Kia Forum banner

Speedo not working FIX

46K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MiyagiSan 
#1 · (Edited)
Hopefully this works.

Dave you can edit the how to on this.

1st I spliced into the 12v line at the sensor and hooked up directly to the battery, it did not fix it. 2nd Ispliced into the ground line at the sensor and hooked it directly to frame, it did not fix it. 3rd I spliced into the signal wire at the sensor, ran a wire from there to the instrument cluster and spliced that into the signal wire right at the connector. I believe its the wire in the middle. I will do this tonight and will update you guys if it works. if not next thing to do is replace the TransControlModule (JohnCamp)

When your speedo only works for the first 10-15 mins of driving and all of a sudden it stop working or it only works when its 30degrees or lower outside temp.

This is how you fix that problem:
Things you need: 16g wire about 3-5 feet, wire cutter/snips, heat shrink to wrap wires together or electrical tape, needle nose grips and a Philips head screw driver

1:locate your speed sensor
2:remove speed sensor wire( use needle nose grips to remove locking clip)
3:splice into the wire (Green wire with orange stripe) don't have to cut the wire completely just enough to expose the wire so you can tap into it.
4: tap into the expose wire and put electrical tape or heat shrink tubing on it to prevent any corrosion in the future
5:feed your wire into the firewall(probly gonna have to drill a hole in your firewall best place to drill is about 3" bellow the brake booster) I already had a couple of holes pre drilled in my car since I have installed a 0g wire to run my amp and 16g wire to run my horn for my alarm airhorn.
6: remove your speedo (2 Philips head screw attach the cover for the speedo unscrew that and pull out cover
7: 4 more Philips head screw holding the speedo itself and pull out the speedo
8:pull out speedo and tilt it forward the harness to your right is the one you want to tap into (green wire with orange stripe)
9:tap into it and put tape on it.
10:put everything back together

Goodluck

I would post the pics but I don't know how to add pics to edited post.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
This is going to seem like a very dumb question but how do you remove the bezel around the Gauge cluster? I've removed the two screws on the top but it still seems like something is holding it in on the bottom. Do I just need to pull harder or is there something holding the bottom that I need to remove?

#11 ·
KIA Carens 2.0 CRDi ( 140 Hp ) 2009 Tachometer not function.
I have a problem with my Carens. No mileage works. Only the engine, fuel, and temperature arrows work. I moved the sensor that is mounted in the exchange and still does not work. I switched the carriage and the same situation. I do not know how to do it. Is there any such experience?

#12 ·
Hopefully this works.

1st I spliced into the 12v line at the sensor and hooked up directly to the battery, it did not fix it. 2nd Ispliced into the ground line at the sensor and hooked it directly to frame, it did not fix it. 3rd I spliced into the signal wire at the sensor, ran a wire from there to the instrument cluster and spliced that into the signal wire right at the connector. I believe its the wire in the middle. I will do this tonight and will update you guys if it works. if not next thing to do is replace the TransControlModule (JohnCamp)

When your speedo only works for the first 10-15 mins of driving and all of a sudden it stop working or it only works when its 30degrees or lower outside temp.

Things you need: 16g wire about 3-5 feet, wire cutter/snips, heat shrink to wrap wires together or electrical tape, needle nose grips and a Philips head screw driver

3:splice into the wire (Green wire with orange stripe) don't have to cut the wire completely just enough to expose the wire so you can tap into it.
4: tap into the expose wire and put electrical tape or heat shrink tubing on it to prevent any corrosion in the future
5:feed your wire into the firewall(probly gonna have to drill a hole in your firewall best place to drill is about 3" bellow the brake booster) I already had a couple of holes pre drilled in my car since I have installed a 0g wire to run my amp and 16g wire to run my horn for my alarm airhorn.
6: remove your speedo (2 Philips head screw attach the cover for the speedo unscrew that and pull out cover
8:pull out speedo and tilt it forward the harness to your right is the one you want to tap into (green wire with orange stripe)

Goodluck

2005 Kia Cerato auto RHD. Did this exactly, Cable #6 made Speedo jump around as revs changed. Cable #5 stopped tachometer working. From here I went with my gut and just matched the colour cable (blue with orange stripe) which from memory wasn’t even on the top row. We got there in the end and fingers crossed it continues to work properly.

Also for anyone trying this with a RHD version like me. Under the carpet behind the brake there is an ovalish cutout in the rubber lining that is sitting there. Pop it out or fold it out of the way and drill trough the firewall here. Under the bonnet in roughly the same spot there is a similar shape stamp in the sound deadener the drill will pop out here and miss any vital components.
PS the factory cabling is so thin and fragile no wonder it fails so easily.

#14 ·
Hopefully this works.

Goodluck

Did you do this to the input or the output sensor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.