handbrake/emegency brake you have to unbolt your center console you dont have to completely remove the center console but just remove all the screws that holds it in place and lift it from the back i believe you are going to need a 10mm open wrech to tighten it. lefty loosey righty tighty FYI. and as far as replacing rear brake padsmake sure the hand brake is down and the car is on park. jack the car up remove the rear tire 12mm u need 12mm to remove the calipertake old pads out replace new pads you are goin to need this cube thing from a part auto store or do what i did i used channel locks and a screw driver if you dont have the cube thing for the rear brake. but it will be alot easier if you buy it its only like 7Dollars.put the retractor on the rear disc cylinder and keep turning ituntil it retracks but make sure to push while your turning. and repeat the process backwards to put it back on.
#3 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM

Drives: 2005 Blue Kia Spectra5 and a 96 Turbo Honda civic and a 99 subaru outback with a 2.5 rs turbo motor

and you dont have to disconnect the cable to replace your brake pads on the rear
#4 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 12:35 PM

but if you want to its very easy. pull the lever down where the cable connect with grip flyers and pull the turn the cable out.
#5 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 06:01 PM

Boss, thanks for replies. I can see how to remove the cable, it just felt a bit tight, but I guess I could get some pliers on it!

What do you mean that you don't have to remove the cable to replace the pads? On front discs I would typically undo the lower pad mounting bolt and hinge the thing up, but I can't with the handbrake cable there. Would you undo the top bolt and hinge down?

With the cube thing - is that just like a g clamp type thing to push the piston back?

Thanks
#6 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 08:59 AM

on the rear brakes its actually a cylinder that screws in not like the front where you just have to push the piston back. and the "cube thing" is nothing like the g clamp you put your wrech on it and turn it to push the caliper back.
#7 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 AM

if you want i can make a video on saturday and post it on youtube saturday evening and i will the link on here. if you can wait till then.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2012, 07:20 PM

Default cube

Hi, that's a very kind offer, but you don't need to go to all that hassle! I just took the caliper off to have a look at the piston and I see what you mean, it's solid. So I guess by cube you mean something like this:

Draper 52334 3/8-Inch Square Drive Rear Caliper Wind Back Cube: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools Draper 52334 3/8-Inch Square Drive Rear Caliper Wind Back Cube: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

and I guess you can then attach a wrench to it to turn the piston. I tried with some pliers, but would not budge!

Do you recall is it clockwise to retract the caliper?

Thanks

Pete
#9 (permalink) Old 11-21-2012, 07:36 AM

if you use a pliers you have to use a screw driver too cause you just cant turn the piston you also have to push the piston back while your turning it.and always turn right to like your tighten a screw.
#10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 PM

Hi,

I think my problems are bigger than pads. The pedal has started going all the way to the floor, and s a little spongy with the engine off. I took it into the garage who said there was no leak. They then keep telling me new (official) pads will fix the problem. Now they tell me that Kia brakes are just like that, and maybe I should upgrade the master cylinder. But that doesn't make sense. The car has ABS, but that rarely kicks in when I try it because the pedal hits the floor and the car rolls to a stop slowly. If there's no leak in the system, then the master cylinder must be playing up. How do the brakes feel on your KIA? I worried the malaysians may have downgraded the master cylinder - is there a way I can tell?

Thanks

Pete

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)