Kia Forum banner

Fuel Pump is not working

22K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  04SorentoLX 
#1 ·
Specs: 2003 Kia Sorento Ex U.S.A 4wd 105000 milage 3.5L non deisal model.

My wife came home one night, got out of the Kia, and came in the house... I went back out to go to the store, and the Kia would not start...thought that fuel pump was not working...I've replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one, but it still does not work...I've checked all my fuses and relays and they are good...I bypass all fuse and relays with a test wire to the fuel pump at the diagnostic as mention a kia-tech.com, and the fuel pump did work then...But will not work when ignition switch is turned on with key....Whatever part you tell me to check, please tell me where the part can be found

#5 ·
Yes I did, I did a diagnostic jump to activate the fuel pump and crank at the same time, yet it only crank and not start. I also check the inertia switch and press it down just in case, and still wouldn't crank. I don't know, probraly going to take this sick boy to the shop. Just wanted to save few dollars incase it was a easy fix.

#7 ·
Replying to SorentoLx, Yes i did ineed press the fuel pump/inertia black button to reset the fuel pump just incase the car think it was roll over or involvled in a accident, however same result, all crank but no go. However I have been playing with the fuel pump and with the ign turn to on, the fuel pump is heard whistling without jumping, so I am assuming at this point it is not fuel pump or relay, and with the quick starter fluid being able to start the engine when cranked, I'm assuming that it must be a sensor somewhere, could of been a crank sensor that kia recall for these models turning bad agian. I'm going to take it to the shop today to see what they say.

#8 · (Edited)
Opps me bad. Sorry I now do see and missed the "I tried the ether trick" and it did run for you very short time. So the coils were firing at some point then to do that. HUMMMMM and now you state that the pump did infact work (you just found) before? and also when you were playing and jumping it? This leads one to think it is not fuel or coil related or crank sensor. But you might be wrong. And think it the crank sensor not triggering the coils intermit as we thought from the TBS. It might have been yes the fuel still. But the problem is not that the pump is not working as you hear it and jumped it. But that what it is doing is no good. And fuel is not getting to the fuel rail and injectors. You might have a clogged filter as you did not tell us when if ever it was changed out. 2003 with 105,000 is not good to be vague. The other thing is the crank sensor also triggers the injectors. SO in the end is could be the crank not triggering the injectors to pulse but it will run on ether. Pulling codes would have been the easy way but i think you did not wish to make it easy on yourself. And narrowing it down to the filter fast or the crank for one or the other reasons by code. Hope shop pulls codes and not help you run in circles more now.
As one last thing, I assume wife told you if the Fuel Guage was acting up? Or if you knew you would have told us? Pulling teeth for info is sometimes the worst way to give help. Thier is a TSB on that too. Mine had it done, a new (not sold seperate) sender. And it showed up as classic for Sorentos depends on the day or time of day "full tank shows empty,1/4-3/4 tank shows anything but that while moving and makes you sick watching it bounce,empty tank is full". This will make for a simple situation/issue that we all assumed was not the case. Need I say it?

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.