Kia Forum banner

2005 Kia Spectra Auto Trans Problem

17K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  ddire 
#1 ·
I have an 05 Spectra that has been hunting for third gear since about 10k km. Now when it shifts to third is slams pretty hard. Kia is in the process of replacing the trans with only 30k kms. No codes in the ecu. Any ideas out there, anyone else with the same problem. No other posts on the net about this I could find... I can't be the only one with this issue.

ddire

#3 ·
DD:

I wonder what KIA did to the tranny and/or programming to cause this in the 2005's?

The auto trans in my 2004.5 EX shifts flawlessly, and it's got 10,000+ miles on it now.

I'll bet they tweaked the tranny's adaptive logic module/firmware for something related to fuel efficiency or something like that for the 2005's, and didn't get something "quite right".

Please keep us posted on here with the final corrections they make.

Thanks,

-SM

#5 ·
Well, after hounding the local Kia dealer once a week (Fredericton Kia) I was supposed to me with the district service manager. He was a no show yesterday morning.

After a few phone calls to the district service manager they decided to "reset" the cars computers by pulling the battery for 10 minutes. Then a specific driving sequence, three standing starts, one easy acceleration, one medium and one to the max acceleration.

The procedure would clear the memory of the computers. Apparently, the adaptive characteristics of the transmission and engine computers get mixed up when trying to deal with certain driving styles over a period of time. For the record, I'm an aggressive driver but not from the rice rocket crowd. I'm 37 and usually have my family in the car so it's not like I'm 16 and dogging it to death.

Initial impressions, everything seems pretty good so far. Transmission shifts much more smoothly. Down shifts to an appropriate get through rolling stops when before it would not. Shifts between 2-3 are smooth and do not slam hard so far.

I've only put about 60 miles/100KM on the car so it will take some time to see if this is a true fix. I think just for the **** of it, every time I change the oil I will pull the battery and run it through the 3 standing start procedure.

I'll keep everyone up do date.

ddire

#7 ·
Interesting. When I test drove a Spectra5, I almost killed myself and the salesman because when I tried to make a left-hand turn in traffic, it just kind of thought.... about.... it.... for.... a....long....time before the rpms finally kicked in and it went. I wonder if that comes from the adaptive logic after several different people with varying driving styles drive the car?

I had all but ruled out the Spectra5 but I'm thinking of taking another look. The other cars on my short list include Elantra GT 5 door (which I also didn't like the first time but was much better second time out), Suzuki Aerio & Suzuki Reno. The Spectra and Elantra share a lot of gear, but the Spectra5 looks much better imo.

#10 ·
I'm driving a 2004.5 Spectra and it just recently started to jerk really hard when shifting into thrid.. it feels like I'm running over a HUGE rock... I'm not sure if this is the same thing you were dealing with? How did the computer reset work out for you? Have you had anymore problems? I plan on taking the car in sometime this weekend, and I was wondering if I should ask them to perform the reset on my car... I did recently get my oil changed and it seems to have muted the jerk, but it's still not very smooth

#11 ·
Sounds the same as my problem. The reset helps for a while then it start the process of hunting for third. As it gets worse it starts to hit very hard.

They've ordered a new computer for the car in hopes that it has updated software. I doubt it though, I bet the computer has been sitting on a shelf for months and has old software.

d

#12 ·
Update,

The new computer was installed yesterday. All I can say is, WOW, where did all the hp come from. Excelleration is wicked fast. Top speed has gone from 180 to 200 and still climbing, I ran out of road.

Shifting is VERY good now with only a small bobble when the rev limiter kicks in.

So far so good, I'll update in a few hundred KMS.

d

#16 ·
Hi
Im kinda new to all of this "modding" stuff but want to do it. Does anyone know where abouts i can buy parts for a Kia Cerato 05. I want a knew cat back system(muffler and all), intercooler kit, bodykit and i want to fit a sunroof in.(Iforgot to tick that box when i bought it. If anyone knows an address or a place that would be very helpful. Thanks

#17 ·
I have a 2004.5 spectra, from reading above it sounds similar to what mine is doing. When going from second to thrid it will not change gears under WOT (lot of getting on the Interstates), it just hits the rev limiter and starts cutting out, I have to take my foot off the gas, then it will change in to third. Any of you had this happen? BTW the dealership said it was normal with the new tranny in the 2004.5 and up models.

#19 ·
I noramally don't drive it hard, just need it sometimes to get it up to speed to get on the Interstate (short on ramp) and sometimes to pass someone. Should have just got the 5 speed, wife talked me in to the auto, it is her car anyway.

Glad to know I am not the only one with this.

#21 ·
While it may be normal, it is not right!! I haven't tried holding it to the mat to see what happens at redline but it does cut out for a second or two before it shifts. That I can live with.... the other problems I could not.

Now at 500kms on a half tank (filled up the neck) and still going strong. It really feels like it has a 6 in it.

d

#22 ·
hey took my cAr in on friday. They ran some tests and found it was a simple looose connection to the tranny. TPS or something to the like. Said one wire wasnt making contact. They where also bringing up codes P0122, P0301, P0304, and P0300. But now it is running great.

#24 ·
Take the service manager for a drive. You drive, make it slam.... if he says it's normal, demand a converstion with the regional service manger.

FYI, they replaced the computer in my car and the trans works great now...

Be polite, no one likes a **** head, legit problem or not..... :)

d

#25 ·
Well, after having my trans cpu replaced a few months back things seemed to be getting better but slowly start getting worse again. Replacing the trans cpu was done in hope it would have updated software........ no such luck it seems.

I went back to the dealer this week..... there is a new TSB.... another reprogramming procedure of a specific amount of throttle runs...... like before but somewhat different I guess... seems to be shifting very smoothly now....

I'm told there are 5 new trans cpu's at Kia HQ in Toronto that have a Beta software on them if this doesn't work.... we'll see.

On another note of the passenger air bag light/recall etc.....

Before the recall the light would come on and off at random..... after the recall the light will be on 99% of the time with my wife in the seat. Here is the setup for this issue......

The only time the light is on (when it's not supposed to) is with my wife in the seat... other people it works fine. My father is 5.8 and 300lbs.... I buddy of mine from work is 5.7 and 130 soaking wet..... both guys the light stays out like it should be....

Now here is the catcher... my wife is 5.3 and 200lbs...... and the damn light is on most of the time. The theory is the skinny guy fits nicely between the side bolster and put the correct amount of pressure on the senor pad (picture a heating blanket from WalMart to help sore muscles.) My dad who is much wider sits on the side bolsters as well but is much heavier and put the right amount of pressure on the pad....

Which leaves my wife... who is not as heavy as my Dad but wider then my skinny buddy..... most of her weight is on the side bolsters and there for not putting the required amount of pressure on the sensor pad.

I figured there would be a good way to prove the theory so I waited until the airbag light was on when my wife was in the seat and had her get out and take a thick towel and fold it over on itself a couple of time... place in on the middle of the seat where the pressure pad would be and then sit back down..... guess what? The damn light when out......

If you look at the NHTSA web site and look up recalls etc there is a section where people launch complaints..... there are a lot of folks with the same problem... some of which have had Kia replace the seat.. as the senor only comes with the seat.... and the problem persists.

My dealer has a seat on order but we figure if this doesn't work we have the upholstery shop just build up the seat cushion.... which would be nice as the seats are a little week anyway.

I'll let everyone know how it works out...

d

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.