LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 03:29 PM

Drives: 2004 KIA Spectra LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Question 04 Spectra \ Power Locks & Speedometer not working?

So I recently acquired an 04 Spectra and I'm having some odd issues. First the speedometer is not working and I'm not really sure whats up on that. Ive read some of the other threads related to the speedometer and I THINK it might be the fuse box but.. yeah. Its really just the speedometer that doesn't work. Everything else in the cluster works great. And when I move the key to the “on“ position the speedometer gauge moves a little like its ready to go.

And on another note the power locks don't lock anymore when the car is off. Like you know how when you get out of the car you can stick the key in the door and move it twice and it locks all the doors? Its doesn't do that anymore for some reason.

I'm kinda stumped on this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 11:18 PM

Nevermind, i fixed the lock issue! it was the "room" fuse. it got blown when i crossed a wire installing a stereo. Speedometer still dosnt work though.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)

It looks like you have a 2004.5 Spectra (LX is the clue).
There are posts in the Spectra area about the speedometer going dead or intermittent.
They have to do with a bad/noisy/shorted/open wire and it's connections between the speed sensor on the transmission and the actual speedometer cluster...
There really hasn't been a lot of clear definition about WHAT the real cause is..
And it seems that cutting that wire (at both ends) and bypassing it with a new wire (from sensor to speedo) has solved it in more than one case..

It could be voltage leaking between pins inside a connector, or a bad (corroded) connection, a short between two wires in the harness, or just electrical noise interfering with the pulses in that wire...

I kinda wish we could pinpoint "why" bypassing that wire seems to solve "most" of the int/dead speedometer problems in the 2004.5~2009 Spectras...

There is enough of these showing up to make it a sticky in the Spectra area of these forums...
http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-cerato...o-problem.html
Dave
#4 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks! when i took it too the inspection office today the thing ran like a dream AND the speedometer worked. but when i cut the car off and started it back up it was dead again. Ill run the wire though. couldnt hurt.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)