Kia Forum banner

2013 Dash Rattles

19K views 29 replies 18 participants last post by  Rosscofat 
#1 ·
I have a March build 2013 Rio SX Sedan with UVO @7300KMS with a dashboard rattle that is driving me crazy! I Just came from renting a July 2013 Rio 5 LX+ With 12400KMS with the same problem.Anyone else have this most annoying issue? I know that KIA issued a TSB on the 2012 models for dash rattles but the 2013 are supposted to be fixed.My selling dealer isn't aware of anyone else with this problem:mad:.

#2 ·
I have the same noise on my 2012, which was produced in Feb, which is supposed to be AFTER the issue was fixed (on november 18th, 2011), as such my VIN is not eligible for the repair.

Something tells me this was NEVER fixed as they seem to still be producing vehicles with the same problem! I am tempted to shove some cloth or something between the front windshield and the dash to try to prevent the dash from moving.

I asked my dealer about it and since the TSB doesn't affect my production date (even though i do have the exact problem fixed by the TSB) there is nothing they can do, as they won't be reimbursed for their work by Kia Canada.

I have attached the TSB for reference.

Attachments

#8 ·
I have one air vent that rattles on roads that are only slightly rough and the inside panel on the front left door also does the same.....It doesnt do it all the time but does more often than not....wouldnt bloody do it when I took it in to be looked at... can be very annoying at times.

#16 ·
Dash rattle

My dealer fixed it on the second try.Problem was @ the passengers side @ base of windshield .Quote from my work order" Removed Glove box assembly.Added foam shim to leading edge of passengers side crash pad near edge of A pillar assembly.Upon inspection found leading edge of crash pad was intermittently rattling on support frame". They charged Kia Canada 1 hour labour.Dealer had to repeat process a week later as the tape shifted.Hope this helps all with Dashboard rattle.Now if I could just get that passengers seat higher:mad:

#20 ·
Seems to me is should be covered by the bumper to bumper warranty. If not, then, I think all of the dash pieces pop out with a bit of finesse . Id pop them out and put some thin layers of rubber strips in places that you see might be causing the rubbing effect of the pieces. Do it in such a way that they cant be seen from the exterior . I did this once with a car I owned...a 1995 Chrysler LeBaron I think it was...and solved it. Trouble with plastic dashes is that there is expansion and contraction and sometimes not good fit n finish. But ive got to say that my 2014 Kia Rio 5 is as tight as can be with no rattles inside or out. But it would drive me crazy too.

#23 ·
It should certainly fall under the 5 year/60 k. warranty which is bumper to bumper.

At any rate...ive bought new and used cars that have rattle dashboards and you have to pop off all of the dash compartments / covers that you possible can . What id do is, pop off one at a time then go for a drive over some fairly rough terrain to see if the noise goes away...then youll know which cover was the culprit. You can then make it fit tighter typically by adding some flexible foam stripping found at any hardware store . They come in varying thicknesses and they have a peel-off paper on it. Apply it where the two pieces of plastic meet each other on the Dash and the particular cover you have removed. Ive had good success at this.

Other options are : Bang on the Dash where the noise is coming from in hopes you make it fit a tad tighter, and/or, turn up the radio louder and just admit defeat.

#25 ·
Just had my Rio serviced (at a different dealer) & they checked out the dash rattle that the first dealer said "wasn't there". Turns out the dash mounting frame was loose & missing a bolt. They replaced the missing bolt, tightened it all & added the packing strip at the base of the windscreen. What a difference! All covered under warranty & one happy owner :)

#28 ·
just got mine back from having the heater box replaced (climate control wouldn't blow on feet, would just blast air onto the windshield) and all is good in that department. Got them to put some padding/tape etc behind the dash before they put it back in and now it's quiet as a mouse, very happy.

was pretty bad prior to that.

#29 ·
Mine is pretty bad, especially around my CD player/audio area. You press on that plastic and it just makes terrible noises. My dealer seems to be a waste of time when it comes to dash rattles. I guess I'll just live with it for now. If I was more car inclined I would try to fix it myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.