Sorento 2016 V6 towing capacity 5000lb? why? - Kia Forum
 32Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:37 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Sorento 2016 V6 towing capacity 5000lb? why?

Well looking at the towing capacity for the 2016 V6 Sorento, it is now at 5,000lb. But the 2.0 Turbo which has more torque is only rated at 3,500lb. So how is it that the V6 has a higher rating. More confusing is that the 2015 V6 is also only 3,500lb. Both 2015 and 2016 V6 are identical. Called KIA Canada and they absolutely no help. unable to even talk to anyone technical. They just quoted the manual. No help at all. It can not be the hitch because the hitch for a 2015 is way stronger (rated at 6,000lb TW @ 900lb) than the 2016 (rated at 5,000lb TW @ 750lb)and even the 2016 has smaller attachment bolts on the driver side hitch than on the 2015. It has only 3 bolts instead of 4 and 2 of the bolts are 7/16 on the 2016 and 1/2 inch on the 2015. Go figure.

On the internet, can not find any technical reason. I would guess that maybe the transmission is different now on the 2016 V6 compared to the 2.0 Turbo.

Does anyone have any additional info that they can share about this? So less beefier hitch for the 2016 but has more towing capacity with the V6. Really confusing.

buddyrm is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
 
cobra259's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 4,418
Drives: 1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)

Welcome to the site.
Do you own a Sorento? If so what year?
cobra259 is offline  
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Sorento 2016 V6 EX 7-passenger. Why do you ask.?
buddyrm is offline  
 
post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:07 AM
Veteran
 
conwelpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PEC, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,991
Drives: 2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
Gallery: 38
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Garage

its not the hitch or the engine its due to the all new platform and more high-strength steel (53%) which created a stronger body structure. You can do a lot to a platform when its all new and you are basically starting from scratch. (I've seen this mentioned in some of the reviews).

to quote from the press release:
"Kia’s design and engineering teams focused on a stronger body structure"
"“During the development process, engineers started from the ground up by reinforcing an already stiff body structure."


Here's some tech specs which I've made up compared to the previous model.





also explains why they also aced the IIHAS small overlap with no problem.

Please fill out your location and drives details, helps put your comments in context.

Last edited by conwelpic; 03-11-2015 at 09:11 AM.
conwelpic is offline  
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwelpic View Post
its not the hitch or the engine its due to the all new platform and more high-strength steel (53%) which created a stronger body structure. You can do a lot to a platform when its all new and you are basically starting from scratch. (I've seen this mentioned in some of the reviews).

to quote from the press release:
"Kia’s design and engineering teams focused on a stronger body structure"
"“During the development process, engineers started from the ground up by reinforcing an already stiff body structure."


Here's some tech specs which I've made up compared to the previous model.





also explains why they also aced the IIHAS small overlap with no problem.

Please fill out your location and drives details, helps put your comments in context.
Not the case. I agree that it is stronger but there is more to it. Like I said, the attachment points on the new hitch is less robust than the 2015. If it was structural, then the 2.0 Turbo with more torque can easily do 5,000lb. But it is still at 3,500lb. I do not think it is only that. It has to be more, I got some feedback that the transmission on the 2016 V6 is different. I am trying to confirm that through Kia. That would make more sense.
buddyrm is offline  
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:38 AM
Veteran
 
conwelpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PEC, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,991
Drives: 2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
Gallery: 38
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Garage

okay, but it doesn't change anything. Are you trying to say that yours is not capable of towing 5000 lbs?

The turbo has 50 less hp, they would not indicate 3500 lbs if it could do 5000 lbs. (but the turbo is equal to the towing capacity of the 2015 V6).
For the V6 I would say its the same transmission as before, they have just tweaked it a bit by the final drive ratio as the gear ratios are still the same as the 2015 model.

Please fill out your location and drives details, helps put your comments in context.
conwelpic is offline  
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 11:45 AM
Super Moderator
 
cobra259's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Waterford MI
Posts: 4,418
Drives: 1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)

I don't understand what the problem is?? You can safely tow 5000 lbs, Kia has said so. Do you not believe this? Or is it something else?
cobra259 is offline  
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra259 View Post
I don't understand what the problem is?? You can safely tow 5000 lbs, Kia has said so. Do you not believe this? Or is it something else?
No not at all. I believe it. I just want to understand what the reason is that it is so much different from the 2015. It can not be just the structure. I would like to know how they arrived at 5,000lb without guessing what they did. It would be nice if there was a full technical list of the differences in detail between the 2015 V6 and V6 2016. I purchased the 2016 V6 for the reason of 5000lb, but I would have liked the 2.0 Turbo but no one including the dealer or Kia Canada could answer me why.

By the way, 250 LB of torque at 5,200 RPM does nothing for towing. Anyone in the industry knows that it's not HP but torque that you need for towing and if it comes in at a wide range, is far superior than the V6. So I could have saved some money and do the 2.0 route but instead I had to do the V6 route without full getting the answer why. I am an mechanical engineer, so it would be nice to know what we purchased other than what is marked in a sales brochure, which by the way are full of errors.

Not to be naive, what is "Please fill out your location and drives details". What do I have to fill out?
buddyrm is offline  
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 04:14 PM
Veteran
 
conwelpic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: PEC, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,991
Drives: 2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
Gallery: 38
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyrm View Post

Not to be naive, what is "Please fill out your location and drives details". What do I have to fill out?
go in your "User CP" at the top right which allows you access to put in things like Avatar's or a signature line, etc.

If you go to "Edit Your Details" you can fill out where your located and also info on the vehicle(s) you own. This information is important to members reading any comments or questions you may post as vehicles are not equipped the same from one country to the next, which can also make a difference as to how we respond.
Also full details on your vehicle - year make and model can also make a difference how we respond too. Canadian models do not have all the same names as US models.
Also it saves you a lot of hassle having to keep repeating each time you post as all this info shows up on the left side of every entry (see mine to the left of this post). On an auto forum these details are important and makes it easier on everyone.
SpicyRed and Tapeworm like this.

Last edited by conwelpic; 03-11-2015 at 04:19 PM.
conwelpic is offline  
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by conwelpic View Post
go in your "User CP" at the top right which allows you access to put in things like Avatar's or a signature line, etc.

If you go to "Edit Your Details" you can fill out where your located and also info on the vehicle(s) you own. This information is important to members reading any comments or questions you may post as vehicles are not equipped the same from one country to the next, which can also make a difference as to how we respond.
Also full details on your vehicle - year make and model can also make a difference how we respond too. Canadian models do not have all the same names as US models.
Also it saves you a lot of hassle having to keep repeating each time you post as all this info shows up on the left side of every entry (see mine to the left of this post). On an auto forum these details are important and makes it easier on everyone.
Will do thanks.
conwelpic likes this.
buddyrm is offline  
Reply

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sorento Forum > 2016+ Sorento



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On