LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-25-2008, 12:26 AM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 37,500 mile fuel filter replacement

Noticed my owner's manual says to replace the fuel filter every 37,500 miles on the Spectra. I read on a wiki that it is a lifetime filter. I am used to replacing them on older vehicles. Anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 06:26 AM

Drives: 09 Ram 53 Ford F350 94 Wrangler 2003 Sorrento 2011 Optima

Best bet is to ask the dealer. The filter in our Sorrento is a lifetime filter - basically just a mesh bag around the pump inside the tank.

Chuck P
Driving cars is fine, but I'd rather build them :)
http://www.oldjeep.com
#3 (permalink) Old 09-26-2008, 10:41 AM
Veteran

Drives: 2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjeep View Post
Best bet is to ask the dealer. The filter in our Sorrento is a lifetime filter - basically just a mesh bag around the pump inside the tank.

Not so. I have 2003 Spectra LS 1.8L replaced at 54,000 late. And 2004 Sorento LX 3.5L replaced at 45,000. It is a 45min-hour job in book I recall. And is a while you wait deal like I did both times. Both were under back seat of vech under a panel. Both were on side of pump/sender unit. One black and one white on the output side of pump unit. And yes there is a nylon prescreen on pickup or input side of bottom of pump/sender unit. I got a new fuel pump/sender/filter unit in the Sorento due to the dealer not getting the reused o-rings (two) perfect and it was a freak thing for my dealer. I have not had one peep of bad work till then. And I got towed back in 20 miles. Pump lost prime and o-ring (one) cracked from not putting it back just right. O-rings (two) are not serviceable alone or orderable. Hense new warrenty pump/sender/filter unit. That is why your dealer is telling you all that filters are not done nor needed to be. They can not trust the mechs in shop to not do a comeback job each and everytime. And they would rather tell you the BS then eat pumps for no profits often. But they will be happy to replace a pump for profit when yours goes bad from a clogged filter burning it out thou. I am not going to get into anything they did or could have done, other then what they did for me. I am sure yes that out there SOMEWHERE there are gas compatible o-rings in a o-ring assortment that will work for a gas tank unit. But in this case it was easier to put me in a loaner and just get the pump assy in two-three days and put it in under warrenty. Rather then play more with a defective unit that might be damaged now. And come back yet again. If a parts store universal o-ring is used then you got a 50-50 shot at it working long term. If it (pump) goes bad later then it is up to you to decide why. Was it the pumps time and I pay? Or was it the bad filter install that caused the pump to fail and they pay.

Last edited by 04SorentoLX; 09-26-2008 at 04:50 PM.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2008, 08:40 AM

Drives: 09 Ram 53 Ford F350 94 Wrangler 2003 Sorrento 2011 Optima

Just going by what the dealer told me. It's a 2003 Sorento LX, dealer says that it's not a normal service item - also not listed as a service item in my manual. Truck has 55K miles on it now with no issues.

Chuck P
Driving cars is fine, but I'd rather build them :)
http://www.oldjeep.com
#5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 06:09 PM

Drives: 2005 Kia Spectra

Hey Gang!

What's the most amount of miles that someone on here has run a 2004.5+ Spectra without changing the in-tank fuel filter?

I'm at 53k right now, and the car is running fine.

I'm taking to heart the discussion about where either the pump goes bad due to mishandled filter change AND/OR the pump goes bad because it slowly clogs, causing the pump to overheat/overwork.

I'm leaning towards getting the filter changed soon at the dealership, so that I've got at least 4k miles or so left before the bumper-to-bumper warranty is off.

My dealer also told me that the filter doesn't need changed. The guy's story above about how the dealer's might shy away from recommending this repair because it can ultimately cost them $$$ sounds feasible to me.

So again.... what's the most amount of miles someone has gotten away without a filter change without any noticeable issues.

Thanks!

