a/c COMPRESSOR clutch ? - Kia Forum
User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: brackney, PA
Posts: 8
Drives: 2006 Sportage & '86 Jag
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Angry a/c COMPRESSOR clutch ?

hello all...
just registered after checking out this forum, mainly to see if people are having the same issues as me with 2006 Sportage 2.7L. as i see SOME people ARE (cruise control issue!, interior scratches, Timing belt, etc.).

i've NOT seen any posts re: a/c COMPRESSOR clutch which has gone bad on my '06 w/ 63k.

some mechanics won't touch as for 'special A/C equipment' needed.
one price i got was $2,850 for: a/c compressor replacement, timing belt & water pump... includes labor & parts.

i was SHOCKED at this price & am looking around for better solutions to fit my budget. i've treated this vehicle well (except for high miles).
the a/c COMPRESSOR is JUST out of warranty of 60k (of course!).

one question one person had is can u simply replce the a/c clutch without replacing the entire compressor? ANY OPINIONS? my wife says just replace it all in case & that may be a good point.

overall, i WAS happy with the Sportage until this recent MAJOR problem and NOW i notice the high cost of Kia's "warranty upkeep" and Kia not honoring something that just went out of it's obvious time frame., in other words that part usually breaks @ 60k.

couple that problem with the cruise control not working, timing belt, etc. and i think it looks like u get what u pay for.

i'd love some feedback! as i told KIA (who happily told me "the new models are great"), i won't be buying another KIA in the future.

thnx.

Last edited by Cino; 01-03-2010 at 04:43 PM. Reason: addition
Cino is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
ron1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 4,600
Drives: Kia Elan
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage

Default

Welcome to the forum.

For the AC clutch, I suggest you take it to a reputable AC company and although I don't have experience of them changing just the magnetic clutch, I have heard of them doing just that.

I would do the TB etc. when due, and for that you could also consider a good non-Kia service center.
You could get the TB kit and WP online.

For service info register (free) with KiaTechInfo and click on 'Shop' on the left, and for elect schematics click on 'ETM'.

Quality and not quantity counts.

Sig image is 500X100 at 11.7 kb
ron1004 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:21 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: brackney, PA
Posts: 8
Drives: 2006 Sportage & '86 Jag
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default

ron:

THNX for the reply!

i'll post how things go. my wife thinks that PERHAPS a faulty ac compressor CAUSED the clutch to go... in other words ,if u don't replace the whole compressor will the clutch go again?

KIA said the water pump should be FINE at 63k... ?

i also found out how important the timing belt being changed is.

so u like KIA's?
Cino is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM
Veteran
 
kiaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 1,252
Drives: 2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiaracer Send a message via MSN to kiaracer Send a message via Yahoo to kiaracer
Default

for that price you could get it done at the dealer and still have money left over. you can replace the external parts on the compressor but if something in the compressor messed up and burned the clutch up, you'd be safer to replace the whole thing. reman compressors from the dealership i work for cost in the ball park of $300. this is for a complete compressor assembly. it amazes me how many people i've seen in the past month get ripped off by independent shops, and even after the shop "repaired" the vehicle...it still wasn't fixed. i'd go to a dealer or a reputable independent shop that knows what they're doing and is at least familiar with your vehicle.

i wouldn't be concerned with the water pump unless it's giving you problems or making noise. i've never changed one when changing timing belt on any vehicle unless it actually needed one...unless it was my own vehicle...because i didn't feel it necessary to have the customer throwing away money on something that wasn't bad. the only engine that i've seen that i'd be concerned with would be the 3.5 V6's because they occasionally have water pump problems. it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money. the 2.7 is a great engine and rarely has problems.

as for the cruise control problem, does it work intermittently? like you set it and it just cuts off by itself?

"One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys."

Last edited by kiaracer; 01-03-2010 at 06:44 PM. Reason: additional info
kiaracer is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: brackney, PA
Posts: 8
Drives: 2006 Sportage & '86 Jag
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default

kiaracer:
thnx for the reply.
i've not had any water pump problems. the shop was like "since we're in there kinda thing". but it was like $500... i'm barely working right now so $ IS an issue. also, they want $700 JUST for the compressor plus $900 in labor, that's what made me BALK.

have u heard of a/c compressor problems at this mileage on a Sportage? it seems out of the ordinary from reading the forum.

ps: i meant to mention in original post that i bought this vehicle NEW.

Last edited by Cino; 01-03-2010 at 06:47 PM. Reason: addition
Cino is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator
 
ron1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 4,600
Drives: Kia Elan
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Garage

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaracer View Post
reman compressors from the dealership i work for cost in the ball park of $300. this is for a complete compressor assembly.
That's a damn good price, and at that I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere.

For service info register (free) with KiaTechInfo and click on 'Shop' on the left, and for elect schematics click on 'ETM'.

Quality and not quantity counts.

