Kia Forum banner

how do i replace the timing belt?

26K views 24 replies 10 participants last post by  alio40 
#1 ·
does anyone have a how to to replace the timing belt? also what parts should i replace at the same time? i have an '05 Rio

#2 ·
REMOVAL 1. Disconnect negative battery cable.
2. Loosen power steering lock bolts and nuts accordingly and remove tension from power steering (P/S) and/or air conditioning (A/C) compressor drive belt.
3. Remove P/S and/or A/C drive belt.
4. Loosen generator mounting bolts and adjusting bolt.
5. Remove generator bolts.
6. Remove water pump pulley.
7. Remove crankshaft pulley.
8. Remove upper and lower timing belt covers.
9. Turn crankshaft so that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine.
10. Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on&;nbsp;exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

Do not move camshaft or crankshaft once timing marks have been correctly positioned.
11. Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt.
12. Protect timing belt with a rag.
13. Remove tensioner pulley.
14. Remove timing belt.

Mark the direction of timing belt rotation (on the timing belt) for proper reinstallation.
INSTALLATION 1. Install tensioner pulley.

Replace tensioner spring whenever timing belt is replaced.
2. Pull tensioner pulley to its furthest point and tighten lock bolt.
3. Check that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark&;nbsp;on engine.
4. Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on&;nbsp;exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

If existing timing belt is being reused, install belt in proper rotation direction marked prior to removal.
5. Install timing belt onto timing belt pulley first, then idler pulley, exhaust camshaft pulley, intake camshaft pulley, and tensioner pulley in that order.
6. Check that there is no looseness in belt between idler pulley and exhaust camshaft pulley or between intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys.
7. Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow tensioner spring to apply tension to timing belt.

Do not add additional tension.
8. Tighten tensioner pulley lock bolt to specified torque.
Tightening torque:28~38 lb-ft (38~51 N·m, 3.9~5.2 kg-m)
9. Rotate crankshaft two full revolutions (clockwise only) and align timing mark on timing belt pulley with timing mark on engine block.
10. Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley are aligned with marks on seal plate.
11. If they are not aligned, remove timing belt and start process from tensioner&;nbsp;installation.
12. Measure timing belt deflection by applying moderate pressure midway between camshaft pulleys. If deflection is not correct, repeat from tensioner installation.
Deflection pressure:22 Ib. (98 N, 10 kg)Deflection:0.39~0.50 in. (11~13 mm)
13. Install lower and upper timing belt covers in that order.
Tightening torque:5.8~8.0 Ib-ft (7.9~10.7 N·m, 0.8~1.1 kg-m)
14. Install timing belt guide plate and crankshaft pulley.
Tightening torque:9.0~12.6 lb-ft (12.3~17.2 N·m, 1.3~1.8 kg-m)
15. Install water pump pulley.
16. Install generator belt and adjust the tension.

17. Install P/S and/or A/C drive belt and adjust the tension.
18. Connect negative battery cable.
INSPECTION

Never forcefully twist, turn inside out or bend timing belt. Do not allow oil or grease to come in contact with timing belt.
1. Replace timing belt if it is contaminated with oil or grease.
2. Check timing belt for uneven wear, fraying, peeling, cracking and hardening. Replace timing belt as necessary.

3. Bend timing belt into a "U" shape as shown in figure. Distance "A" must be at least 1.0 in (25 mm).
4. Inspect both idler pulley and tensioner pulley for uneven wear and smooth bearing operation.

5. Inspect camshaft pulleys and timing belt pulley for broken teeth or damage.

Replace any component that shows damage, excessive wear, or that appears prone to a possible failure

#7 ·
I was recently told by the head mechanic at Kia that the 1st gen timing belt has been redesigned to make it stronger, however, it has slightly different shaped teeth than the original belt and if you want to ensure that your new Kia timing belt doesn't slip, you need to get the new cam gears as well as the belt. I haven't tried to confirm this or not, but I thought I should pass it on.bm

#8 · (Edited)
byron said:
I was recently told by the head mechanic at Kia that the 1st gen timing belt has been redesigned to make it stronger, however, it has slightly different shaped teeth than the original belt and if you want to ensure that your new Kia timing belt doesn't slip, you need to get the new cam gears as well as the belt. I haven't tried to confirm this or not, but I thought I should pass it on.bm
The Kia parts/service manager at my local dealership has confirmed this is NOT the case. I also called another Kia dealership in a different city and they confirmed what my local dealership told me.

