Kia Forum banner

Anyone changed the idler pulley for the serpentine belt?

6K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sedona no 1 
#1 ·
I am having a terrible squeaking noise coming from the belts. I have taken off the AC belt and eliminated that one. It was making the noise when we got it back in October 2006 and subsequently had the auto tensioner and both the serpentine belt and AC belt changed. It did seem to stop it but then came back and went again. Therefore i have narrowed it down to the idler pulley being at fault.

Has anyone changed an idler pulley for the serpentine belt on a 2000 2.9TDi? I believe i have the right torx bit to get it undone but is it easier to get to it from underneath or does the engine mount have to be removed?

Any advice on the proceedure would be most grateful. I spent £60 on a Sedona workshop manual from Kia and it doesn't say anything about changing the idler pulley.

Thanks in advance, hope someone can help ASAP as it's driving me up the wall now.

#3 ·
Well... I think it's too early to say that i have fixed the problem as i only got round to it yesterday. I couldn't remove the idler pulley as whoever put it on in the first place must have done it really tight and because it uses a torx bit to do it up, it just completely rounded off so i will have to think about how to get it off if it continues to squeak.

I did notice the other week that the engine mount (No. 3) on the side with the belts had completely gone so i ordered another at a pricely sum of £240. I fitted it yesterday after having to give up with the idler pulley and the squeaking seems to have stopped, coincidence?

I am starting to belive the engine mount was what was causing the squeaking but time will tell to put my theory to the test.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.