Kia Forum banner

DIY Timing Belt - WARNING Interference Engine - Service Interval

354K views 104 replies 46 participants last post by  Vincent Sherman 
#1 · (Edited)
Removal for 1.6L engines :

REMOVAL 1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Loosen power steering lock bolts and nuts accordingly and remove tension from power steering (P/S) and/or air conditioning(A/C) compressor drive belt.
3. Remove P/S and/or A/C drive belt.
4. Loosen generator mounting bolts and adjusting bolt.
5. Remove generator bolts.
6. Remove water pump pulley.
7. Remove crankshaft pulley.
8. Remove upper and lower timing belt covers.
9. Turn crankshaft so that timing mark ontiming belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine.
10. Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

Do not move camshaft or crankshaft once timing marks have been correctly positioned.
11. Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt.
12. Protect timing belt with a rag.
13. Remove tensioner pulley.
14. Remove timing belt.

Mark the direction of timing belt rotation (on the timing belt) for proper reinstallation.
INSTALLATION 1. Install tensioner pulley.

Replace tensioner spring whenever timing belt is replaced.
2. Pull tensioner pulley to its furthest point and tighten lock bolt.
3. Check that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine.
4. Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

If existing timing belt is being reused install belt in proper rotation direction marked prior to removal.
5. Install timing belt onto timing belt pulley first, then idler pulley, exhaust camshaft pulley, intake camshaft pulley, and tensioner pulley in that order.
6. Check that there is no looseness in the belt between idler pulley and exhaust camshaft pulley or between intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys.
7. Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow tensioner spring to apply tension to timing belt.

Do not add additional tension.
8. Tighten tensioner pulley lock bolt to specified torque.
Tightening torque:28~38 lb-ft (38~51 N·m, 3.9~5.2 kg-m)
9. Rotate crankshaft two full revolutions (clockwise only) and align timing mark on timing belt pulley with timing mark on engine block.
10. Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley are aligned with marks on seal plate.
11. If they are not aligned, remove timing belt and start process from tensioner&;nbsp;installation.
12. Measure timing belt deflection by applying moderate pressure midway between camshaft pulleys If deflection is not correct, repeat from tensioner installation.
Deflection pressure:22 Ib. (98 N, 10 kg)Deflection:0.39~0.50 in. (11~13 mm)
13. Install lower and upper timing belt covers in that order.
Tightening torque:5.8~8.0 Ib-ft (7.9~10.7 N·m, 0.8~1.1 kg-m)
14. Install timing belt guide plate and crankshaft pulley.
Tightening torque:9.0~12.6 lb-ft (12.3~17.2 N·m, 1.3~1.8 kg-m)
15. Install water pump pulley.
16. Install generator belt and adjust the tension.

17. Install P/S and/or A/C drive belt and adjust the tension.
18. Connect negative battery cable.
INSPECTION

Never forcefully twist, turn inside out or bend timing belt. Do not allow oil or grease to come in contact with timing belt.
1. Replace timing belt if it is contaminated with oil or grease.
2. Check timing belt for uneven wear, fraying, peeling, cracking and hardening. Replace timing belt as necessary.

3. Bend timing belt into a "U" shape as shown in figure. Distance "A" must be at least 1.0 in (25 mm).
4. Inspect both idler pulley and tensioner pulley for uneven wear and smooth bearing operation.

5. Inspect camshaft pulleys and timing belt pulley for broken teeth or damage.

Replace any component that shows damage, excessive wear, or that appears prone to a possible failure

Removal for 1.5L engines :

1.Disconnect negative battery cable.
2.Loosen power steering lock bolts and nuts accordingly and remove tension from power steering (P/S) and/or air conditioning (A/C) compressor drive belt.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/PASSENGER/KM/KMA/ENG/SHOP-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b600a.gif

3.Remove P/S and/or A/C drive belt.
4.Loosen generator mounting bolts and adjusting bolt.
5.Remove generator bolts.
6.Remove water pump pulley.
7.Remove crankshaft pulley.
8.Remove upper and lower timing belt covers.
9.Turn crankshaft so that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine.
10.Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/PASSENGER/KM/KMA/ENG/SHOP-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b600b.gif

11.Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt.
12.Protect timing belt with a rag.
13.Remove tensioner pulley.
14.Remove timing belt.

