Kia Forum banner

Vacum pipes

25K views 22 replies 5 participants last post by  PeterBlue 
#1 ·
can anybody help me with a diagram for the vacum pipes on a Kia Carnival 2.5 V6 automatic 2002 model:confused:

#5 · (Edited)
Not a diagram, but if you go here, where I have some detail on changing the rear sparkplugs (which requires removing the surge tank if done from above), there's a photo that points out the approximate location of the lines.

In summary, there are four lines connected the surge tank:

1. The brake booster vacuum line at the rear of the tank.

2. The purge line for the fuel evaporative emissions canister (which goes via the purge solenoid assembly to the evap. canister on the right).

3. The crankcase vacuum scavenge line which then splits to the right and left camshaft covers,

4. The thin manifold pressure compensation line running from near the throttle body to the injector fuel rail pressure regulator.

Is that what you are after? Can I ask what's behind the question?

#6 · (Edited)
Hi again Daniel,

On vacuum hoses, I did respond to your post above for info on the connections to the surge tank. There's no diagram as such for the vacuum system that I can see in the workshop manual I have on the 2.5l V6 model.

On water pipes, there no diagram in the Cooling System section either and not a lot of detail on the full circuit. Can you give some more detail on what you are after here? Are you after just the cooling system related connections to the engine? (There are also coolant pipes running to the front heater and down the back to the rear heater, air purge pipes that are technically part of the coolant system, etc). Happy to answer specific questions by looking at mine. (It is a 2004 model, but I don't think there's substantial if any difference).

Cheers,
Peter

#8 ·
Peter has just about nailed the response

Look for one of my earlier posts - it had the engine manual.

That has some pictures identifying everything - connection ID wise.
Not much in the way of hose routing though...

The nylon tube goes from one side of engine heads to the other.
Its rubber hose ends are usually brittle & cracked - replace if necessary)
Connects onto front (drivebelt end) hose stubs- and tees into stub atop throttle body near throttle wire connection.
The rear (air filter end) cylinder head/surge intake stubs connect to the stubs atop throttle body closer to air filter.

And you also have the brake vacuum hose as well.

You never take any pictures before dismantling?
Or did you inherit a broken down job?

You also asked about the coolant connections.
You fine with them now?
Be wary of the brittle plastic fittings going into engine- don't swing on 'em
Crack and leak easily...

#9 ·
Daniel, here's a photo of the two breather connections from the (visible) camshaft cover.

The nearer one (i.e. towards the front of the engine) connection goes to the T-piece you can see just above the inlet manifold side of the surge tank, and from there to the connection you can see on the top of the throttle body, on the surge tank (vacuum) side of the T/B. (The other side of the T-piece goes to the corresponding connection on the other bank's camshaft cover).

The other connection on the camshaft cover goes to the 2-way connection on the top of the throttle body that's on the air cleaner (atmospheric pressure) side. And the other hose on that connection goes of course to the corresponding connection on the other bank.

HTH.

Did you need some input on coolant connections?

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

#13 ·
#14 · (Edited)
Vacuum hoses connection and crankcase breather PCV Valve

as far as I'm aware the K5 engine uses a vacuum orifice as CCV
- in lieu of a PCV valve.

Our air inlet manifold/surge is different from the Rover KV6 .
But it handles the oil sucked thru from crankcase into it better.
Clean the cummed up mesh at Breather connection within cylinder covers when able..
The Rover guys went thru a period of installing a catch tank.
MG ZS 180
You'll see the oil inside your air intake/VICS chamber end and throttle body.
A good clean of everything a good idea at timing belt change intervals...

I otherwise always leave throttle body connected to surge/air intake otherwise. just take it out as one piece..

#15 ·
as far as I'm aware the K5 engine uses a vacuum orifice as CCV - in lieu of a PCV valve.
What had me looking for it were the multiple references to the PCV valve in the Kia FL workshop manual for the 2.5l engine (e.g. ‘Replace faulty PCV valve’, etc, etc).

When I took the LH bank camshaft cover off it was clear that the manual is not correct, the engine uses a valveless CCV design.

So your assumption's right, I can see the scavenge orifice pressed into the bottom of the vacuum fitting in the camshaft cover.

Before touching or cleaning anything I put a clean plastic hose on the vacuum fitting on the cover & applied suction and there was good flow (which I thought was pretty good after 110,000km). So the ‘block’ of mesh that filters it seems to be effective enough. There was very little hard char on the orifice side of the mesh.

The orifice is about 1mm (0.040”) diameter – at least that’s the largest diameter piano wire (gently applied) that would go through it. Once cleaned though, the flow was much increased with the suction test, so it was certainly partly clogged.

It seems like a 1mm / 40 thou wire up the vacuum fitting on each cover at intervals would be a good idea, & simple to do. Would need the surge tank off to do the RH bank, so likely in combination with something else e.g. sparkplugs.

Its rubber hose ends are usually brittle & cracked - replace if necessary)
Yep, the rubber of the vacuum and breather hoses on mine is brittle and splitting alright – what do you replace yours with, I assume something with better heat resistance.

Peter

#18 ·
Breather hose - rubber ends

just some hose from the auto shop
Fuel/oil resistant.
Try & route away from any direct hot metal contact...

Usually use some sealant on the nylon tube line
- as well as just pushing the hose ends over it.

#22 ·
Thanks for posting the picture.

The story behind why i appreciate the picture you posted is that , my mates Kia carnival was last serviced by K-Mart auto here in Brisbane. Timing belt was change and was service according to service manual. But the car was never the same again after that, everything was mess up. The car knocks badly and has no power and the parts tossing begun. They replaced plugs, coil and still the same. My mate had bear with the problem for two years and many mechanics had check it and the same concept of repair was taken, tossed more parts on it.

So the opportunity was given to me to fix it because his family went for a holiday for 1month abroad. I also toss parts on it , pressure regulator, o2 sensor (i test it and not working) new tensioner pulleys, heated air sensor, coolant temperature sensor but because he got no job i scavenge some parts from the wreckers for camshaft sensor (kia shuma) and crankshaft sensor (kia rio JB series). Everything is ok when it is cold but when the engine is getting warmer you could hear the engine knocks and somewhat like it is running lean. When cruising the highway at 100kph it is spewing white smoke and also when the car stays overnight and when started in the morning.

The vacuum and emission line was mess up, the back pcv hose should go in the t fitting before the throttle body but was placed in the vacuum fitting after the throttle body, and the vacuum hose was place on the pcv t fitting before the throttle body. Thats the reason why unmetered air is getting inside the throttle body. Now i may say it is fix.

#23 · (Edited)
Kia K5 Crankcase Ventilation System hose routing

Yeah the workshop manuals are not very helpful on this. I've been meaning to write up some additional info & photos on this (and other subjects) but unfortunately work's been busy so only just getting back to it in the quiet of newyear.

I've attached some photos and words on the crankcase vacuum and breather lines, have put them in this thread as it keeps it together with the other useful info in the thread.

Input & suggestions from the K5 experts out there always welcome!

Cheers,
Peter

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.