#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 06:40 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 2006 kia spectra speedometer is not working

hi my name is Yvette

I have a KIA Spectra 2006 ,4-door , Sedan , EX and the speedometer stops working after driving for 30 min.I changed the speed sensor, sensor for transmission but the speedometer still stops working.When is cold works , after warms up it stop working.Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 02:48 PM

I have the same problem, but worse. 2006 Kia Spectra EX. Speedometer and Odometer both stop working after about 5 minutes. I paid $1400 at a Kia dealer service to fix it. It's still not fixed. They want another $2500 to replace the transmission control module and wiring harness to see if that fixes it. Right? I contacted Kia corporate and they had nothing to say other than that the dealer has a difficult problem to solve.

Unless anyone else has any ideas on this, I'm getting rid of it as fast as I can and never going to buy another Kia.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

mbratch..
ALL cars have problems not just KIA... We have two Spectras (mine a 2006 SX) and we love them... The ECM/TCM module is replaceable with one from the same year Spectra.
Pick a bone yard and get one...
Here's is one on ebay for $80.00 including shipping!
2004 2006 Kia Spectra TCM Transmission Computer 95440 23030 | eBay
Don't blame KIA for idiots at dealerships...
The wiring harness also will not be the problem as your problem is related to time and is a thermal problem. Most likely a speed sensor (two on the automatic) or the TCM.
Both you can change with just basic metric tools.
These cars are very reliable and if maintained properly can do 300k miles or more.
You have found the right place to get answers.
Welcome to kia-forums!
Dave
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Drives: 06 Kia Spectra SX & 13 Hyundai Elanttra GLS

This may be a bit simplistic, but I had the same problem and after all types of trouble shooting, it was a loose positive battery post cable...I would hope that it will be as simple for you to fix as it was for me...that's my 2 cents...things coming loose on my KIA seems to be a bit of an issue (but this was after having the car for 5 years so not a HUGE issue) So...the cable on my battery loosened and affected the speedo and now I am having a recurring problem with the oil filter lossening enough to see drips in the driveway...my shop says its weird but not unheard of...we'll see...
#5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

gig4...
Do us a favor and update your CP with "06 Spectra SX" and your general location...
This is a "Global" forum and posts come from all corners of the world... The body styles and engines/trannys, and fuel vary by location and years.
I had to search your past posts to get this info... Also did you solve your blower motor not running as you did not post the results.
Our 06 and 07 Spectras had the batteries replaced within the past year so the "Rocket" brand batteries life is about 5~6 years...then they get weak in the cold.
Dave
#6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2013, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator

There have been a couple of Specs with Speedo problems that the problem/cure was never posted....

The ABS in the SX models does effect the speedo, transmission changing gears, and the cruse control operation... I had damaged the right rear ABS sensor when rebuilding my SX and all kinds of weird things were going on...Replacing the sensor cured them.

I have also read where the cruse module under the hood could kill the pulses feeding the above items and disconnecting the cruse module "corrected" the problem... Replacing that module (cruse) solved the intermittent loss of speedometer/oddometer function.
Dave
#7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Dave- i haven't updated my profile because of the length of time it takes to work on the profile on this site...I will update it after this post...as far as my blower motor is concerned, no...I wasn't able to get it working with any consistency, but my work around is 2 things: pulling the cabin filter and spinning the fan by hand as a jump start, and more recently, a good bump to the bottom of the blower gives it a start too...i don't know if this means it is a blower motor going out or wiring because it really didn't start until after I changed the stereo...I have gone through my wiring numerous times but with no change in the outcome.

I was not aware that the differences in the mechanics of the KIA's and other types of the same car were so vast so please accept my apologies on that matter. My KIA was purchased in the US and is a KIA Spectra SX 06 (purchased in 05). I will be honest and say that when I posted the original post about the blower, it was 900 degrees outside and I was frustrated and didn't see the 'read this before posting forum'.

In a nutshell, i hope to be a positive addition to this site and am an avid do it yourself'er...and now I have some technology that allows for me to be able to add pictures and other helpful things...not trying to take away from the reason this thread was created, KIAJDM, i hope you can fix your problem in a cost efficient way.

GIG4 <><
#8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2013, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

Wow...900 Degrees...I'm impressed :-)
I'd be frustrated also.

Your blower motor is probably worn out and replacements are available on ebay reasonably cheap.
New 2004 2009 Kia Spectra Heater AC Fan Blower Motor | eBay
Dave
#9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2013, 01:52 PM

Thanks for the info...what are your thoughts on a blower from a salvage yard on the same model KIA? ($20.00) seems like maybe $20.00 would be worth the gamble, considering they have a 30 day return policy...at least if there was an immediate issue, I could return it...?...I know the longevity may not be as long, but on the other hand, it really could also...? Thanks for any advice.

GIG4

GIG4 <><
2006 KIA Spectra SX/2013 Hyundai Elantra GLS
#10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2013, 07:05 AM

Good day to all,
I live in Dubai - UAE, have Kia Spectra 2006, have speed o meter problem, stops work after 15 to 20 minutes, I changed Speed sensor and gear connected to it but use
less it works and stops.
Any suggestion ???

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)