Kia Forum banner

Rear ended - declared total loss

9K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  DavesSpectra 
#1 · (Edited)
Sadly, our Spectra5 was rear ended last month, and the insurance has declared it a total loss (based on the repair estimate i submitted). Car is still perfectly driveable and we're going to keep driving it until they come pick it up... On the bright side, id like to buy another Spectra5 :) What worries me is that the insurance will only pay fair market value? Looking up in KBB i find it to be around $1700? I cant even get the same car with that amount. Do i have any fight in the amount pay-off? Can it be argued to use market value instead? Around here i still see them go for around $3000-$4500... Basically seeking some advice here before the adjuster arrives to evaluate it so that im prepared with some knowledge ahead of time.

Thanks!

#2 ·
You don't have to take what they are offering! Do you have any receipts for car repairs that you have done recently? Did you buy some tires? Windshield? Any kind of repair/maintenance would do the trick. If you just spent 400.00 of tires they are not going to give you 400 back towards the car but they might give you 250 towards the price of the total......
Good luck.

#3 ·
Here in NY we have an option to buy it back(usually for a "song") If you can repair the damage at a low cost and have the car inspected(and pass) a recertification done by the state, You could possibly come out ahead on the whole deal. BUT it depends on you to do some "leg work" and find out if this works the same in Ca. IF you really want to keep it as you say it is still driveable. Otherwise the ins. company usually holds the "upper hand". In any case, hope all works out well for you!

#4 ·
Cobra - Yes ive been told about submitting repair receipts, which is still very little compared to the KBB value. This was a well cared for serviced maintained car, and darn near flawless before the accident.

MIA - yes its perfectly "driveable", however the rear doors wont open, and the flooring inside the trunk area has buckled upward. From the outside it appears fine, only the bumper looks like it dropped an inch. I wouldnt want to keep it, but i do want another one just like it

#5 ·
I've never had to haggle over the totaled value of a car, but I've been told that if you can show the insurance company comparable cars in your area that they would use that as a basis to adjust the value of your loss. This works better if you have proof that you've maintained your car. (oil changes, timing belt, tires, fluids, etc)

The one time I paid to keep my totaled car, I paid a fee equal to my deductible - $500.

#6 ·
Just an update - things worked out quite well. I ended up getting $2637 and they told me to keep the car and dispose of it on my own. They dont know that the car is still perfectly driveable. I ended up handing it down to my father-in-law who could use it to pick up my kids from school. The one door that wont open and the flooring of the trunk area buckled upward doesnt bother him :) From the outside looks fine

#10 ·
Just an update - things worked out quite well.
That is awesome news. Lucky you.

I hope, though, that you repaired the back of the car so that it is street worthy.

#11 · (Edited)
Here is a pic. You can see it doesnt appear too bad from the outside, i pulled off the rear valance because it got mangled up... Ill spray paint the bumper and clean up the scratches but thats it, im not willing to spend on repairing, it just doesnt calc out with its value. The repair estimate was over $6K

Attachments

#12 ·
Here is a pic. You can see it doesnt appear too bad from the outside, i pulled off the rear valance because it got mangled up... Ill spray paint the bumper and clean up the scratches but thats it, im not willing to spend on repairing, it just doesnt calc out with its value. The repair estimate was over $6K
I cannot see the pics as they are in photobucket - blocked here, just like any other picture host server.
I can view only within the forum attachments.

#14 ·
Yes, you are different... lol
I must comment to explain you that my work place blocks IPs of pics hosting servers... hence I cannot view anything what is attached from photobucket, imgur, or others. But I can see forum attachments no problem.

#17 ·
I can see slight rear bumper fascia displacement. But am really curious as to which rear door does not work, if the rear hatch is meant please say so. That may just be a jammed latch and easily worked to make operable again, along with easy diy adjustment to the rear bumper fascia!

#19 ·
If that were mine to "play" with, from the drivers side view. I would jump in and see if judicial use of a wood block wedge and BHH would make the LR door operable again. Looks like just a slight "pinch" to the door/quarter panel, but the distance of shot and white color make it hard to say for sure. At least it is still in use and "in the family"!

#20 ·
The unitized body has been pushed forward and that is why the spare tire wheel well and the rear driver side door are damaged...

By removing the rear bumper cover you would see the damage... a frame shop should be able to pull the damage "out" and the door would then work properly...
Shop around for a shop that can do "just the pull" on a frame machine for a reasonable price $200~300... The damage looks very low (missing the hatchback door)...

I repaired very similar damage on a "salvage"2008 Hyundai Accent hatchback for my son to drive... After the rear was pulled I used a small 2x4 (lumber) and a sledge hammer to straighten out the spare wheel storage area... The rear bumper reinforcement and mounting brackets was damaged (beneath the bumper cover) but I was able to pound out the damage and painted it. It is hidden by the cover... That was in 2010 and he is still in love with his Accent and has had only minor problems with the drive train...

Yours IS repairable to look good and serve you well for little money... I'm driving a 2006 Spec SX (4 door version of the Spec5) that was "salvage" that I have owned since early 2010...
Salvage is just a word on my title and I don't drive the title I drive the car!

p.s.
Your kids need to understand that they won't die riding in a car that's paid for... Otherwise they can walk or God forbid ride the school bus.... :)
Dave

Reactions: MIA KIA 09
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.