LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-15-2011, 07:48 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 2004 Kia Spectra LX speedometer and odometer not working

I own a 2004 Kia Spectra LX with 2.0L engine and automatic transmission. The speedometer and odometer do not work at all and no check engine light. The odometer reading is displayed but the reading isn't changing. Everything else on the vehicle works fine, it runs and drives excellent, and shifts fine. I swapped the instrument cluster out with a used one I purchased off of ebay and the speedometer and odometer worked for about 2 minutes and then completely stopped working. I also tried the instrument cluster out of my 2006 Kia Spectra EX and had the same outcome. I replaced what I believe is the output speed sensor on the transmission located kinda under the master cylinder (plugs into a 3 wire connector, Yellow, White, and blue/orange). I also replaced the gear driven VSS (plugs into a 3 wire connector, yellow/orange, green/orange, and black). After all this, the speedometer and odometer still aren't working. I spliced into the black wire right at the VSS which I believe is the ground wire and ran a wire from that directly to the battery post and still no luck. I spliced into the green/orange wire at the VSS which I believe is the signal wire and ran a wire from there through the firewall. With another person driving the car, I held a test light to that wire to determine that the VSS was sending signal and it was. After determining the VSS was sending signal I connected that wire into the green/orange signal wire at the instrument cluster. Pin #5 on connector B. The speedometer and odometer worked once for about 20 seconds and hasn't worked since that and still haven't had a check engine light. At this moment I have removed the entire dash from the car, I tracked down and inspected every wire that goes to the cluster and have found no broken wires. I guess I'm going to have to inspect connectors and connections, maybe something is wrong with pin#5 inside connector B at the cluster, idk. Does anybody have any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2011, 12:00 AM

Default Speed odometer stopped working

I have same problem on my Kia Spectra LX.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 02:23 AM

(Thread Starter)

Well I believe I've solved the issue!!! I changed out the fuse box under the hood and now it's working no issues but only drove it about 40 miles so far. I happen to have a wrecked 2004 Kia Spectra LX 5 speed just sitting around that I bought strictly for parts awhile back and I noticed the fuse boxes are the same so I decided to give it a try and problem fixed so far.

Last edited by Luckdogg; 08-19-2011 at 03:18 AM.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2011, 12:46 PM

I have 2005 spectra 5, i had the same problem with my cluster and some lights, after much tinkering it was a fuse issue as well. I LOVE MY SPECTRA 5 but have had problems on and off with the electroninics. my speedomiter is now periodically sticking if i drive at 120km+ for a few mins. this i havent been able to figure out as everything else works fine. but glad you got it figured out!
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2011, 03:27 PM

After the car odometer stopped work, it started to work some but it stops at times. I think it might be a cracked circuit board. When the car is cool it works but once it get hot it stop working. Where I live it gets very hot during the summer.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)