P0101 sensor or filter? - Kia Forum
User Tag List

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 02:15 AM
Senior Member
 
kiario04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesapeake Va
Posts: 352
Drives: 04 Kia Rio (my babe)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiario04 Send a message via Yahoo to kiario04
Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default P0101 sensor or filter?

My cel has come back on a few times after i have reset it. I have cleaned the maf sensor twice already and it comes back but it onlt does when i get on the highway. I have a k&n cone air filter and I heard that if the filter has to much oil on it that the excess oil will come off the filter and hit the sensor contaminating it. I reset the ecu, cleaned the sensor and allowed it to dry over night and went out for a while but i didnt go on the highway. I went to a local shop (that I trust) and had the ecu checked out and it that sensor came up as ready (working correctly). I got on the high way after that and the cel came on and displayed P0101. I put about 50 miles on it from resetting the ecu to getting on the highway. Now the day after, I cleaned the sensor again and reset the ecu, drove around adding about 10 miles before I got on the highway. Once I got on the highway, it came back on. Ironicaly the same general area as well. I was thinking that considering that I havent cleaned the filter in 5 months, the dirt maybe coming off the filter and contaminating the maf when I get to highway speeds. So, im debating on getting a new filter and getting the code erased from the ecu. If I get the code erased, will it come back up if the filter didnt fix the problem o will it as if the maf doesnt exist anymore.

never under estimate the power of my RIO:cool:
kiario04 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Full Member
 
Rio767pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Inland Empire, Ca. or Cruzin the skies at 500+
Posts: 131
Drives: 2003 Rio
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Had this problem a couple of times... The cure for me was the Kia TSB #Kt200510053 (Throttle Body Cleaning). Your computer might be compensating for reduced airflow. Go to the Kia website and research.
Rio767pilot is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Veteran
 
Pacosworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Urbana, IL
Posts: 1,030
Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiario04 View Post
My cel has come back on a few times after i have reset it. I have cleaned the maf sensor twice already and it comes back but it onlt does when i get on the highway. I have a k&n cone air filter and I heard that if the filter has to much oil on it that the excess oil will come off the filter and hit the sensor contaminating it. I reset the ecu, cleaned the sensor and allowed it to dry over night and went out for a while but i didnt go on the highway. I went to a local shop (that I trust) and had the ecu checked out and it that sensor came up as ready (working correctly). I got on the high way after that and the cel came on and displayed P0101. I put about 50 miles on it from resetting the ecu to getting on the highway. Now the day after, I cleaned the sensor again and reset the ecu, drove around adding about 10 miles before I got on the highway. Once I got on the highway, it came back on. Ironicaly the same general area as well. I was thinking that considering that I havent cleaned the filter in 5 months, the dirt maybe coming off the filter and contaminating the maf when I get to highway speeds. So, im debating on getting a new filter and getting the code erased from the ecu. If I get the code erased, will it come back up if the filter didnt fix the problem o will it as if the maf doesnt exist anymore.
I think the only way you're going to get rid of that code is to return it to stock.
DTC description for P101: The ECM compares the actual measured Mass Air Flow signal to the modeled Mass Air Flow value and sets the DTC P0101 when the difference between these two value is too high or too low with lambda deviation in opposite direction. The ECM illuminates the MIL on the second consecutive driving cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The modeled Mass Air Flow value is determined by engine speed, throttle angle and ISCA duty.

The ECM is seeing the MAF signal is too high because that is what a cone air filter is supposed to do, bring in more air. During city driving, the value is higher than normal, but not enough to light the CEL. During highway driving, its way out of specs and lights the CEL.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo
Pacosworld is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Member
 
kiario04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesapeake Va
Posts: 352
Drives: 04 Kia Rio (my babe)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiario04 Send a message via Yahoo to kiario04
Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacosworld View Post
I think the only way you're going to get rid of that code is to return it to stock.
DTC description for P101: The ECM compares the actual measured Mass Air Flow signal to the modeled Mass Air Flow value and sets the DTC P0101 when the difference between these two value is too high or too low with lambda deviation in opposite direction. The ECM illuminates the MIL on the second consecutive driving cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
The modeled Mass Air Flow value is determined by engine speed, throttle angle and ISCA duty.

The ECM is seeing the MAF signal is too high because that is what a cone air filter is supposed to do, bring in more air. During city driving, the value is higher than normal, but not enough to light the CEL. During highway driving, its way out of specs and lights the CEL.

True but when I purchased the car, I put it on and it gave me no problems for about a year and a half.. It just started doing this after you cleaned the filter.

and for the high and low, the codes P0102 and P0103 would come up but they dont.

never under estimate the power of my RIO:cool:
kiario04 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Member
 
kiario04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesapeake Va
Posts: 352
Drives: 04 Kia Rio (my babe)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiario04 Send a message via Yahoo to kiario04
Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio767pilot View Post
Had this problem a couple of times... The cure for me was the Kia TSB #Kt200510053 (Throttle Body Cleaning). Your computer might be compensating for reduced airflow. Go to the Kia website and research.
So just get some throttle body cleaner and wipe down the walls of the tb?

never under estimate the power of my RIO:cool:
kiario04 is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 11:17 AM
Full Member
 
Rio767pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Inland Empire, Ca. or Cruzin the skies at 500+
Posts: 131
Drives: 2003 Rio
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Yes sir....
You will see the residual around the throttle plate and the bore. If you never cleaned it before, it might have a little ring around where the plate and the bore meet. It might take a little extra cleaning in this area.
Rio767pilot is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 09-23-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Member
 
kiario04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Chesapeake Va
Posts: 352
Drives: 04 Kia Rio (my babe)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to kiario04 Send a message via Yahoo to kiario04
Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rio767pilot View Post
Yes sir....
You will see the residual around the throttle plate and the bore. If you never cleaned it before, it might have a little ring around where the plate and the bore meet. It might take a little extra cleaning in this area.
hahahaha well I whope that fixes the problem due to the fact that I have never cleaned out the tb since I first bought the car about 3 years ago.

never under estimate the power of my RIO:cool:
kiario04 is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: san diego, CA
Posts: 9
Drives: 2003 kia rio
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Default

Having the same problem here....

Already replaced MAF and filter. So cleaning the TB will fix this?
blackjack is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 05:19 PM
Expert
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: United States Pine Grove, pa
Posts: 772
Drives: 2002 Kia Rio, 2011 Kia Sorento 2005 f 250 1996 geo metro 1992 f 150
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Default

Maybe, give it a try it sure wont hurt to do it. Also don't forget to clean the IAC valve also while your at it. Use carb spray on the TB and the IAC it might make a difference. Don't use carb spray on the maf, use maf cleaner it has to be a non residue cleaner the sensor doesn't like that, advance auto has a can at 5 or 6 bucks. Kia Global Information System (KGIS) to help with your problem. Good luck with it and keep us posted
ronjohn is offline  
#10 (permalink) Old 12-14-2011, 08:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Corona, CA
Posts: 461
Drives: 05 Durango, 2012 Kia Soul+
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Garage

Default

There is a service bulletin to reprogram the ECU (04 models) to correct this. I had this issue in my Rio and the PO101 kept coming back, so I had the dealer reprogram the ECU, and then the codes went away, but then the car idled goofy(once warmed up) until I replaced my IAC valve. Everything worked great after that.
Make sure there are no vacuum leaks, they will cause the 101 and some others to come up....
Kevster is offline  
Reply

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Rio Forum > 1G (2001-2005) Rio


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On