LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 06:39 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default Gas filling problem?

I have a 2007 Kia Spectra 5. Recently the engine light came on. We took it to Autozone and it was the gas cap. I called Kia. They suggested I tighten it and drive it for at least 3 cycles. It went off. Now it's back on. When I went to put gas in the tank, it started to spill over after only $3. Anyone know what it might be? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran

Drives: 10 Optima LX, 95 Astro AWD, 03 Monte Carlo
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

You have a restriction in your tank vent, which won't let the air escape as you fill, and causes the gas to come back out the fill neck. Could be something as simple as spider webs in the vent line, or worst case, bad rollover valve which would need the fuel tank replaced.
If the gas cap was bad, it would cause a DTC for a leak. You probably had a P0449, which is a vent valve circuit or restriction. Autozone saw "Evap" in the code description and instantly sold you a gas cap. I'd take it back to them and get a refund.
#3 (permalink) Old 06-28-2011, 09:22 PM

(Thread Starter)

I didn't buy a gas cap. I was going to try that, but you think not?? It's under warranty, just KIA said if it's a tightening problem and they drive it and light goes off, they will charge for that, a simple fix, which I tried and worked but only for a short time. How can I tell if there is something in the vent line? or a rollover valve? I guess I will have to make the hour drive to the KIA dealership?
#4 (permalink) Old 10-19-2011, 11:58 PM

Drives: 2003 KIA Sedona 6v

Have a Kia Sedona 03 and mine wouldn't let me put in a gallon at a slow rate. I then checked the canister that I had just replaced the first part of this year and as was remove the vent line from the canister it hissed some what then it was over. I tapped the bottom of the canister to reassure that the charcoal was not block the vent line. Blew through the line with no problem and went to put more fuel in but got a total of 2.87 gallons in and it took no more. I finally took it to the shop and found that it was the rollover valve. That is situation hope it helps.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)