Kia Forum banner

First Symptoms on my Sportage - Check Engine light on

42K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ravenron 
#1 ·
Just to share the owner experience with everyone here...

Well, after driving for 3399 Miles (normal driving)... here come the first Symptoms. This morning when I start my car, the "Check Engine Light" turn on and don't go away. Check the fuel cap (ok).. restart the engine couple of times.. nothing suspicious... car just start like normal.. nor cracking or anything. Drove a few miles and still the "Check Engine light" on.

Deciding to bring it to dealer immediately... and reported the following after the diagnostic

"P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire"

Dealer found no problem and perform reset to clear the "Check Engine Light"

Well, since nothing found, the dealer would keep my car for a day and exchange for loaner if happened again :)

Will update again if this happened again.

Here is what I found from google

======================================================
======================================================
P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire

Technical Description

Cylinder #1 Misfire Detected

What does that mean?

A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.

Symptoms

Symptoms may include:
-the engine may be harder to start
-the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
-other symptoms may also be present

Causes

A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

-Faulty spark plug or wire
-Faulty coil (pack)
-Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
-Faulty fuel injector
-Burned exhaust valve
-Faulty catalytic converter(s)
-Running out of fuel
-Poor compression
-Defective computer

Possible Solutions

If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

See less See more
#6 ·
89 km's and the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT goes on?

Wow, I Knew this, all included in one Price, was too good to be true! You get what you pay for? What's next.....

I wonder if I can GIVE IT BACK, take my Toyota RAV4 back, it was 11 years old and had 97500 km and in the first 100km I knew it was a well built Toyota, NO I'd never buy ONE of them now, I'd be worrying if and when the Brakes would give, or the throttle would stick.

I'd better get more than, this is covered under warranty crap! BECAUSE I don't want it in the dealership LONGER than I have owned it.

Case in point, NEVER will buy another GM cause of my third one that was in the shop more in the first three months than me driving it around. I swore to GM and the dealer years ago, that I'd never touch GM for the rest of my life,.

The SPORTAGE EX LUXURY AWD is about my 14th NEW car, opps 15 now, I also drive a 2009 Mini Cooper S, It's not been to the SHOP and now pushing 9750 km.... It;s a FUN CAR to MOTOR around in, ONLY SUMMER driven,.

Any others wanna share their disappointment? Hurry let me know, I can still GIVE IT BACK.

#7 ·
Wow, I Knew this, all included in one Price, was too good to be true! You get what you pay for? What's next.....

I wonder if I can GIVE IT BACK, take my Toyota RAV4 back, it was 11 years old and had 97500 km and in the first 100km I knew it was a well built Toyota, NO I'd never buy ONE of them now, I'd be worrying if and when the Brakes would give, or the throttle would stick.

I'd better get more than, this is covered under warranty crap! BECAUSE I don't want it in the dealership LONGER than I have owned it.

Case in point, NEVER will buy another GM cause of my third one that was in the shop more in the first three months than me driving it around. I swore to GM and the dealer years ago, that I'd never touch GM for the rest of my life,.

The SPORTAGE EX LUXURY AWD is about my 14th NEW car, opps 15 now, I also drive a 2009 Mini Cooper S, It's not been to the SHOP and now pushing 9750 km.... It;s a FUN CAR to MOTOR around in, ONLY SUMMER driven,.

Any others wanna share their disappointment? Hurry let me know, I can still GIVE IT BACK.
8800 miles with no issues except the passenger wiper blade not clearing the windshield. They "adjusted" the arm and it seems to work ok...

#8 ·

Let me get this right...you want to TRY to give your Kia back because....someone else has a check engine light on? Your Kia does not have any problems right? What do YOU have to be disappoined about????????

#13 ·
Btw, just to update what my dealer did for this on my case... All they did was working with KIA and they reprogram my ECM under "Service Action SA070 ECM upgrade. and I also got a called from KIA support telling me they already worked with my local dealer to get it resolved.

Amazing, I never expect them to call me at all. Sweet.

Also I would suggest open a case with KIA online / call KIA hotline if you have any problem with your Sportage and tell them which Dealer you are dealing with... and they will work with your local dealer and take good care of you.

That is what I call 100,000 Miles warranty and worried free.!!!

My personal experience with KIA (Which is my first time owning KIA) never had such great customer service and help from KIA about my sportage questions.

I never even get that on my previous car service with Buick or Mitsu, and all they contacted me was to ask me they want to sell me more car. LOL!

#14 · (Edited)
Me, am I the idiot? or Idiots? This is why I don't post, was only saying that after 89km the check engine light should not come on, or maybe you expect these issues on a $ 40,000 car..... Not me, I expect to drive it free of defects, for at least 35,000km then hey, check engine, ya, maybe by then it's time to check the friggen thing.

The Dealer found NOTHING wrong so they re-set the computer chip I guess, ya, sure then why have the thing come on at all, if you're just gonna re-set the thing?

So, far so Good.... and I hope you didn't mean I was the Idiot. There was a 60 DAY, take it back with no questions asked.

Not where you're from? Should be a thing that happens everywhere that way you don't get stuck with a Lemon.

And the MINI COOPER S I also own, I had a test drive unit for 3 weekends before deciding to purchase.... 11,000 km and worry free?

Oh, and I didn't have to "TRY" to give it back.....

And it was MY KIA that had the check engine light on.... "not someone else"

If you have nothing good to say or suggest, don't call people IDIOTS.... they PAY good money and expect GOOD Quality stuff, not like the Latest TOYOTAS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.