Sig image is 500X100 at 11.7 kb
ron1004 is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Full Member
 
lilmule's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ponoka
Posts: 82
Drives: 09 borrego new 03 dodge diesel
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cino View Post
hello all...
just registered after checking out this forum, mainly to see if people are having the same issues as me with 2006 Sportage 2.7L. as i see SOME people ARE (cruise control issue!, interior scratches, Timing belt, etc.).

i've NOT seen any posts re: a/c COMPRESSOR clutch which has gone bad on my '06 w/ 63k.

some mechanics won't touch as for 'special A/C equipment' needed.
one price i got was $2,850 for: a/c compressor replacement, timing belt & water pump... includes labor & parts.

i was SHOCKED at this price & am looking around for better solutions to fit my budget. i've treated this vehicle well (except for high miles).
the a/c COMPRESSOR is JUST out of warranty of 60k (of course!).

one question one person had is can u simply replce the a/c clutch without replacing the entire compressor? ANY OPINIONS? my wife says just replace it all in case & that may be a good point.

overall, i WAS happy with the Sportage until this recent MAJOR problem and NOW i notice the high cost of Kia's "warranty upkeep" and Kia not honoring something that just went out of it's obvious time frame., in other words that part usually breaks @ 60k.

couple that problem with the cruise control not working, timing belt, etc. and i think it looks like u get what u pay for.

i'd love some feedback! as i told KIA (who happily told me "the new models are great"), i won't be buying another KIA in the future.

thnx.
Hey sorry that you are having the problems, Am i understanding that at 63k miles the dealer said no warrenty? That is wierd the dealerships in canada here bend over backward for me? Not allot of issues but the few i have had the service has been amazing.
I dont know if it would help in the states but i would call kia usa and talk to them. Hope you get it fixed at a low cost
lilmule is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Veteran
 
kiaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 1,252
Drives: 2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiaracer Send a message via MSN to kiaracer Send a message via Yahoo to kiaracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cino View Post
kiaracer:
thnx for the reply.
i've not had any water pump problems. the shop was like "since we're in there kinda thing". but it was like $500... i'm barely working right now so $ IS an issue. also, they want $700 JUST for the compressor plus $900 in labor, that's what made me BALK.

have u heard of a/c compressor problems at this mileage on a Sportage? it seems out of the ordinary from reading the forum.

ps: i meant to mention in original post that i bought this vehicle NEW.
lol $900 for labor to put a compressor on a 2.7?! wow. yeah, go to another shop because they wanna take your wallet for a ride. i can do it in an hour. that includes recovering and recharging the refrigerant (and i hope they aren't gonna charge you for the refrigerant that they put back in after they recover it). we charge $89.95 an hour for labor so roughly $90 plus $300 or so for the reman OEM Kia compressor, you're out of there for a little over $400 after you include taxes. they're taking you for a ride.

i have replaced many compressors on kias and they aren't limited to the sportages. usually it's during the summer because that's when they're in use. i don't really remember how many i put in this past summer. the reasons would range from internal noise from the compressor to leaking seals and stuff like that but i never had a frozen one.

as for the water pump, it's good insurance to replace it because if by chance it does go out on you later on, you'd have to pay to have everything torn down to the timing belt to have the water pump replaced. but i've only seen water pumps have problems on the 3.5L and never on a 2.7 that was maintained properly so i should think you will be ok by not replacing it if it's not making noise, spins freely, and doesn't have any play in the bearings. i'd probably consider replacing it when you have your 2nd timing belt done just because the water pump would have 120K on it and it'd be more likely to fail the older it gets.

"One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys."

Last edited by kiaracer; 01-03-2010 at 11:44 PM. Reason: additional info
kiaracer is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Veteran
 
kiaracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Pittsboro, NC
Posts: 1,252
Drives: 2000 Kia Sephia LS, 1998 Kia Sportage 4x4, 2002 Kia Sportage 4x4
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiaracer Send a message via MSN to kiaracer Send a message via Yahoo to kiaracer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1004 View Post
That's a damn good price, and at that I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere.
other dealers may be different but that's what our dealership charges. not sure what MSRP is on it.

"One who is slack in his work is brother to one who destroys."
kiaracer is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 01-04-2010, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
 
1fastkia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Vermont
Posts: 6,102
Drives: 08 Sportage, 87 Mazda RX-7
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiaracer View Post
for that price you could get it done at the dealer and still have money left over. you can replace the external parts on the compressor but if something in the compressor messed up and burned the clutch up, you'd be safer to replace the whole thing. reman compressors from the dealership i work for cost in the ball park of $300. this is for a complete compressor assembly. it amazes me how many people i've seen in the past month get ripped off by independent shops, and even after the shop "repaired" the vehicle...it still wasn't fixed. i'd go to a dealer or a reputable independent shop that knows what they're doing and is at least familiar with your vehicle.

i wouldn't be concerned with the water pump unless it's giving you problems or making noise. i've never changed one when changing timing belt on any vehicle unless it actually needed one...unless it was my own vehicle...because i didn't feel it necessary to have the customer throwing away money on something that wasn't bad. the only engine that i've seen that i'd be concerned with would be the 3.5 V6's because they occasionally have water pump problems. it's up to you if you want to spend the extra money. the 2.7 is a great engine and rarely has problems.

as for the cruise control problem, does it work intermittently? like you set it and it just cuts off by itself?
So you work for kia and have never changed a water pump unless its making noise or giving problems? At a 60K mile service (tbelt including) THEY HAVE TO BE CHANGED. Its part of the service from KIA.
So if a customer comes in for 60K mile service (it includes tbelt, water pump and other items) you just don't change it if not making noise) 60K miles service is a set price and all mentioned above is included.
With that said, I guess the customers comming to that kia service center are not getting it done, even though they are paying for it. Or you just saying that you never have.

08 Kia Sportage
07 Saturn Aura
87 Mazda RX-7
Working on a 07 RX-8

The Old
99 Sephia, 01 Spectra, 05 Spectra
1fastkia is offline  
Reply

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sportage Forum > 2G (2005-2010) Sportage


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On