Kia Forum banner

type of oil

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  xattica 
#1 ·
me and hubby are having a disagreement....

we live in georgia where it is very hot..so....
what is the best oil to put in my 05 sorento w/ 90000 miles on it

#2 ·
Synthetic oil is well-suited for hot conditions, BUT switching a car over to synthetic after 90,000 miles and 6 years can have ramifications.

Seals (oilpan, rear & front main, primarily) can be compromised by that age, and some have sludge buildup around the sealing surfaces. Often, that sludge is the only thing keeping the seal from leaking. Synthetic oil is highly detergent, which can clean away the sludge and start a leak. I've had it happen, and the only way to fix it is to have the gasket / seal replaced. I'm not saying ALL cars have this condition...yours may not, and would be fine switching over to syn. But if this condition exists, once the leak is started, it's a done deal until you disassemble & replace.

If what you've been using is working for you, I'd recommend sticking with it, or switching to a high-mileage conventional oil. It conditions seals and won't do anything to start a leak.

#6 ·
Agreed. I've just switched over to running Amsoil fully synthetic. I intend to anticipate the issues noted above but I think it's worth the hassle because it should run way more efficiently in the long run. 10W-30 is what I'm running. But obviously that depends on your area.

#4 ·
Valvoline makes a "high mileage" blend (Synthetic and "out of the ground" petroleum)
and they back it with a warranty. They state it "won't damage seals".
The newest types of full synthetics are formulated not to hurt the insides of engines even at high miles (90k really isn't considered "high" by today's standards)

I said "out of the ground" because even the synthetic uses modified "natural" oil products when it "builds" the molecules for synthetics.

This "brand" has been good to me over the years and has left "MY" engines clean insides and without major breakdown... You chose what you will as this is only my suggestion.

I run only synthetic in my cars after a short break-in period (aprox 10k miles).
Dave

#5 ·
I have been running Tech 2000 Full Synth 5-30 since 35,000 miles. While having the valve covers off to replace the gaskets (118,000)the insides looked very clean. I am happy with the oil I use. This is my opinion take it for what it is worth.

#7 · (Edited)
As ntoolsman1 said "what are you currently running in it" would be a BIG HELP.
Then we can nitpick what the best plan of action is for you at 90K. ;)

What I ran in my 2004 Sorento 3.5L has no bearing on you. I ran FULL SYNTH 5w20 35K-78K. Leak free miles. Have no idea before 32K what was in it as bought used in 2007 at 32K and dealer changed oil for sale on lot with KIA recommended (all areas, all climates) 5w20 oil that happened to be DINO Mobil on paperwork. Got good MPG and almost never the common 3.5L tick from HLA's if daily/semi daily driver. Long term (two weeks) parking garage at airport while in KEY WEST yes I got long start up tick and weak battery. :p

What you run= Maker (Valvoline/Castrol/QS/Penz/Mobil/ect) and Wieght (very important) 5w20/10w30/10w40/15w40/20w50/30w/40w/50w.

And if you can and have it a handy or recall generally history of oil used. Like we started with 10w30 from new and then went to 5w20 at 30K-60K and now use 10w40 60K up till 90K. :)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

#9 · (Edited)
Yes cmar58, Thou I used FULL SYNTH and not SEMI (aka blend). You are right
a SEMI/BLEND Synth works well too if you like to stop 98% of the HLA/lifter chatter it is true. Thou KIA recommends 5w20 what ever you use and I think WOW 10w50 is thick! Like I said I use the FULL SYNTH 5w20 here in SC USA. Winter (rare snow) 20's> Summer can get 115 with heat index. Humid too.

P.S. lets find out what she is useing thou before we go and chatter away on what we do. If she listens to it and does it with out thinking or backup suggetions she might trash her rings and cause uber LEAKS fast. With 90K on this thing now and asking what she has from us. Nobody here yet has a clear picture of HER engine just yet. ;)

#10 ·
Yes fair enough, you are quite right, some engines just show individual preferences, I think it is important to find an oil it likes and suits your local conditions, and then stick to it.

Where we live, average daytime winter temp is about 20 - 25 DegC, night time can get occasional frost in late June/July but we live out of the city and back onto mountains. 90% of the time it runs to about 4-10 Deg C at night in winter. So it never gets really cold, and it never snows. It did sleet once, one very cold winter - my kids (who have never seen snow) thought it was snow, and wanted to make a snowman!

Summer average day temperatures are 30-35 Deg C with occasional days, (weeks this year - it was a hot summer) up to 40 Deg C. That's why I use the Penrite oil (a local oil company) which is rated "Extra 10" ie 10W 50 instead of the more usual 10W40. They also make a 5W 50 they recommend for the Sorento.

#11 ·
I can not flaw your reasoning yes for sure. In so much as YOUR CLIMATE and YOUR ENGINES picadillios. I just do now what KIA said (10 SOUL+ 2.0L/10 SOUL SPORT 2.0L) and did the same on past two (03 SPECTRA LS 1.8L/04 SORENTO LS 3.5L) 5w20. I did use 10w30/10w40 on past vechs but it was again FULL SYNTH. I do not know the Penrite Oil name but am sure it a good one if you say so. I do thou know and think that ANY oil that is DINO and is a 5w50! is one I would personally never use. Far to much being asked of it to do anything well. 15w40/20w50 are iffy and as far as I would go being smart. And then ONLY FULL SYNTH never DINO either. Unless I did not care about the vech. Or it was a KNOWN huge leaker and I was trying to slow down the blood shed and nothing more.

#12 ·
Hi,
Im new on Kia's. I purchased a 2008 kia with 22K miles on it at the dealership. Currently have 38K miles. Where did you change the oil? I went to the dealer but I spend a lot of time waiting. I can do it, but I live in an apartment with no space to do it. So what do you recommend? Looking to change conventional to synth 5w20. I live in Puerto Rico, so is very hot all year around. :D

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.