Engine Cover - Kia Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Greenville SC
Posts: 18
Drives: 2008 Sorento EX 2WD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default Engine Cover

I have an 08 EX 3.8L. How do you remove the engine cover to change the oil filter? There is one screw on the front passenger side, but what else is holding the cover in place? I don't want to just pull on it and break it.
pressd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Full Member
 
kial98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mtn West
Posts: 96
Drives: '08 Sorento, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI, '93 Civic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Not sure but if it's the same as the 2008 3.3L cover:

Remove the big plastic engine cover. Use a 10mm socket for the single bolt
that holds it in place then pull the cover up at both rear sides to remove the cover. It may take some force the first time.

There are three interference fit posts on the 3.3. I put a little lube on the top of them to make future removal easier.
kial98 is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N. Idaho
Posts: 44
Drives: 07 Sorento, 00 Ford Ranger
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kial98 View Post
Not sure but if it's the same as the 2008 3.3L cover:

Remove the big plastic engine cover. Use a 10mm socket for the single bolt
that holds it in place then pull the cover up at both rear sides to remove the cover. It may take some force the first time.

There are three interference fit posts on the 3.3. I put a little lube on the top of them to make future removal easier.
I have on 07 3.8 and it is the same. Just changed my oil and it takes some force to get it loose.
SorentoRed is offline  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Low Country East Coast USA
Posts: 2,876
Drives: 2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kial98 View Post
Not sure but if it's the same as the 2008 3.3L cover:

Remove the big plastic engine cover. Use a 10mm socket for the single bolt
that holds it in place then pull the cover up at both rear sides to remove the cover. It may take some force the first time.

There are three interference fit posts on the 3.3. I put a little lube on the top of them to make future removal easier.
Does the 3.3 have one? All the 3.3 I have seen at dealers did not. It was in many ways a funny way to tell if it was a 3.3 or 3.8. As all the 3.8 had them and they said I recall 3800 DOHC. My 3.5 has one and it reads 3500 DOHC. But the 3.3's I saw did not have them nor any say 3300 DOHC I saw. I saw it as yet another way to cheap out on the 3.3 trim more basic vechs then the 3.8. Please enlighten us if you can.
04SorentoLX is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 08:09 PM
Full Member
 
kial98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mtn West
Posts: 96
Drives: '08 Sorento, '90 Vortech Supercharged TransAm, '03 VF-34 WRX, '97 Del Sol SI, '93 Civic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04SorentoLX View Post
Does the 3.3 have one? All the 3.3 I have seen at dealers did not. It was in many ways a funny way to tell if it was a 3.3 or 3.8. As all the 3.8 had them and they said I recall 3800 DOHC. My 3.5 has one and it reads 3500 DOHC. But the 3.3's I saw did not have them nor any say 3300 DOHC I saw. I saw it as yet another way to cheap out on the 3.3 trim more basic vechs then the 3.8. Please enlighten us if you can.
My '08 LX w/Sport Package has a big black plastic engine cover.

It has a "V-6" logo toward the front and says "Oil Filter" back and center.
kial98 is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Low Country East Coast USA
Posts: 2,876
Drives: 2010 SOUL + Auto (B2522),2010 Soul SPORT Limited Edition Stick (B2581)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kial98 View Post
My '08 LX w/Sport Package has a big black plastic engine cover.

It has a "V-6" logo toward the front and says "Oil Filter" back and center.
Oh ok I see now. Does not say 3300 DOHC, just V6 and very plain. Ok Maybe all the ones I saw were not yet fully PDI'd and it was not on them. AS all I saw were clean bright and shiney alum intake runners under the hood. Oil cap for filling was very noticeable too. Unlike mine where you have to open a round door (like the gas door) in cover to get to oil filler cap.
04SorentoLX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sorento Forum > 2003-2010 Sorento Forum

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kia Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On