Kia Forum banner

voice recognition

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  brynpayne 
#1 ·
I just bought a new Kia serento a few weeks ago and cannot get the blue tooth voice recognition to work. It keeps saying it does not understand and asks me to repeat my command when I ask for it to make a call by name. Does any one else have this problem? It does understand when I ask to dial a number. No problems with that. I did do a Audio speaker adaptation and that did not help. I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up before. I tried to seach it with no avail. Thank you so much for your help...:rolleyes:

#3 ·
My wife had the same problem with her Kia Soul 2012. To cure the issue: with the car running she simply turns her phone off and then turns it back on. The car will automaticaly reboot the contacts. For some reason after a number of month the car will forget her contacts, as you stated, she can also say the phone number but it forgets the contacts.

#4 ·
I had the same issue---try deleting the Sorento bluetooth device from your phone. Then on the Sorento radio, delete your phone. Shut the car off. Now you want to change the device name of your phone (in the bluetooth menu of your phone). Just make it something different from what you had it before. Turn the car back on and re-pair the phone. I did this and it worked for me. I think something is getting scrambled in the contact list and by doing this you can start fresh. I think the key here is to change the device name on your phone so the sorento will reset the contacts.

#8 ·
This happens if you haven't resynced the contacts every time the phone connects. You shouldn't HAVE to do that, but I discovered last year with my Galaxy S2 that, if you turned off the contact syncing after the initial sync (in order to save on connection time), the voice recognition for phone calls will ALWAYS fail. Manually forcing a contact sync will fix it. Or alternatively, just leave it on contact sync all the time (thought it will take longer for your phone to finish fully connecting every time it pairs).

I have found that the most recent UVO (I'm assuming that's what you have) firmware update (.13) has sped up the contact sync a bit... at least with my phone.

#9 ·
Also using a Galaxy S2 here with recent vintage ICS build along with most recent UVO firmware. On my unit, it takes a minute or two before the phone is synced and dialing by contact name is available (though I can still verbally dial by number almost immediately after the bluetooth connection is made). I've got about 300 contacts.

Best,

#10 ·
Have the same issue, mine started when I "upgraded" my cell phone from a blackberry (that worked on both name and number blue-tooth callout) to a Samsung smartphone....the same with the wife's smartphone - I thought it had something to do with the android updated software and not being truly compatible or able to interface with the Sorrento....going to Verizon and seeing what my friends there can do, since I am thinking it is something with the phone versus the Kia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.