Kia Forum banner

HELP: 2005 Kia Spectra - Front Wheel bearing replacement. Where do i find info?

32K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  tt2jzgtes 
#1 ·
I need to change a front wheel bearing on my 2005 Kia Spectra. Does anyone know where I can find step by step info on this? I am finding all kinds of different opinions. Possibility of dealer special tools, etc...

I just want to know where I can find actual facts...lol

thanks.

#2 ·
Look at kiatechinfo.com. You need to be running Windoz (XP/Vista/7) and have Internet Explorer (6 or higher), and download Adobe SVG (scaled vector graphics) plug in to "see" graphics (pictures). The membership is free and there is all the info you will need. The site has a learning curve and sometimes seams hard to search but the info is there.
Dave

#3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply. However, this is another problem I seem to be having. Maybe because it's the U.S.??

Many times, I don't get a listing for a 2005 Spectra. This just happened under "2005" in the kiatech site.

Look...

2005 (6)
2005 Sportage (KM) Owners Manual
2005 Sorento (BL) Owners Manual
2005 Sedona (GQ) Owners Manual
2005 Rio (BC) Owners Manual
2005 Optima (MS) Owners Manual
2005 Amanti (GH) Owners Manual

I also have problems buying parts for this same vehicle. I went for rear drum brake wheel cylinders and no auto parts store had a listing for it?

#5 ·
Glad to be of assistance .... Now to find the part you need go to rockauto.com..
I have been purchasing from them for my KIAs and family Hyundais with excellent results.
Dave

#6 ·
we did it just this past weekend without the tools kia uses at the dealership which i listed part numbers below.. A press and a bit of toying around with it and you can get it out. It's hard to push the hub out of the steering knuckle (you have to build a crazy contraption and make sure you have a solid base to use the press) but once you get that your pretty much home free. Also watch when your disconnecting the lower ball joint, as it seemed to want to spin on us (its tapered and usually has a pin through it or a square end you can grab to stop it from turning but i didn't see it on this one) so we used a bit of heat and tapped it with a hammer and out it came (be careful with heat around the rubber on the balljoint you need to keep that tight and sealed) Anyways good luck i listed the tools needed below if you want to do it the pain free way :)

Oh and one more thing, i am happy to say the car is silent and no more humming! :)
EDIT: Curious was yours the driver side or passenger side Wheel bearing? Mine was DS

09517-21500
Front hub remover and installer
Removal & installation of the front hub. (use with
09517-21600)

09517-21600
Knuckle arm bridge
Removal of the front hub. (use with 09517-21500)

#7 ·
DeadmanX..
Your posts in Oct 2011 said you had 71k miles on the car... How many miles were on it recently when you changed the front wheel bearings? Seams quite low for bearings to fail.
Did you take any pictures that you can post?
Dave

#8 ·
Car has 78k on it. It was odd because it wasn't really that bad to where the wheel would move when you grabbed it and wiggled it, but it was just bad enough to make some noise. Like i said before problem solved and car actually feels a ton better! Sorry i didn't take any pics but if anyone has any questions about the change feel free to ask away and i can guide ya along :)

#14 ·
Any help on Spectras is useful. I keep a library of images and KGIS diagrams that I "aquire" on my home server so I can help others...
Looks like you gave up on the second Spectra you were looking at...
How's the Spec5 doing?
Dave

#15 ·
hey Dave, yeah i gave up on getting the other spectra and i was gonna do my hub bearing this weekend but ended up going to the ER and getting 9 stitches on my middle finger. my spec5 needs a few new parts but money is tight so im only fixing parts that really need fixing like my wheel bearing. soon i will need all 4 struts front sway bar links and some other little bushing. I am happy with how the poly motor and trans mount came out so i didint have to replace them. saved me atleast $300. im about at 171k im guessing adding another 10k on top because my speedo did not work right for almost 1.5 years. ohh yeah and also i keep on getting this p0030 code that comes in and out. ive replaced both my o2 sensor about 3 years ago and now i think it failed again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.