Kia Forum banner

KIA and the Crankshaft problem.

4K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  lauragoodwin 
#1 ·
I have relatively new LS 1.1 manual but I wish to keep it a long time. However, if the crankshaft design fault (and it clearly is a fault) is not resolved by KIA then I will have no choice but to offload it as soon as poss and buy a decent reliable european make such as citreon, peugeot, renault or vw. They are more expensive but don't have big engine design faults. Anyone know how we, as picanto owners, can pursuade KIA to sort the problem out once and for all? Otherwise the Picanto could be condemned as one of Korea's motoring failures! For the moment the car runs very well and I cannot complain but I tend to keep my cars for at least ten years and if the Picanto won't survive more than 3 or 4, I will be severely disappointed and I (I would imagine a large number of other buyers too) will not touch another KIA again!

#3 ·
Hi DjKemp1. I would be interested to know how many miles/kilometers your Picanto has done so far. (Also what model it is).
According to previous contributors to the forum KIA have only 'temporarily' fixed the problem and it will occur further down the line, perhaps when the car is older (and out of warranty!). I'm confused myself and it would be reassuring to hear from someone who really knows what the true situation is. Anyone out there?

#4 ·
crankshaft fault

hi all what exactly is this fault ? aas you all well know now with my rantings , my pic a 93000 mile 2004 1.1se has had a crankshaft bolt replaced under warranty at about 10000 miles , it now coughs splutters missfires at 1500/2500 rpm and is in general a sick puppy ,is this maybe the fault you all mention . oh and ps i wouldnt have another as long as i have a hole in my ar**e swampduck

#5 ·
my picanto is a 55 plate (06 model) LX version and has done about 11500 miles now and like i say is coming up to 3 years old. so far i haven't had any problems with it at all (touches wood).

i would also like to know if the crankshaft problem still occurs as from what i read it was only affecting earlier models and after 04 (as long as the engine was manufactured after 04) the problem has been rectified. can anyone else confirm this??

how much would something like that cost then if it went down the line?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.