-SM

See my Spectra EX at: http://spectraman.freeservers.com
#6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 PM

(Thread Starter)

Why would it cost the dealer money? We have to pay for routine maintenance. Called my local kia dealer today and they said they recommend it at 60,000 miles.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 AM
Veteran

Drives: 2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzeran View Post
Why would it cost the dealer money? We have to pay for routine maintenance. Called my local kia dealer today and they said they recommend it at 60,000 miles.
Why is a good question. Till you think a bit. If we do routine maintaince at a dealer or even independent. Like say belts at 40,000. And the person doing the work over thightens the belts greatly. The water pump bearing fails say and you need a pump at 40,000. KIA can say belt job made pump fail. DEALER and or indy that did a DEFECTIVE repair is on hook for fix as I am sure no one here would pay for a water pump at 40,000 and know it was due to belts tension with out a gun to thier head? Any Manufacturer not just KIA can and will bounce a claim if it is due to dealer screw up. And then dealer eats the job. Unless he is real good at making you love to pay and buy something that he broke for you. And yes dealers all the time try to get aways with filing a FLASE CLIAM. But in the end if caught odds are great that it will cost them way more in fines for FRUAD then it would ever for eating the claim. That folks is HOW it would cost them money. And all manufacturers do review claims data for patterns. Not to mentuion that the parts dept does not really like to give out FREE parts ALLOT to cover the mech butt. All the more when they are eating parts for a bad job that they did not do. Water pump is a cheap job $175. Now think T/B mess up? $10,000as some have been quoted.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:43 AM

Drives: 2005 Kia Spectra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectraMan View Post
Hey Gang!

What's the most amount of miles that someone on here has run a 2004.5+ Spectra without changing the in-tank fuel filter?

I'm at 53k right now, and the car is running fine.

I'm taking to heart the discussion about where either the pump goes bad due to mishandled filter change AND/OR the pump goes bad because it slowly clogs, causing the pump to overheat/overwork.

I'm leaning towards getting the filter changed soon at the dealership, so that I've got at least 4k miles or so left before the bumper-to-bumper warranty is off.

My dealer also told me that the filter doesn't need changed. The guy's story above about how the dealer's might shy away from recommending this repair because it can ultimately cost them $$$ sounds feasible to me.

So again.... what's the most amount of miles someone has gotten away without a filter change without any noticeable issues.

Thanks!

-SM

Does anyone have any feedback regarding my question above?

Specifically: What's the highest amount of miles driven on a 2004.5+ Spectra without changing the fuel filter? I've made it to nearly 53k miles. So I'm interested in people who have exceeded that.

Thanks!!!

-SM

See my Spectra EX at: http://spectraman.freeservers.com
#9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Drives: 2008 Optima 2005 Impala 1991 K1500

i am at 50000 in my 2008 optima and have not changed the filter everything seems to be running fine
#10 (permalink) Old 09-25-2009, 03:04 PM
Memorial Super Moderator

Drives: 2005 Kia Cerato LD [2L petrol] manual, 1986 Nissan Pulsar hatch
Gallery: 3
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thumbs up

I think the in tank filter on my Cerato is listed at 80000km but unless you are getting particularly bad fuel I would say you could easily go longer. I have put over 100000km on some large metal case inline filters on my other cars and the filters were still clean when I opened them to have a look out of curiosity. It depends on the fuel storage quality in your area my 1986 Nissan Pulsar has a metal fuel tank that is as shiny as the day it was made inside after 23 years of service no residue or anything, but I have seen some horror stories inside tanks much newer as well. It's up to you wheth er you want to risk a bad filter causing problems or not, a look at the inside of the tank can tell you a lot, it doesn't take too long.

TAKE YOUR TIME, THINK IT OUT, DO IT RIGHT, DO IT ONCE!! original quote by me as far as I know. :rolleyes:
ALL MEMBERS PLEASE FILL IN USER PROFILES. DETAILS HELP OTHER MEMBERS HELP YOU .

Last edited by pulsar86; 09-25-2009 at 03:14 PM.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)