LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default Fog Light and Cruise Control ?

I just bought my 2005 Spectra5 this Wednesday.

I went to turn the fog lights on and they are not working. I also, noticed that my cruise control is different than what's in the manual.

My cruise control lever is on the left side of the column, under the blinker control arm. Is this an aftermarket cruise control?

If the cruise control is aftermarket, then I think they took the power from the fog lights. Or, maybe the power is disconnected somewhere else.

Would anyone know how to make a direct on/off switch for the fog lights? What parts would I need?

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 07:02 AM

OK

To connect the fog lights I thought I could either get a trailer wiring kit like
THIS THIS

Or I could get a cheap fog light kit and use the wiring from it.

What fuse size should I look for? Or are there other suggestions?
#3 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Is there a fog light switch on the headlight "stick" ? If so they used the proper switch to control the fog lamps.
From what I read on the forums the wiring for for the fog lamps IS in the wiring harness all ready....so adding them is fairly easy. You should have a fog lamp fuse (15amp), and a fog lamp relay located in the fuse panel inside the car's cab, and the headlight (with fog) switch mounted on the steering column. If you don't then you also have an after-market fog light installation.
I'd check the fuses and also BOTH lamps (bulbs) as they may be just bad!
If you have an after-market install you can install an OEM version by getting the original relay, headlight switch, and fuse from a "donor" car at the bone yard. All are easy to install....Then plug your fog light ass'ys into the existing wiring harness behind where the lamps mount. The OEM lamp ass'ys can be gotten off of ebay for about $40 each (x2).
If you need any more info just contact me or log onto "kiatechinfo.com" (it's FREE).
Dave
#4 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM

Thanks,

I have been working, so no time to look yet. I'll get back after I take a look.

Black, 2005, Kia Spectra5, Auto:(, No mods yet
#5 (permalink) Old 08-16-2010, 04:21 PM

Gallery: 1

I have a 06 Spec5 and my cruise control switch is on the same side as the wiper control. Since you said yours is on the left side, under the headlight controls, I would say you have an after market unit. You can go to Kia Global Information System (KGIS) and sign up for a free account. Then just find your car and you will be able to access everything there is to know about your car. You can print off pictures, diagrams, and electrical schematics.

#6 (permalink) Old 08-17-2010, 05:02 PM

mine is the same as jonny's under the turn signal lever; also my fog lights switch is on the end knob of the turn signal lever. as far as aftermarket fogs, wiring them isn't that difficult, but finding a decent (aftermarket) switch to match your interior is a bit difficult
#7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2010, 11:41 PM

Okay,
As stated earlier, i just bought this car. When I looked at the car for the first time, the bumper lip was loose. The owner took it to a body shop to be fixed. They ended up disconnecting the fog lights while working on the bumper.

Now I want to do two things:

1. look for parts to install factory cruise control. It bugs me knowing that my cruise is after-market. Also, I think the position of the factory cruise would be better.

2. It was mentioned above that streekiaz.com has a how-to on making the foglights turn on separate from the headlights. Streekiaz.com seems to be down for upgrades right now. I used to use the fog lights on my last car as daylight driving lights. I also like this mod as you can have the light from the fog lights while your brights are on. I do lot of rural driving in the dark where a lot of deer are present.

#8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

Don...
The factory cruse control is mounted on the back of the steering wheel, where you normally grip the wheel on the right hand side at aprox the 3:00 o'clock position. It turns WITH the steering wheel. I don't know if you are capable of doing a retrofit to an OEM design. I would think the steering wheel, steering column wiring harness, clock spring, and engine compartment wiring harness would have to be changed. My wife's 07 Spectra doesn't have cruse from the factory and wiring IS MISSING at those locations.
I also believe the "cruse" is controlled by either the ECM or BCM modules and they are custom programed for what accessories are on the car when built.
I guess you could get parts from a "donor" car at the bone yard but I'd be VERY careful to get the correctly programed ECM and/or BCM modules along with the other parts.
My 06 Spectra SX (4door) came with cruse and I thought the 06 Spectra5 would have also had the same "options"....Interesting!! Is you car a manual tranny? Maybe that's the difference.
An under the dash switch controlling an external relay could be wired to control the Fog lights. I would suggest the switch be fed with voltage from the accessory leg of the ignition switch (shut off "fogs" with key OFF). This would feed the coil of the relay and the switched section of the relay (that handles the extra current needed to feed to the lamps) be fused with the same rated fuse that was used for the OEM wiring.
Dave
#9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 02:08 PM

Jonny hear is jcj8008 on streetkiaz, he's the one who did the independent foglight DIY
#10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dread View Post
Jonny hear is jcj8008 on streetkiaz, he's the one who did the independent foglight DIY
Thanks, I'll look for his DIY.

Has anyone heard when streetkiz will be back up?

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)