Kia Forum banner

Smokes

2K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  DavesSpectra 
#1 · (Edited)
2004 Spectra, Runs well no CEL but has knock sensor code smokes at idle. Has power but some hesitation. Recent work includes Timing belt, Head gasket, plugs, oil pump, Junk yard head. new cat (rear) front cat junk yard. I think my issue might be in the front cat. Or crank sensor any ideas?

#3 ·
What bothers me is the "junk yard head"... That and the timing belt and water pump says the original timing belt broke and there was damage to the head from broken valves...
The smoking may come from damage to the cylinder walls and piston rings from pieces of Broken valve heads and stems smashing into the sides..
We don't know "if" the head was checked for warpage and the head gasket may also be not sealing properly and oil may be making it's way into the combustion chambers..

Spectras on the average do not smoke...even with higher mileage..
If it is a 2004.5 a good low mileage engine can usually be found for under $500 as there are many earlier (2004.5~2009) Spectras that were "totaled" when they should have been repaired. Insurance companies thought that they were "throwaway" cars like the 2000~2004 models... The found out different when the newer Spectras were shown to be very reliable (if maintained properly)... I have seen posts on them with over 250k miles on original engine/trannys and still going strong...

If you are looking for a replacement engine (for 2004.5 or newer) try car-part.com I have found them for members of these forums at very good prices...especially compared to Toyotas/Mazda/Mitsubishi engines... The 2.0L is a very reliable engine..
Dave

#4 ·
I did have the head checked for warp. It is a 1.8L the Belt did not break, I was looking for why it was misfiring and found valve damage so I rreplaced both the head, belt, and water pump. Once, the engine misfired recently very badly. cyl 3,4 codes cleared itself up and went right along. Something is happening with the knock sensor retarding the timing then it misfires along with the smoke. Partially why I was thinking crank sensor.

#9 ·
Pull the plugs and look for a very clean one...that looks different from the other three...
It does sound like you either have a warped head or a head gasket that didn't seal correctly... Just a little coolant leak will give you white smoke and misfiring..You might not even notice a small loss of coolant...
I hope the knock sensor cures it...
Dave

#11 ·
I have always heard that a high mileage engine getting a rebuilt/replaced head that brings the compression up in a worn engine could cause problems with oil blow-by on the piston rings... The worn lower parts could be put through more stress than what they could handle...

You did not state the mileage on the engine so a guess of higher mileage (say above 150k) may be the condition of the engine....
I'd say start looking for a low mileage 1.8L engine to replace this one....and recover the new parts from your repair attempts...

I know on the 2004.5~ Spectras the 2.0L engines with high mileage and need of repairs do not make any sense to repair... Drop the old engine and install the donor.... It just makes monetary sense to do so... (under $500 for one with 35k miles) compaired to the labor and parts to repair a high mileage engine...

Just said the same thing to an owner of a 2005 Spectra that has 345k miles on the engine and tranny.... I found a donor car within 150miles of him that the engine and tranny had under 20k miles and the pair (engine and tranny) were less than $900..
He would end up with basically a car with a new drive train and would have only to address smaller things like wheel bearings and brakes in the future... To me that made perfect sense when looking at future reliability...

I would think that your current engine will just keep costing you money... and if you decide to keep the car this may be your best move now...
Just some thoughts
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.