Kia Forum banner

damp carpet on front and back on right hand side only

13K views 28 replies 8 participants last post by  cgawelko 
#1 ·
i have damp carpet on front and back on right hand side only the left front and back are bone dry, i have checked the a/c and it drips underneath ok and the coolant is not gone down

i have jet washed the car round the door seals and bonnet cowl and nothing seems to be comming in, the boot is bone dry too

what is the most likely thing that is causing this to happen

thank you

#2 ·
two things come to mind right away - first is heater core. It wont cause drastic drops in coolant level right off the bat, but it will get there. And then cabin air filter assembly is getting filled with water which runs in. Pull abin air filter and see if its wet. and if not, I would use a light and get down in there and try to trace the wet up the firewall

#3 · (Edited)
thanks for the reply

the water is just plain water not coolant and is also cold so hopefully is not the heater core as i hear it is a dash off job and i dont want that, i havent taken the cabin air filter out yet but the end of it was dry when it was sticking out under the back of the dash, i will check that though

the windows dont fog when i am driving, only when parked in the cold winter weather and clear when a/c is switched on, the heater gets red hot in normal use if you turn it up and there are no funny smells

this car is 3 months old so wont have a build up of crud to block passages, also i noticed the a/c is dripping normally out the bottom drain pipe underneath the car

the car is booked in at the dealers next week and i hope it isnt serious

#5 · (Edited)
the wiered thing is that since i noticed it last week and got rid of the leaking mat it seem to be very slowly getting better by itself, i have been driving it without any mats when it is not raining and the new rubber ones when it is to give it a chance to dry with a/c on floor setting

so if they dont find anything at the dealers and just vac out the remainder of the water it might be what i thought it was all along, faulty mats leaking for 3 to 4 weeks without being noticed although there was a lot of dampness in the padding under the carpet, maybe a little too much for mats on their own

we will see next week

#8 · (Edited)
thanks for that, since i have taken the mats out and using the a/c on floor setting and hot to dry the carpets out it is doing a very good job and even the back carpet is drying out, still damp but getting there

it could be the evap lines having moisture on and dripping down, but i have not noticed any dripping since i have been drying out the carpets on a/c hot setting

i still have no idea what caused it, i have jet washed the door seals and bonnet cowl and nothing got through so i think it was the mats leaking through from weeks of wet feet or it could be a one off a/c water overload and just needs a blast of compressed air up the drain pipe as anash8167 said

i just dont know if i should still take it to the dealer as i dont want plastic clips broken or rubber seals damaged

i might just say if they cant find anything dont worry about it as i was probably right in the first place

#13 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about this problem Dave...............I have a 7 month old 2016 hatch, and while I don't have this issue, I certainly hope the dealer finds it soon and you let us know so we can check our own vehicles.

It honestly should not be that difficult, as there are only a few potential inlet points and things to rule out when checking for water intrusion inside a vehicle. My money is on a manufacturing defect.......a human or a robot did something wrong, somewhere during assembly. The trick would be to use a color dyed water poured over the cabin ingress areas to help in the search for where it is flowing.

The main problem I think that you will face is that dealers only get paid limited amounts of warranty time for diagnostics of any kind, and this kind of situation may take much more time than they will receive in compensation, so you may get the "no fault found" story a few times or questionable fixes offered. Sad, but true........I've been in the industry for over two decades.

#14 · (Edited)
thanks rio taxi, mine is a hatch too as we dont get the saloon over here

i have noticed that on the rear door next to the wet floor is the only one that leaks a little water inbetween the plastic inner as well as the drain holes so i think that is where the water is comming from but i have not seen it going over the plastic sill cover or rubber strip at the bottom of the door and the carpet on the side of the sill is dry so unless there is something under the trim piece letting it get through to the carpet and dripping down

for 8 hours of rain it was like the video i posted above so only one drip every few seconds or so

so i think it is as simple as the polythene sheet that is glued in behind the inner door plasic cover is leaking at the bottom and letting water through (probably not glued in corectly at the factory)

lets hope that it is the problem as i cannot find any other area of wetness around the door or roof lining or wet seat belts etc

its going in on monday so i hope it is going to be fixed finally

on another note since they have re routed the a/c drain pipe i have not been getting any water dripping out of it, i have only been on short trips and sometimes in cold weather, the a/c still clears the windscreen as normal and there is no water leaking in but just a bone dry drain pipe.

#16 ·
hi, no it hasnt got a sunroof and under the pedals you can see a line between the black lower carpet and the dry upper carpet so the a/c isnt the problem either

i think it is the leak between the bottom of the back door and the plastic comming through maybe a not correctly glued in vapor seal from the factory but my only worry about that is i havent seen any water on top of the plastic trim piece at the bottom of the door so unless it is going under that and into a seam in the body i dont know because the carpets on the vertical side going up to the door is dry too

basically the car was switched off and parked with all windows up and it went from damp carpet to wet carpet after about 8 hours of rain just in the back right hand footwell, i think the wetness in the front right drivers floor is the water travelling forward when i am driving and some wet shoes as i am driving without mats at the moment to give it a chance to air off, the front and back floor on the left of the car is bone dry as is the boot carpet and inside the spare wheel well and all seats are bone dry too

thanks

#17 ·
How about a baddly seal winshield (is ti the original windshield or aftermarket ?) ?

Or a clog drain in the intake vent system at the junction of the base of the windshield and the hood (bonnet) near the wiper ?
At that place, air is being suck into the vent system, and to prevent sucking and blowing water into the passanger compartment, there is a gravity chamber that lets water drain under the car via drain tube and it sometimes gets clog by leafs and other common debris (if you park under trees often, could be one culprit)

Also, does the dampness on the floor smells "suggary" (coolant liquid does, unmistakably) and becomes stickyy when it dries up ?

Good luck

LOP

#19 ·
got it back now and it is keeping the water out good now, no water comming through the bottom of the door and door card just out the drain holes as normal, i just got to finish drying the carpet out now

it was coming from the rubber seal around the window frame and they replaced it, they said they never had one go before

so hopefully it is all fixed now, i am really happy and suprised with the result that i got from the dealer on this warranty job

#22 ·
even better now i have had two towels in all day the carpet is dry just a patch of underfelt to get to with another towel with a brick on it so well on the way and the smell has gone and no steamed up windows either

so hopefully i can now start to enjoy my car

#28 ·
not really, it would take too long and i have had enough and the dealer is terrible. At least i have tried a rio but i think i will stick to honda and now toyota from now on, it is a shame as i like the interior layout more than the yaris but i just need something that just works

thanks guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.