#10 · (Edited)
Removal for 1.5L engines :

1.Disconnect negative battery cable.
2.Loosen power steering lock bolts and nuts accordingly and remove tension from power steering (P/S) and/or air conditioning (A/C) compressor drive belt.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/manual/shop-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b600a.gif

3.Remove P/S and/or A/C drive belt.
4.Loosen generator mounting bolts and adjusting bolt.
5.Remove generator bolts.
6.Remove water pump pulley.
7.Remove crankshaft pulley.
8.Remove upper and lower timing belt covers.
9.Turn crankshaft so that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine.
10.Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/manual/shop-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b600b.gif

11.Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt.
12.Protect timing belt with a rag.
13.Remove tensioner pulley.
14.Remove timing belt.

Install :

1.Install tensioner pulley
2.Pull tensioner pulley to its furthest point and tighten lock bolt.
3.Check that timing mark on timing belt pulley is aligned with timing mark on engine

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/manual/shop-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b620a.gif

4.Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley is aligned with mark on seal plate.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/manual/shop-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b620b.gif

5.Install timing belt onto timing belt pulley first, then idler pulley, exhaust camshaft pulley, intake camshaft pulley, and tensioner pulley in that order.
6.Check that there is no looseness in belt between idler pulley and exhaust camshaft pulley or between intake and exhaust camshaft pulleys.
7.Loosen tensioner pulley lock bolt and allow tensioner spring to apply tension to timing belt.
8.Tighten tensioner pulley lock bolt to specified torque.
Tightening torque:28~38 lb-ft (38~51 N·m, 3.9~5.2 kg-m)
9.Rotate crankshaft two full revolutions (clockwise only) and align timing mark on timing belt pulley with timing mark on engine block.
10.Check that "I" mark on intake camshaft pulley and "E" mark on exhaust camshaft pulley are aligned with marks on seal plate.
11.If they are not aligned, remove timing belt and start process from tensioner installation.
12.Measure timing belt deflection by applying moderate pressure midway between camshaft pulleys. If deflection is not correct, repeat from tensioner installation
Deflection pressure:22 Ib. (98 N, 10 kg)Deflection:0.39~0.50 in. (11~13 mm)
13.Install lower and upper timing belt covers in that order.
Tightening torque:5.8~8.0 Ib-ft (7.9~10.7 N·m, 0.8~1.1 kg-m)
14.Install timing belt guide plate and crankshaft pulley.
15.Install water pump pulley.
16.Install generator belt and adjust the tension.

http://msw.kiausa.com/data/manual/shop-Images/KM-BC13-IMAGES-ENG/lc3b600a.gif

17.Install P/S and/or A/C drive belt and adjust the tension.
18.Connect negative battery cable.

#17 ·
called local Kia dealer today, ( Guy was a jerk !) explained that we needed book with exact diagrams ( thanks for what you did though!)
he said he didn't have time to look , so he was going to fax me paper??????? hope it's what hubby needs. any idea on what the price of theses books are ? ( canadian $)
Can't wait to get hands greesy
greese monkey momma in waiting lol

#18 ·
Guess What !
I think i am figuring out this motor business lol
i think what he wants to know is which one is supposed to have a E .
Eg if you have the head so that the valves are on top ....then when you look at the pullys does the left side have the E or I and does the right side have the E or I ummm.. Eg. 2 EI or I E ?
Ps this is my thought NOT his lol ( he's still at work )
PS..... Your so nice

#19 ·
The Picture shows it has "I" "E" Not to sure tho been awhile since i did mine. If I am thinking right the "E" would be towards the headers because its the exhaust cams. And the "I" would be near the airbox because thats where the injectors are so that would be intake.

#22 ·
Raven1210 et al,

I've an '02 Rio with the 1.5 and when your facing the gears the E (Exhaust) is on the Right and the I (Intake) is on the left. BTW, Thanks TONS for all of the references and pics, some of it helped alot. However, I'm stuck HARD at removing the Crank Bolt to get the Timing Belt OFF (NOT included as a step in the instructions...unless I just missed it). This thing was put on by some 300 lb guy named Gunter, and I've already snapped one of the 10mm Pully bolts in a 'leverage' attempt to hold the Crank still while un-Guntering this bolt. Is there a 'best' way to hold the Crank that others have used? If not, do you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any info...

#23 · (Edited)
Use your 21mm socket and 1/2'' drive ratchet as a loosening bar. Place ratchet with socket on crank pully and push up against the steering rod and turn engine over with 1 quick attempt to start with key. Remove sparkplug wires off cap to prevent car from starting. This worked for me. Do not hold ratchet when doing this and keep clear. An air gun is the better chioce!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.