Kia Forum banner

Clutch Slave Cylinder Blown Out

20K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  bombardj1 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone! New to the forums here and looking for a little help.

I have a 2002 Sportage 4x4 with manual trans. My clutch slave cylinder failed a few weeks ago. (fluid was pouring out of the rubber boot). I have replaced both the master and slave cyclinders now and bled the lines several times to make sure there was no air. The car was working I drove it a short distance to a couple of locations. Came back the next day and when I tried to start the car I had to press very hard on the clutch and then I felt the slave cylinder "blow out" again. Lost all pressure on the clutch pedal. The rod that pushes on the clutch release fork has been pushed out so far that it is stuck against the slave cyl. housing and the rubber boot has filled with fluid. This has happened three times now with the new slave cyl. First tiem I took the part back because I thought it was faulty. It happened again with the second new part and I just pushed all the bits back together and adjusted where the clutch pedal connects to the master cyl. Drove it a little bit and then it "blew out" again!

Sorry for the long explanation, but hopefully someone can give me some advice. Is there a specific adjustment I need to make to the clutch pedal? It seems like there is too much pressure being sent to the slave cyl. Is the slave cyl. just a bad part (second one?) I got the part form O'Reilley auto parts. Auto Zone near me said they couldn't even get one.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me.

Bill

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the KIA forums. The only thing I can think of is either you have gotten hold of two bad slave cylinders or the new master cylinder is the wrong diameter and is producing too much pressure to the slave cylinder..

#4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. The old slave cyl failed in the same way with the old master, then the new slave with old master, then second new slave with new master, so I don't really suspect the master cylinder at this point. I mostly suspect the adjustment at the pedal, but I was looking for someone to confirm that and hopefully give me some advice on the subject. Doing it by trial and error will be a literal pain in the backside!

The transmission internals seem pretty smooth and tight when the slave cyl was working and the clutch etc was replaced in Sept. 08 so it shouldn't be anything that major. It seems like I am just missing something small like a proper adjustment, but I can't really find any specific info anywhere. It's frustrating because there's really not much to changing the parts and everything looks pretty obvious when installing the new. I would have thought that the master cyl would mitigate most differences from the pedal and control the pressure that is sent to the slave cyl, but I'm obviously wrong on that account.

If anyone else has any wisdom on the subject I would certainly be glad to hear from you. I'll get it straightened out yet!

Thanks again!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.