Install :

1.Install tensioner pulley
2.Pull tensioner pulley to its furthest point and tighten lock bolt.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/PASSENGER/KM/KMA/ENG/SHOP-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b620a.gif
3.Check that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine

4.Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/PASSENGER/KM/KMA/ENG/SHOP-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b620b.gif

5.Install timing belt onto timing belt pulley first, then idler pulley, exhaust camshaft pulley, intake camshaft pulley, and tensioner pulley in that order.
6.Check that there is no looseness in belt between idler pulley and exhaust camshaft pulley or between intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys.
7.Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow tensioner spring to apply tension to timing belt.
8.Tighten tensioner pulley lock bolt to specified torque.
Tightening torque:28~38 lb-ft (38~51 N·m, 3.9~5.2 kg-m)
9.Rotate crankshaft two full revolutions (clockwise only) and align timing mark on timing belt pulley with timing mark on engine block.
10.Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley are aligned with marks on seal plate.
11.If they are not aligned, remove timing belt and start process from tensioner installation.
12.Measure timing belt deflection by applying moderate pressure midway between camshaft pulleys. If deflection is not correct, repeat from tensioner installation
Deflection pressure:22 Ib. (98 N, 10 kg)Deflection:0.39~0.50 in. (11~13 mm)
13.Install lower and upper timing belt covers in that order.
Tightening torque:5.8~8.0 Ib-ft (7.9~10.7 N·m, 0.8~1.1 kg-m)
14.Install timing belt guide plate and crankshaft pulley.
15.Install water pump pulley.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/PASSENGER/KM/KMA/ENG/SHOP-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b600a.gif

16.Install generator belt and adjust the tension.

17.Install P/S and/or A/C drive belt and adjust the tension.
18.Connect negative battery cable.

[/SIZE]

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
andydye25801 said:
My father in law is replacing my timing belt and he is needing I believe he said the print out so he can get the timing right. Is that information in what you posted, I know nothing about cars. Thanks
Go to the links posted by Raven1210 and you will find the needed pictures with description which can be printed for your father in law.

Global Service Way

#7 · (Edited)
It was over due, it had 77K on it. It was my fault, was going about 40 when it just quit. Coasted to a stop with the clutch out so the motor was still turning.
I never heard of the word "interference engine " before this, now I know better.
I'm just amazed that someone would design a engine that the whole survival depends on a darn belt!!!!!!!......If this was the sixty's and you were a engineer designing cars you would been laugh at if you came up this junk.
Anyway I got a used motor from a junk yard. When I called the guy said come on down and you can start it and here it run its still in the car. when I got there it was the same exact car, even color, it was just wrecked in the rear. I started it and it ran fine, no noises and very responsive when you stepped on the gas.
Before i put in the car needless to say i changed the timing belt, what was odd was when I lined up the timing marks before I removed the belt the exhaust cam spocket was off 1 tooth, I couldn't believe it, i even rotated the motor a number of times and it was off..........I was surprised it ran so good when i started it at the junk yard. I'll bet if I could have driven it it would have been real sluggish. I don't believe it was the original belt, I can just hear the previous owner of that car saying "you know ever since I had that timing belt changed the car has never run right" lol
Its in the car now and running fine. (I also changed the tensioner, idler and water pump)
tinman

#9 · (Edited)
wow it's like deja vu all over again...and again, and again, and again... lol. you're going to go through the steps like we all have (timing belt breakers)... it is what it is... i can't believe it did that kind of damage at 40mph... we were going 35-40 and only had a couple of little holes in pistons and there were valves stuck in the holes.. just had dents in the others from all the other valves breaking off. i bet your belt broke completely as opposed to only a few teeth breaking off as is more typical. to say the least you are probably for certain going to have to go back with oversized pistons on those cylinders... i'd upgrade that orange fram too.. lol

#10 ·
i just threw up in my mouth upon seeing what happened,i was coming off the exit and the car just died.....nothing....i had it towed home and changed the timing belt it took me 9hrs yuck!! i started the car and it sounds like its on 3 cyl. im afraid to do a compression test....what are the chances i need a new motor??? i love my kia im just dreading the worst!!!

thanks
fabio:(

#11 ·
Newbie to the forum Timing Belt Issue

Well I too am a victim of the dreaded timing belt mishap. (I think) It's a 02 Kia Rio Cinto I bought for my daughter. Previous owner said he thought the belt had been replaced . It now has 120k miles.

Same characteristics; exiting the interstate yesterday and it just died when she came to a stop. I towed it home last night and began the investigation. I tried starting it once, but it struggled to rotate. It is an automatic, so I don't think it died a violent death. I'm sure SHE tried numerous times to start it. The belt looks in good condition, but there is a little slack between the cam pulleys. The cam pulleys appear to be in sync. I would assume it slipped on the crankshaft pulley . I'm still disassembling to get to the timing marks on the crank to see how far out it is. If it's only out a little, I'm thinking about getting it back in time and running a compression test before I spend allot of money and time on it.

Can I even begin to hope I didn't bend a valve? Has anyone ever had one to calmly stop running due to the timing belt and it NOT bend valves?????

Thanks for listening!

