Kia Forum banner

Kia carnival 2.9 crdi 2003 diesel- not starting

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  isaactrio 
#1 ·
i haven't used my carnival for 2 weeks since bought and it is almost 10 months now since packed.
the problem started when i started using an unprogrammed key After a while it wouldnt start again; just jerks forcefully. then the rewire came and put 24v on it supposing the battery was not powerful enough and it brought out smoke from the dashboard. later, i got it scanned and discovered that the ECU was locked. so many have tried different thing to no availyet no luck. someone advised i get another ecu lockset which i have installed yet it is not delivery diesel to the injector (doesn't open up); though the ECU lock message is no more there. The latest scan shows crank shaft positioning sensor malfunction. Please, can somebody help with what to do?

#2 ·
The sensor(s) are/were looking for 12v for operation. You may need to replace a lot of parts since putting 24v on the whole car's system.

The "RAW" operating voltage normally directly coming from the battery (12~14v) is usually sent directly to the sensors, alternator, starter, headlights, tail lights, fuel injectors, and the ECM. So putting 24v on those items is going to cause problems...

The ECM "might" be save-able by a good electronic tech as it's electronics uses internal voltage regulators. It depends on how it's built. I know it is protected by a reverse voltage protection diode/rectifier that is designed to fail and blow the ECM fuse so it may have other internal protections also.

You may need to become good friends with a salvage yard owner that has a car like yours that was totalled as you may need lots of parts to get yours going again.

Hind site is 20/20....
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.