#13 ·
Well I too am a victim of the dreaded timing belt mishap. (I think) It's a 02 Kia Rio Cinto I bought for my daughter. Previous owner said he thought the belt had been replaced . It now has 120k miles.

Same characteristics; exiting the interstate yesterday and it just died when she came to a stop. I towed it home last night and began the investigation. I tried starting it once, but it struggled to rotate. It is an automatic, so I don't think it died a violent death. I'm sure SHE tried numerous times to start it. The belt looks in good condition, but there is a little slack between the cam pulleys. The cam pulleys appear to be in sync. I would assume it slipped on the crankshaft pulley . I'm still disassembling to get to the timing marks on the crank to see how far out it is. If it's only out a little, I'm thinking about getting it back in time and running a compression test before I spend allot of money and time on it.

Can I even begin to hope I didn't bend a valve? Has anyone ever had one to calmly stop running due to the timing belt and it NOT bend valves?????

Thanks for listening!
Best of luck but those are tiny tiny valves and I can see why they bend so easy

#14 ·
I stickyed this because so people can see what happens when a belt breaks. These are very good pictures to remind everyone to replace the belt when its due
it sure woke me up..........so much so that we also have pt cruiser with 83K on it and I just changed that belt this weekend before I have another bad experience...........I must say the kia was about 100 times easier to work on that the pt cruiser what a nightmare that car is to work on. dealer wanted between $800-$1000 to chnage the belt because so much stuff has to come off.

#15 ·
2004 Rio timing belt need advice ASAP

A friend brought me his Kia and asked me if I could put a timing belt on for him. I said no prob, and I got into it today and put the new belt on. However i'm not sure I got the cam gears correct, what does the white dot line up with ? I have the I and E straight up to the marks. But I see that the gears can be put on 180 off because of the "slot" that allws the alignment pin to go on either side.

Also after searching the forum it looks like the engine is probably shot, the belt went while he was driving and i'm sure he kept cranking to try and get it to start after it died on him. Is it a guarantee that the pistons and valve will get damaged when the belt breaks ? Is there a easy way to tell ?

Thanks alot for the help,
Mike

#21 ·
make sure the pins on both cams are at 12 o'clock. the "I" on the intake cam should be at 12 o'clock with the pin at 12 o'clock on the intake came and the "E" on the exhaust cam should be at 12 o'clock with the pin at 12 o'clock on that cam also. i can have a picture up in a second if you want.

#23 ·
the dots don't mean anything because both sprockets have them on the "E". i just happened to have a couple rio cams and sprockets so i got them out and my wife took a couple pictures to post.

this is what the intake cam should look like...

this is what the exhaust cam should look like...

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
oK so I am new here and my daughter has a 2003 Rio with 80,000 miles on it.

I have seen the pics in other posts here and don't want those problems so i am getting the belt kit in the morning and also found some directions.

Just how often does this belt need changing? and how do i know if this is a interference engine or not?

it is 1.6L 2003 Rio

Thanks for the help
Dad

#26 ·
Just how often does this belt need changing? Is hers due now?
For the procedure refer to KIA TECH INFO - link below. It requires registration, but it is free.
It may be overdue already... If you do not have a receipt or any other confirmation that the belt was replaced - do it now. It is due approx. 60k miles (100k km).
You see what happens whet it gets bad :)

How often? Every 60k miles.

And BTW. Welcome to the forum. Add some info to your profile so that we will not be asking you every time where do you live, what do you drive...

#28 · (Edited)
You say you have 80,000 miles on it correct. If the belt has not been changed, and there is no way of really knowing, its 20,000 overdue for a change. Get that puppy changed.

The 03 Rio's are an interference engine, if you don't want to take my word for it "after all this is the internet" do a search on the Gates belt sight.

I would use a Gates belt instead of an oem belt, also replace the idler pully and tension spring. I'd wait for the next change at 120,000 for a water pump change.

Hope this helps and Welcome to the forum, lots of info and help here.

jcwit

BTW all parts needed are available at Autozone and Advance Auto.

#30 ·

I have seen the pics in other posts here and don't want those problems so i am getting the belt kit in the morning and also found some directions.

Just how often does this belt need changing? and how do i know if this is a interference engine or not?

it is 1.6L 2003 Rio

Thanks for the help
Dad
Just copied my response from other thread where you asked the same question.

For the procedure refer to KIA TECH INFO - link below. It requires registration, but it is free.
It may be overdue already... If you do not have a receipt or any other confirmation that the belt was replaced - do it now. It is due approx. 60k miles (100k km).
You see what happens whet it gets bad

How often? Every 60k miles.

And BTW. Welcome to the forum. Add some info to your profile so that we will not be asking you every time where do you live, what do you drive...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.